Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92840 - 07/30/00 08:02 AM Re: Seals?
MNCharlie Offline
Egg

Loc: Anoka, MN
I figured I would chime in with a somewhat amusing story. I've been "lurking" here since last winter when I travelled to WA to visit a friend and fish steelhead.

The January before last we were taking a fmaily vacation in San Diego and my daughter REALLY wanted to go whale watching. All of the charters were booked for the SD area schools so instead I booked a charter to go fishing. She REALLY loves to fish. Well, despite severe and persistent bouts of sea-sickness, she was all bubbly about everything. The dolphins, the birds and especially ... the Sea Lions. Now, the deckhands HATE sea lions. We were bottom fishing with a friend and his son plus two other couples. Fishing was great but packs of sea lions were circling the boat. Now, my daughter thought this was GREAT! When the deckhands weren't looking, she would even toss bait down to them! It made for quite an adventure catching the fish. Reel like heck to get the fish in before a sea lion could nab it! We probably lost half of our fish but nobody really cared. All were thrilled to enjoy the experience through my daughter's 11 year-old eyes. We all felt like kids again -- after all, my daughter knew that the sea lions were just doing what they do -- and she enjoyed every minute of it! By the end, even the deck hands would hand her some bait to throw when the captain wasn't looking!

My daughter even marvelled at the birds -- especially when one of the ladies hooked - and landed! a cormorant!! (What a mess!!!)

Well, by the time we were finished, all of the deckhands and even the captain were under my daughter's charms. Before we left, they gave her a bucket of bait to feed the sea lions. During the morning, one deckhand had heard of her disappointment about missing out on the whale watching tour -- I saw him go up to the bridge to speak with the captain. He soon announced a slight detour on the way in (with a wink and a smile). They soon spotted a grey whale in the distance and brought us within a hundred yards! What a treat -- my daughter was especially thrilled at this special treatment, but didn't realize how "special" it was until she learned that that morning's whale-watching boats did not get that close to any whale!

So you see, it's all in your perspective. The seals were bothersome to all of us until we saw my daughter's delight. A fish or two? Heck, they weren't salmon or steelhead but we still were doing what we loved best - fishing. And who has the more proper "claim" on the fish. Us ... or the seals?

#92841 - 07/30/00 08:23 AM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
MNCharlie thanks for the great post looking at life through the eyes of a child is timeless and always refreshing. A lot more good is accomplished with that youthful enthusiasim than the old grump syndrome.

#92842 - 07/30/00 10:44 AM Re: Seals?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
Everyone forget about the Ballard Locks and what they did to the runs of fish!!! How about off the mouth off the Hamma Hamma! I could go on and on. There has to be some kind of CONTROL!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#92843 - 07/30/00 05:03 PM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I may have a solution. The Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest seem to have their way with the Fed.s via their very powerful Treaty trump card when it comes to fish & game. Even getting to take Fed. ESA fish in their nets! Much of the balance of nature has been removed from eco-system intrcacies forever so we need to concentrate on attempting control balancing in a proper way. One of them was the regular hunting of seals by early Native Americans, but now they only do this rarely. My idea is for the Fed.s, in conjunction with the states, to promote more Indian seal & sealion seasons periodically in exchange for an ethical and much needed reduction of fish netting. What they don't consume of the seals would find ready Asian markets that would bring revenue to the Tribes. There would be less fish eaten by seals and a little less fish netted by the Tribes. Fanatical groups like PETA and Green Peace would not be able to stop this partial return to nature's past (i.e.- Makah whaling). Seems like a win win scenario to me. Can anyone involved with the state or Tribes up there propose that solution to them? - Steve

#92844 - 08/09/00 08:43 PM Re: Seals?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
I Was told that "seal bombs" are legal in puget sound, grab them m-80s and chuck 'em at those *******s!
Endangered my *ass, there must be 25 seals at Jeff Head alone

edit, the above is b*astards!

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 08-09-2000).]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1058 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |