THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#930541 - 05/21/15 11:33 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Went to Florida in april. Was on Scopolamine patches AND Zofran. They didn't help... anything 4+ft seas and I was toast. Luckily I can just close my eyes and I feel fine.

Next time I'm adding Promethazine to the mix. Maybe that will stop me from throwing up... If I can find the boat.

#930545 - 05/22/15 07:20 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I find that the patches generally work for me, at least on fairly calm waters. Consequently, I don't do boats all that often. Has to be a real opportunity for a grand time.

#930557 - 05/22/15 08:55 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
My sea legs are getting stronger as I get older, but every couple of years I'll get bit with the sickness bug. Usually it's because I partied too hard the night before; didn't eat or get enough rest.

So this process works for me: Get to good night's rest. Eat something 1 hour before going out. Don't go under cabin until legs are firmly on for the day, especially on a Diesel. Keep eyes on the horizon at all times and bend your knees with the swell to keep it flat and level. Coffee, Gator-Aide & Beer in that order.

Seasickness sucks but its nothing compared to altitude sickness. I have had both many times and if forced to pick, I'll take seasickness every time.

#930633 - 05/23/15 07:50 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Happy Birthday Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
I used to get sick every now and then when I was young. As I got older, I did the Dramamine thing, and had good success. Then about 8 years ago, I went out with a friend on his commercial troller for salmon. Fog so thick you couldn't see 50', and that 42' wooden double ender was burping diesel exhaust and was bobbing like a cork on the big swells. About mid way into the day, I just layed down on the deck and chummed out one of the scupper slots. A few hours later I couldn't stand, and my buddy headed in. I layed on the dock for a good hour, but when I got in my truck, it was obvious there was no way I could make the hour drive home. Went to a flea bag joint in Newport and continued to puke all night. Drove home the next day, but was still too sick to eat until day three. The most horrible experience I have ever been through.

*But* since this experience I have never again been sick, nor had to take any form of medication. I somehow purged the curse of seasickness from my body that day.

#930637 - 05/23/15 10:26 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Been afflicted 3 times.... all three times while on charter boats for albacore.

Each time, one good purge and I was pretty much good to go again within the hour.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#930639 - 05/24/15 07:27 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I've gotten sick about a 1/4 of the time I've gone out over the years. One or two good heaves and I'm usually good to go thereafter. No meds for me.

What gets me is exhaust filling the air with engines at idle, diesel being the worst. for this reason I no longer go one charter boats.

I did a brief stint as a deckhand at Westport out of HS. One day, we had a doctor on board who lost all control going over the bar. He puked so violently and bellowed and moaned so loud he was genuinely convinced he was going to die of dehydration(it was his first time on the ocean). It got so bad that he offered to buy the skipper's boat right then and there if he'd take him in!

The skipper just laughed.

#930730 - 05/26/15 01:56 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: Dan S.]
BGR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Marysville, WA
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
It was funny. The night before we left, his mom said "you'd better take some Dramamine if you're going out on the ocean".

He scoffed and said "OK, mommy." And went about his business.

When he was puking over the rail, I said "Your mom is going to love this." rofl

+1 on Dramamine the night before for chummers

#930734 - 05/26/15 02:25 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I miss my old water bed.

#931550 - 06/07/15 09:43 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Glad we got our chance to partake early...

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

June 5, 2015

South coast of Washington closed to crab fishing

OLYMPIA – Effective immediately, the recreational and commercial Dungeness crab fisheries on the southern coast of Washington will close until further notice because of elevated marine toxin levels, state shellfish managers announced today.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) closed crab fishing today (June 5) in coastal waters stretching from the Washington/Oregon border north to Point Chehalis. This area includes Marine Area 1 (Columbia River) and the portion of Marine Area 2 (Westport) south of Point Chehalis, as well as the crabbing area inside the Columbia River and inside Willapa Bay.

The area north of Point Chehalis, including Grays Harbor, remains open to commercial and recreational crab fishing.

WDFW announced the closure after routine testing showed domoic acid levels in crab exceeded standards established by the Washington State Department of Health (DOH). Domoic acid, a natural toxin produced by certain types of marine algae, can be harmful or even fatal if consumed in sufficient quantities. Cooking or freezing does not destroy domoic acid in shellfish.

Levels of domoic acid have been increasing in coastal waters for several weeks, said Dan Ayres, WDFW coastal shellfish manager. In May, the department closed all Washington coastal beaches to razor clam digging due to high levels of the toxin.

“We’ve been closely watching toxin levels in shellfish since closing beaches for razor clamming,” Ayres said. “Domoic acid shows up more quickly in razor clams than in crabs.”

All crab gear must be removed from the closed areas by 12:01 a.m. June 10 or it will be subject to confiscation by Fish and Wildlife enforcement officers. WDFW is requiring that any crab captured in either commercial or recreational gear in the area now closed to fishing must be returned to the water.

This is the first time since 2003 that a crab fishery has been closed in Washington due to domoic acid, Ayres said. The toxin was first detected on the Washington coast in 1991.

Regular testing of shellfish species found in Willapa Bay – including oysters, hard-shell clams and mussels – shows those shellfish remain safe to eat. The exceptions are razor clams and Dungeness crabs. The harvest of mussels elsewhere on the coast is closed annually from April 1 to Oct. 31.

DOH will continue to test shellfish in all coastal marine waters. Harvesters should check for closures on DOH’s shellfish safety webpage at https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/eh/maps/.../biotoxin.html.

More information about domoic acid can be found on WDFW's webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish...moic_acid.html.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#931592 - 06/08/15 03:50 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Firenmetal55 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Whidbey Island, Wa
Good haul! I'm sure that dinner table spread was nice!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |