Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92780 - 07/15/00 07:03 PM Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you do if you see a seal? You can't shoot them, so how do you scare them off? shoot blanks at them? nobody will think I am shooting at them since nobody ever fishes where I do, or at least I never see anyone, but it is still illegal to shoot them. What do you do when you see a seal? while out fishing, I have seen them come up and eat a fish right in front of me, so I figure after that there probobly arn't to many more fish in the vicinity.

Thanks,
BEn

#92781 - 07/15/00 07:44 PM Re: Seals?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
If I see seals, I move alittle bit, they have probably spooked the salmon. If that doesn't work, use your killer whale call, and maybe you will spook them.

#92782 - 07/15/00 10:33 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Sling shot with rocks or if you can get them steel Ball berings or even marbles.
don't have to hit them just the sound hitting the water will send them off like they were hit.
dcrzfitter

#92783 - 07/15/00 10:34 PM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Sling shot with rocks or if you can get them steel Ball berings or even marbles.
don't have to hit them just the sound hitting the water will send them off like they were hit.
dcrzfitter

#92784 - 07/16/00 12:26 AM Re: Seals?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Slingshots, charge at them with the boat, or maybe pellet gun will work. BUT, any harassment is illegal. So just make sure no one is around. I just move on if possible. Last I heard, commercial fishermen can shoot them if they get in the nets and such.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#92785 - 07/16/00 11:19 AM Re: Seals?
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
DanO, where can I get a killer whale call and what does it sound like? LOL

#92786 - 07/16/00 12:42 PM Re: Seals?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Observed people throwing rocks at seals during a local chum run, because the seals had gotten pretty efficient at making off with the fish on the end of your line...fish would beach themselves rather than get picked off by the seals (of course, they were then picked off...er...up...by less ethical Slavic drones)...when the few winter-runs showed and I hooked a fish, I noted the seal head bobbing in the water and, while running after the fish, pretended to pick up a rock and pretended to throw it...the seal backed off. I wouldn't recommend this method, however, as it made me feel quite goofy (a sentiment confirmed by the loss of the fish right at my feet). Worth to try in an emergency, though...

#92787 - 07/16/00 01:53 PM Re: Seals?
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
they are a big problem. I agree with the sling shot.

#92788 - 07/16/00 02:05 PM Re: Seals?
Fishin Farmgirl Offline
Smolt

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Wrist Rocket with rocks or ball bearings...but I just keep on my toes if the fish are biting and get 'em in QUICK!!!!!

L

------------------
"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds!" Albert Einstein

#92789 - 07/16/00 07:18 PM Re: Seals?
Gonefishin Offline
Fry

pepper spray works for me. the seals never return after an encounter with that.

#92790 - 07/16/00 08:27 PM Re: Seals?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
You Guys must be insane I saw those guys on the discovery channel Weapons and Warfare unlike Sasquatch the Seals are real and dont like people shooting at them with sling shots and BB guns.
Seriously there isn't a heck of alot you can do other than hollering and throwing things which will make a lot of noise and any thing you throw becomes litter so why not just go about your bussiness and see what happens. The way we are polluting the sound you probably wont be seeing harbor seals and sea lions as often down the road ,so enjoy it while you can it is just part of the marine enviroment that we are enjoying when we go out there.

#92791 - 07/16/00 09:51 PM Re: Seals?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
Doubletake:, I got mine at Kieko's old aquarium in Newport,Or. Imagine the sound a politician would make , if you told him, No More Lobbyist Dollars!,Vote for what the people in your district want- that's what it sounds like...

#92792 - 07/17/00 01:00 AM Re: Seals?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

I still say the sling shot is the way to go. Like I said you don't have to hit them and it's cheap. and it don't polute!! rocks are natural. the sound of a object hitting the water that fast any where near them sends them away. Might be that it sounds like a bullet or something?

dcrzfitter

#92793 - 07/17/00 01:31 AM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmm, my intolorance for anything eating my fish that took so long to catch wisdom brings this septical idea,...a simple .22 or CO 2 powered (or cheasy cross-bow) with some very heavy duty 100- 150 # dacron or spiderline attached to arrow , then attached to a dual cinderblock or heavy object. Arrow sticks to seal , cinderblock(s) take seal down , and no evidence of a floating seal.

* NO seals were harmed in the making of this idea , niether shall there be due to the fact why take time to get rid of one seal when there is a 10 to back them up* ; )

------------------
To Hell with the Antis!

C.D

#92794 - 07/17/00 02:16 AM Re: Seals?
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
Snowchuck a threehundred pound seal could break that line without a problem and Gonefishin how can you get close enough to a seal to spray it with pepper spray? Sometimes you guys just don't make any sense to me. No offense but you would have to be stupid to try to shoot a seal with a riffle. What if the bullet bounced of the water and killed someone. How can you guys even blame the low salmon population on seals. Look at the camercial fisherman and (some) of the indian tribes. Don't blame some poor animal for our own doing.

#92795 - 07/17/00 07:26 AM Re: Seals?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan O & Double Take, I tried the killer whale call and it scared the salmon away faster than the seals that took off following them! It did bring in a nice pod of killers though.

[This message has been edited by Reel Truth (edited 07-17-2000).]

#92796 - 07/17/00 07:35 AM Re: Seals?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Put a giant picture of "Flipper" on the side of your boat, and they'll stay away forever. I have also heard that a comment such as" You sure would make some good blubber for supper" will send them high tailing. Do they eat drones? If so, I'll take a half dozen seals, and 4 sea lions. Drop them off at Summer fest in Milwaukee, and they'll be in the Root feasting in a matter of seconds. I hate to sound like a Green Peace "Save the Gay Whale" activist, but I have to believe that they would be pretty cool to see. I say leave em the h*ll alone.

#92797 - 07/17/00 10:19 AM Re: Seals?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I've got some black and white paint. If you supply the beer we could all come over and paint your boat in a killer whale theme. That along with the call should do the trick. And you could pepper spray them I've had seals come up a couple of feet from the boat.

Kevin

#92798 - 07/17/00 11:43 AM Re: Seals?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
rocks, marbles, sling shots, and pepperspray? I am embarrased to consider myslelf in the same species as you idiots!
The whole idea behind fishing is to get out there and enjoy nature, the river, ocean, and the fish; not to be selfish and greedy. So what if the seals are there. I guess that's part of the game.
Its interesting how when an animal outsmarts a human we automatically decide that they need to be eradicated or better yet harrased.
You guys must be decendants from the parks officials whom eradicated the wolves from Yosemite. They too were a pest at the time!
I to am discouraged by the "competition from seals, but they have just as much right to be their as we do. I think you guys that are harrasing these animals need to take a step back and think about how childish you are being.

#92799 - 07/17/00 02:40 PM Re: Seals?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
It's NAUGHTY to call people idiots. If you want wolves, we have an abundance of them in Northern Minnesota. I'll have my buddy send you one (a live wolf) to release in Yosemite. He would be more than happy to do so, since he had his black lab shredded on it's yard lead about a month ago by wolves. Let's not get back to the way it used to be argument, or we'll have to quit bitc*ing at each other when they take our computers away.

I do agree however that the seals have just as much right to be there as we do. Just like the wolves. The only issue is that we have replaced a lot of these critters natural predators, and there are cases where they need to be controlled (either relocation or the other alternative). Kind of sad, when we get out foxed by something with a brain an eighth the size of ours. Perhaps their is validity in the point that we don't use our entire brain.

Must be an adult version of pulling the wings off of flies, burning ants with a magnifying glass, skinning lizards, sticking fireworks in the rear end of carp, smashing minnows with hammers, and kicking cats. Whooda thunk it, will we ever grow up?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |