Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92820 - 07/20/00 03:29 PM Re: Seals?
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
HEY OSPREY, YOU DONT REALLY WANT TO WONDER WHAT SEAL IS LIKE, ITS DARK LOOKIN , IS REALLY RICH IN FLAVOR, AND LOTS OF FATTY TISSUE, IN PERSONALLY DONT LIKE IT..TASTED BAD,WHEN THEY ASKED HOW IT TASTED, I SAID NOT BAD, BUT I WAS ONLY TRYIN TO BE POLITE, EVER TRY HERRING EGGS? OR OCTIPUS? YUMMY...WELL GOOD DAY

#92821 - 07/25/00 01:18 AM Re: Seals?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Wow...the threads you see now days. LOL.
I only see one predator out there....us.

#92822 - 07/25/00 02:12 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Kill them all!!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92823 - 07/25/00 09:08 AM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
****, not to worry we are its just a bit slower than some folks want.
By chance did you catch the news article regarding the killing of what has been reported as hundreds of sea lions and harbor seals by the Canadian sea farm peasants, pretty amazing.
In the Gulf of Alaska there are areas the size of puget sound you can not fish in to provide protection for sea lions. They fine people for approaching the rookeries in most areas.
So lets get there numbers way down and then when they shut us down to the extent they have in Alaska we can all take up golf and bowling.

#92824 - 07/25/00 10:06 AM Re: Seals?
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH GOLFING AND BOWLING?
Some awfully nice people pursue these pleasures as sport and or fun.

#92825 - 07/25/00 10:22 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hundreds? Please!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92826 - 07/25/00 04:59 PM Re: Seals?
tomcostello Offline
Egg

Shame on all of you recommmending shooting or otherwise harassing seals. While losing a good catch because of a seal can be frustrating, there is more to life than the perfect catch. Seals are an integral part of the Olympic Ecosystem, and you will find that for every seal that disappears from the Olympic Watershed, 100's of Salmon and Steelhead will also disappear. When the Orcas and other whales lose out on their diet of seals, they will quickly begin feeding on your precious fish at a rate that you will find alarming.

You may also be surprised who reads this forum. Some of us anglers are also memebers of local law enforcement agencies, and two of my buddies that read this forum are with the fish and wildlife services. We'll be looking for you on the water.

My suggestion is to enjoy the Olympic experience, whether it brings you a good catch, beautiful scenery, or a glimpse at our rapidly vanishing wildlife.

#92827 - 07/25/00 05:24 PM Re: Seals?
ACEag Offline
Egg

Loc: coos bay, oregon, USA
I think have no sence of humor to speak of is a worse law to break!!

#92828 - 07/25/00 05:44 PM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
well worded Tom. Unfortunately, like alot of criminals these guys (or gals for that matter) will get away with it. Thanks for the intelligent post.

#92829 - 07/25/00 05:49 PM Re: Seals?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I don't advocate shooting or harrassing sea lions, they're just something we have to live with. But the claim that losing sea lions actually decreases the number of fish in the sound because of some predator/prey relationship with orcas is just plain false. I wish people wouldn't say such things.

The number of orcas in Puget Sound has been steady for the past 2 or 3 decades, but the number of California sea lions has increased dramatically--by over an order of magnitude. The reason for this increase is due to the rather remarkable recovery and expansion of their range from population lows experienced in the 1950s and 60s. These lows were due to reproductive impacts caused by DDT and PCBs contamination, primarily in the southern California Bight region, where the species is indigenous. Bald eagles and brown pelicans, 2 other fishing eating top predators also suffered dramatically (eggshell thinning). The banning of both substances in the 1970s, coupled with strict pollution regulations, lead to dramatic population increases and expansion of their historical ranges. Large increases of sea lions have also been observed in the San Francisco Bay area, where historically, they only had moderate populations.

The expansion to Puget Sound at their present population has occurred only in the past couple of decades, so a significant predator/prey relationship between sea lions, orcas, and salmon affecting each others populations does not exist. A negative relationship between sea lions and salmon populations does exist during some years in some watersheds. The Cedar, Cowlitz, and Lewis Rivers to name a few.

#92830 - 07/25/00 06:07 PM Re: Seals?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Well Well Deputy Tom,you need to relax .for 1 these creatures are now found in more numbers and locations then any time in their history,sounds like we need to do a little thinning of the heard,I for one would never addvocate such an evdeavor but hey you can't be everywhere ,( Native son has the right idea)
You need to put as much effort into catching the real criminals ( drug-dealers,child molesters and such) instead trying to browbeat a bunch of frustrated fisherman just having a little fun venting...
doesn't Winchells have have a web site just my little .02
And I thought the Olympic experience was in Austrailia this year?

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 07-25-2000).]

#92831 - 07/25/00 06:08 PM Re: Seals?
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
If you want to support the killing (legal?, does it matter!)of sealions in the Everett area, take a trip to Indian stores out at Tulalip. Every winter some of the Tribal fishermen kill a few sea lions and make drums out of their hides for sale to the public. Buy those drums!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bobber Down (edited 07-25-2000).]

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#92832 - 07/25/00 09:11 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Bobber Down,

Hey, I like yer idea. I think I might give that a try. we can thin them out buy buying drums from the indians. that is a great idea. thanx!!

dcrzfitter

#92833 - 07/25/00 09:56 PM Re: Seals?
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
I got to agree with you Tom on your comments about the ecosystem. Hey obsessed, do you know that Salmon go out to sea? Lets face it, harassing or killing seals or sealions is a waste of time. Harassing your politicians to do something about the nets and the dams is time better spent.

#92834 - 07/25/00 10:23 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Ok i think there are 2 dif. positions on this. I wouldn't want to waste the time going out after a sea lion/ seal or anything els like them. but If I am out and I have one that is trying to take the fish off my line that I am trying to land then It had better look out.What is natural about one of them things trying to take a fish that is on a line? Natural is them finding thier own fish that have a chance of getting away and arn't tied up. I don't bother with them when they are minding thier own business but if they wanna try and take my fish then I might take a sinker and toss it out of the boat in that direction or if I have a sling shot I might use it. Some guys I know of like to shoot bottle rockets in the water and they hear it and get away.

just another 2 bits.

dcrzfitter

#92835 - 07/25/00 10:50 PM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
Elmtree, Theres nothing wrong with golf and bowling, I constantly am recomending that others get really involved in the other outdoor sports besides angling, this will free up more water for "me" dont you see.

#92836 - 07/25/00 11:50 PM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
Osprey I would like to know if you could define a "real criminal" for the board. I agree with you that murder and child molestation are horrible crimes that deserve extreme punishments. To just "forget" about every other law or "not worry about it" is absolutely absurd.
What about white collar criminals that pollute our rivers and oceans. They are not guilty of vicious crimes, but in my opinion they should also receive severe penalties.
Lastly, the reason we must now manage just about every species minus ourselves, is because we have thrown off the natural balance of the eco-system. Now, without human intervention, chaos will occur ( mass starvation, disease, etc.) Species management is not just to "get rid" of an unwanted species.

To Bobber down:
It is is an interesting scheme that you have devised to eradicate seals. I am curious however if you are the same type of person whom one second you are complaining about the Native Americans and their "damn gillnets" then you go and buy fish from them, as well as your drums. I talked with a gentleman several weeks ago that had a similar view. He was complaining about The "indians getting to fish Columbia river springers, when he couldn't" ( because of ESA). Then he said that he was planning to go buy some roe from the Native Am. guys selling fish at the dam. Seems ironic to me.

#92837 - 07/26/00 12:11 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Drums huh? What a good idea! I know alot of Native Americans who dislike SEALS. I would love to buy some drums from them!!! I think I would name them HERSHEL!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92838 - 07/26/00 02:45 AM Re: Seals?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
D#ck, would you beat them like a drum?

#92839 - 07/26/00 07:19 PM Re: Seals?
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Re: Addict , I won't go in to details on what my opinion of a criminal is this topic was about SEALS ,YOU even said that we need to manage all our resources ,thats all I was saying
so lets not get in to a discussion on criminals it's a real long list!!! were just having a little fun here

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 07-26-2000).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1022 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |