THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#931215 - 06/02/15 01:31 PM Green River Summer Steel??
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
I live very close to the Green River and was wondering if anyone has some knowledge on the summer runs. I heard they stopped planting the upper reaches a few years ago and only plant at Soos Creek. I love the scenery in the upper reaches and am wondering if its still worth fishing or if I'm wasting my time. Not looking for any secret spots or whatever, just little info on these fish and maybe when I should be targeting them. Thanks!

#931244 - 06/02/15 05:29 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
I hated this answer when I was a newb but now I understand the reason for giving it.

Get out and explore the river. There are quite a few publicly accessible points of entry to good stretches of river. Talk to the folks at the hatchery, they can be a good source of information. Nothing will substitute for gaining information on your own and it is much more satisfying.

And yes, I've heard there are fish around.

#931268 - 06/02/15 08:30 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I'm always down to explore but if fish aren't there then its pointless. But the last of what you said is all I need. Thanks!

#931383 - 06/04/15 11:16 AM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Denham
I'm always down to explore but if fish aren't there then its pointless. But the last of what you said is all I need. Thanks!

Really? Pointless? So what's the point in going FISHING? If all you want to do is catch fish, then hit up one of the local kids only trout ponds or if you really want a sure thing, go to the grocery store.

And if you want to learn about the good grocery stores around the Green River, use Google.

Edited by TanTastic84 (06/04/15 11:17 AM)

#931384 - 06/04/15 12:10 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Lot's of people have gotten use to be handed things....Now with the internet and social media sites...its very common for people to want to know "where to go, what to use, when to be there", and many seem to get pissed, if the response they get is like the following:

Pre-computer times, people counted on newspapers, published weekly sports papers, local sports stores or like myself....went for a drive to check out the local rivers.

I still feel this is the best way....jump in your car/truck/SUV....go for a drive, heck with Google map you can "zoom right in to many area" or at least see how close the road is to the rivers.

I enjoy helping people, that seem to need help, if they are fishing close to me: how to rig up, why I do what I do BUT if you think I want to tell you what river I fish, what area of the river I fish, what color jig I use, what time of the day I catch fish.......think again!!!!!

Sure I know, at $4.00 a gallon for gas and just the time needed to drive and walk up and down a river might not be your idea of fun....but that might be what it takes.

Good luck....

Oh I do know there is more than 1 Green River in this State, just saying !!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#931385 - 06/04/15 12:19 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: DrifterWA]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
I want to tell you what river I fish, what area of the river I fish, what color jig I use,

Thanks DW! Looking forward to your daily Nooch' reports!

#931386 - 06/04/15 12:43 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound

You've got that wrong, friend. You learn the most when you aren't sure if fish are around.

Here is a golden nugget, if you heed it, you will learn, I promise you that: Nothing beats time on the water, whether or not you hook up.

Its that simple, you can continue to look for handouts about where, when, how to fish but until you just get out and do it you won't find true success.

It is that simple.

#931387 - 06/04/15 12:51 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: TanTastic84]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: TanTastic84

Really? Pointless? So what's the point in going FISHING? If all you want to do is catch fish, then hit up one of the local kids only trout ponds or if you really want a sure thing, go to the grocery store.

And if you want to learn about the good grocery stores around the Green River, use Google.

You go fishing with the hopes of catching fish right? Are you telling me you'd ever fish a river without fish in it?? lol

#931391 - 06/04/15 01:05 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: TedR]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: TedR

You've got that wrong, friend. You learn the most when you aren't sure if fish are around.

Here is a golden nugget, if you heed it, you will learn, I promise you that: Nothing beats time on the water, whether or not you hook up.

Its that simple, you can continue to look for handouts about where, when, how to fish but until you just get out and do it you won't find true success.

It is that simple.

Sorry if what I asked for was too much, I tried to keep it as dull as possible knowing the reactions I might get if I sounded like a greenhorn. You answered my question with as much information as I could have asked and I appreciate that. I know the fishing is tough on the Green. Was mostly curious as to how the negated hatchery plants up at Palmer might affect the fish. Anyways, tight lines

#931422 - 06/04/15 05:24 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
I don't know much about the Green but had to respond to the time wasted while fishing.

I tried for years to catch steelhead in all the wrong places. Usually to beat the crowds, I fished places that had few steelhead. What it taught me is how to read water really well. I take a lot of pride in that. I feel like I know where steelhead really like to hang and can see it quickly. Hundreds of yards dissected into one little area that is likely best on lots of different types of water from big to small, rocky to sandy with wood.

The interesting thing is that now I spend less time actually fishing on a new river and much more time hiking around trying to find the very best water. Once there, I usally hook some nice fish if conditions are favorable. I kind of prefer it this way. I challenge myself to make fewer casts and use my experience avoiding hope at all costs. Hope is often blind, especially with fishing so always pay attention, compare, inquire, ask, alter, adapt, make mistakes, and get skunked et cetera.

Anybody can go to a destination fishery and hook a bunch of steelhead with just a little guidance. It's a lot harder to actually know your quarry and its habits and have pay off on a regular basis. That is what takes year and years to acquire.

I am a well known hater of the Internet for feeding the me-now generation too much and making them spoiled. It used to take a lot of work to acquire knowledge and it should be that way with some topics because it is the path that counts not the destination.

You will get there someday grass hopper, or not. wink

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#931423 - 06/04/15 05:49 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I live very close to the Green River and was wondering if anyone has some knowledge on the summer runs. I heard they stopped planting the upper reaches a few years ago and only plant at Soos Creek. I love the scenery in the upper reaches and am wondering if its still worth fishing or if I'm wasting my time. Not looking for any secret spots or whatever, just little info on these fish and maybe when I should be targeting them. Thanks!

The Green River used to be the number one steelhead river or close back in the 70s. I got a chance to fish it once about 15 years ago and caught a couple smolt. Nice river but I'd fish a river that has a run of hatchery summeruns. Check out the dfw site to learn more where to go. If you are in to catch and release then go explore. My preference would be to fish a river where you have a good chance.

#931431 - 06/04/15 07:34 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Firenmetal55 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Whidbey Island, Wa

You will never know if you don't have your line in the water though!

#931501 - 06/05/15 11:45 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: TanTastic84]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

One of the dumbest posts ive ever read.....why the hell would you go fish a river void of steelhead IF your intended target IS steelhead. [Bleeeeep!]!

#931517 - 06/06/15 12:53 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
erikj Offline
Spawner

#931530 - 06/07/15 09:15 AM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: erikj]
RobertF
Unregistered

The guy asked a simple question you bunch of jabronis. And gets crucified for it. In reading his post his question seemed reasonable enough. Some of you old codgers get pretty uptight over [Bleeeeep!]. If I knew anything about said river I would pm you ,but I don't. Dont pay any mind to some of these sandy individuals.

#931534 - 06/07/15 09:55 AM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: bankbum]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Originally Posted By: bankbum

One of the dumbest posts ive ever read.....why the hell would you go fish a river void of steelhead IF your intended target IS steelhead. [Bleeeeep!]!

Holy Moly someone wants some more easy hand outs so he continue to make "how to" videos on techniques that he's just freshly discovered.... no interweb freebies here Denham! Put in your time like the rest of us and with a couple years under your belt, quit giving away your freshly discovered techniques on YouTube....

#931536 - 06/07/15 10:45 AM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The question I asked was hardly a "freeby"... Whats the point of being on a fishing forum if you don't want to talk about fishing, and instead scold people who do.

#931537 - 06/07/15 11:03 AM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Put in the time, it's not hard to call or research wdfw's historical smolt plants and returns on a system. Go out and explore it like a normal go getter would... fishing for handouts on a major fishing forum won't get you anywhere. With a run that's been steadily declining an its fish are hard to come by I certainly wouldn't give out a lick a info to someone with no post here or that is known for being a youtube, gopro, how-to whore with a couple years of experience under his belt....

Go out a put in some time on it, then you find if it's worth it....

#931538 - 06/07/15 11:13 AM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

this is probably the absolute WORST forum to ask a question like that... not because the people here dont know how to fish, but because the people here are real fisherman, that busted their asses to attain the knowledge that they have, without asking where to fish....

the Green is a gorgeous river, not alot of fish around anymore tho... but if your good enough, you may get lucky....

regardless, being on that river for the day is much better than sitting on here asking where to go, what to use, ect...

go give it a shot, you may be surprised... if you want a tad of a head start, go get a copper a gold, and a silver spinner (just buy Todds), and go drag them through a few miles of river.... have fun

#931539 - 06/07/15 01:42 PM Re: Green River Summer Steel?? [Re: Denham]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Holy [Bleeeeep!]... Throw the guy a fuckin bone at least. [Bleeeeep!]...

Your hunch would be correct. They stopped planting the upper river and now only plant Soos Creek. That doesn't mean you won't find a fish up high, probably just not as many. They are summer runs so theoretically fishing between now and September gives you a decent chance. Don't fish one spot too long and cover lots of water... And there is a lot of it up there. Bring polarized glasses...

Good luck!

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |