Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#930366 - 05/20/15 11:14 AM Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

News breaking JUST NOW that area 4 won't have a halibut day tomorrow, after all. SO MANY people are en route, and are going to be pretty pissed to find this out when they get there.

No news release as of yet so it's not official, but multiple sources confirming.

my comment on it is...

OH

MY

GOD

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so typical of the ever-increasing incompetence of the agency. They will say "we don't WANT to do this and find no joy taking opportunity away from anglers, especially at the last minute" which is absolutely true. But it doesn't mean they aren't incompetent.

Radio Shack didn't WANT to go bankrupt. Hoover didn't WANT to country to slide into a depression. Wanting the right thing to happen doesn't necessarily equal good management.

Unsworth is off to such a bad start.

#930370 - 05/20/15 12:43 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Been following this all morning...just waiting for the announcement to make it "official".

Good think I like fishing for lings and rockfish, as we will be out there for a few days. At least we still have Saturday frown

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#930377 - 05/20/15 02:32 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I was out that way last Thursday thru sunday.............I couldn't make it this Thursday........But if I was I'd be pissed. Lol. I'll be out there Friday afternoon thru sunday...............Should be fun times and another great grocery haul. Good luck,

SZ

PS, Where ya gonna be staying Todd?.

#930390 - 05/20/15 04:25 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

May 20, 2015

Halibut fishing off Neah Bay, La Push
to close May 21, will re-open May 23

OLYMPIA - Halibut fishing will be closed tomorrow (May 21) off the state's north coast but will re-open for a final day of fishing on May 23, Washington fishery managers announced today.

Anglers are expected to reach the 108,030-pound halibut quota in marine areas 3 (La Push) and 4 (Neah Bay) after one more day of fishing, said Heather Reed, coastal policy coordinator for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

Those marine areas had been scheduled to be open for halibut fishing Thursday, when the weather is forecast to be marginal. Department staff consulted with sport fishing representatives and agreed to hold the final day of halibut fishing on Saturday, when weather is expected to improve, Reed said.

"We apologize for the short notice," Reed said. "We typically like to give more warning of a closure. But we want to give anglers a good chance to catch a halibut and we believe the better opportunity to do so will be on Saturday."

In all marine areas open to halibut fishing, there is a one-fish daily catch limit and no minimum size restriction. Anglers may possess a maximum of two fish in any form and must record their catch on a WDFW catch record card.

More information about Washington's halibut fisheries can be found on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/halibut/ .

#930392 - 05/20/15 04:47 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Bernie, camping at the Cape. You?

The sites are first come, first serve, so I am getting there Friday morning...my buddy and the boat will show up Friday night.

Fish on...

Todd

#930397 - 05/20/15 05:37 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

So MA5 is still open, though, right?

It was scheduled to be open May 21-24.

Fish on...

Todd

#930398 - 05/20/15 05:42 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Cough. Remember that fillet! Cough.

#930399 - 05/20/15 05:46 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Cough. Remember that fillet! Cough.

My potential take got cut down considerably today wink I still plan on being knee deep in spiny white fishes!

Fish on...

Todd

#930402 - 05/20/15 05:56 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
NickD90 Offline

Those work too! thumbs

On the bright side, a good portion of all that reeling got cut down too. Good luck out there this weekend,

#930476 - 05/21/15 01:30 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Todd I'll be rolling into town bout 2-3ish Friday. Staying @ Butlers. Area 5 produed 3 chickens for my crew mates this morning..............FYI.....Good luck,

SZ

#930483 - 05/21/15 02:17 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Come by and say hey, Bernie!

Fish on...

Todd

#930673 - 05/24/15 11:22 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Fun times with healthy limits to go around. Nice running into to ya Todd on the fillet dock. Good luck,

SZ

#930678 - 05/25/15 09:25 AM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Nice seeing you, too, and a few others from here... my hands look like they went thru a meat grinder, and my shoulders and forearems are reminding me that I reeled up a lot of halibut from 500 feet deep!

Fish on...

Todd

#930749 - 05/26/15 11:24 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
No NorCoast Hali Thursday with our reserved coveted moorage/lodging in Neah Bay, and no problem. Despite the grumbling of neighboring slip occupants at first light. We left port and hang an east instead of a west, and turn the usual limit of two lingcod into jumbo pacific true cod instead. Oh, and a decent grade of halibut too similar to the ocean. Life-lemons-lemonade, ie true cod! A quick port landing into MA5... then fish camp...

Sorry to have missed ya Toddler.

#930750 - 05/26/15 11:44 PM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#930751 - 05/27/15 05:15 AM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
It's good to see increasing numbers of true cod.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#930757 - 05/27/15 07:53 AM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Sorry we missed you, too, John...and the catches of big true cod have been very heartening!

Fish on...

Todd

#930766 - 05/27/15 09:15 AM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

A few shots from our trip out to Neah Bay...

With camping at the Cape being first come, first served, I ran out early on Friday morning by myself to get camp set up, and my buddy and the boat showed up in the evening. After a quick stop at Swain's and a cruise out to Neah Bay we managed one of the last few spots, and it was the same spot we get every time...so that was nice.

Moorage had been sold out for quite a while, but they were expecting some cancellations and some folks leaving early...and that, too, became first come, first served.

A short walk down to Big Salmon to check on moorage status every hour finally got us a spot...which besides being easier to deal with, kept us from having to get up at 2am to get in the launch line to get the boat in the water at a reasonable time on a halibut day!

With camping and moorage secured, I just chilled around camp waiting for Sean and his girlfriend Trina to roll into town...which they did around 7pm. We went straight to the launch, dumped the boat, and ran right out and got ourselves a quick limit of black rockfish smile

Since it was getting on towards dark by the time we got back to the marina there was no fish cleaning service frown ...so while Sean and Trina got their stuff settled in at camp I did a quick fillet job on our limits and rolled back to camp. By the time the fish were stowed and dinner was eaten it was midnight, and with a 4am wakeup coming we all hit the rack.

We rolled out of the marina at 4:45 the next morning, rounded Cape Flattery, and headed for parts south to see about getting some halibut.

The spots we knew about had been putting out a lot of fish over the past few weeks...but most if not all were in the 20 to 25 pound range. We had this great idea that we would just CnR until we found a few bigger ones, and then head in to get our lings and rockfish.

As Mike Tyson once said...everyone has a great game plan until they get hit in the mouth, and with no electric reels on board and reeling up halibut from 500 feet deep the "let's just wait for bigger ones" went right out the door!

I dropped my 2 pound pipe jig to the bottom 8 times, hooked up 6 times, reeled up four, handed off two, and reeled up twice without a fish on the other end.

After reeling and releasing a few 20-25s up I knew that waiting for a bigger one was not in the cards!

We ended up hooking nine halibut in about an hour, and bonked three, and got the hell out of there.

We headed back to the inside and found ourselves pretty quickly sitting on top of a big school of black rockfish...and it didn't take long to box up 30 sets of fish and chips with tails wink

Added bonus was that we found our lings in and amongst the rockies and got all but one of them while we were doing, and a quick stop at a "ling spot" put another one in the box...and we were done for the day.

Me and Sean with a few of the groceries:

And Sean and Trina...

Saturday's haul!

Long lines at the fish cleaning tables on Saturday afternoon, and I happily forked over $40 plus a $10 tip to get all that mess turned into bags of meat smile

A nice dinner, and a visit with Achewter and his buds at their camp, and it was bedtime again.

Slept in until 7am, ran right outside the marina, and got another quick limit of fish and chips...

Done too early to pay someone to clean our fish for us, so while Sean got the boat cleaned up I ripped out our last limits of fish, hauled them back to camp and vacuum sealed them up.

We packed up camp, and hit the road...back home on Sunday just in time for dinner smile

Fishing, scenery, camping...it's all so good at Neah Bay that I can't wait to get back out...there were a few salmon every day at the cleaning table already, too, so we'll be back out for that as soon as we are able!

Fish on...

Todd

#930770 - 05/27/15 09:50 AM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
NickD90 Offline

Most excellent and nicely done! thumbs

#930773 - 05/27/15 09:55 AM Re: Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21, open Saturday [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
About 10 years ago or so the true cod were plentiful out at Swiftsure. Then the commercial guys hammered them and it was slim pickings for a while.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |