Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#931058 - 05/30/15 10:37 PM Posible clarification on future halibut seasons
Fishyfeller Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
The rumor mill has been running full steam lately about next years halibut regs. I was wondering if someone has some insight as to what the changes will be if any.
The rumors I have been hearing is they are going to have slot sizes for retaining halibut. Reduce amount of halibut any one person can retain in a year. Extend the season to be able to retain the limited halibut.
Does anyone know what has been said or considered by the powers that be that decide the regs?

#931074 - 05/31/15 09:27 AM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Lots of talking going on. There is interest in getting away from the derby mentality that WDFW has pushed the sport fleet to. 10 years ago, we had 80 day seasons in Puget Sound. Now, we are fishing 11 days and according to WDFW are catching as many pounds of fish in 11 days as we were catching in 80 days. The are real issues with crowding at the ramps and safety issues when we are forced to fish specific days without regard to sea and weather conditions. Two fishers were lost last year off Whidbey Island. The ocean fishery has similar issues with safety and crowding and their fish are being caught in 4 days.

There was a meeting in Port Townsend a couple of weeks ago. Initial proposal was for a 6 fish annual limit and a season running from whenever IPHC opens the season (usually in March) to June 30. There will be more meetings with the state to explore options for 2016 or 2017. In addition to the halibut issues, there are some concerns over the impact of the rec halibut fleet on listed rockfish both in the ocean and in Puget Sound. Any change to the season structure is going to be a long process.

The challenge for all of us is staying within the IPHC quotas that are assigned the area 2A (N. California, OR, and WA). In round numbers, there is about 990,000 lbs for 2A. California gets the smallest share, OR gets a larger amount, and WA gets the lions share. WA share is divided between non-tribal commercial, tribal, and recreational. The recreational quota is divided between the ocean shares and Puget Sound.

The 2A states have a catch share plan. The state(s) have a lot of latitude in what is recommended for passage of the federal regulations by the PFMC as long as the states stay within the IPHC quotas. PFMC makes the final rules.

#931084 - 05/31/15 11:37 AM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

There was slot limits for some halibut charters in certain areas, but none for sport anglers as far as I know --yet.

Websites with information:

IPHC website
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/home.html

PFMC website
http://www.pcouncil.org/

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#931113 - 05/31/15 10:39 PM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Thanks for posting the links, LL. Folks need to wade through them to get some background on the management scheme at the federal level. The states can be more restrictive than the federal regulations. The IPHC quota is what drives the process. While they deal in pounds, there might be room to go to numbers of fish as long as the poundage is not exceeded.

#931138 - 06/01/15 01:53 PM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
It would be nice to fish butt's in June again with some nicer weather....Good luck,

SZ

#931157 - 06/01/15 09:33 PM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
It would be nice to fish butt's in June again with some nicer weather....Good luck,

SZ

Yeah maybe that would get you off the salmon so the little guys could catch a few!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#931213 - 06/02/15 01:22 PM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
LMFAO. Good one Doc. Good luck,

SZ

#931519 - 06/06/15 01:12 PM Re: Posible clarification on future halibut seasons [Re: Fishyfeller]
topwater Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
Not sure how a 6 fish limit changes anything when we are talking about 4-11 day fisheries.

The charter boats predicted this outcome over 10 years ago when the major changes to Area 3-4 halibut were proposed and accepted by WDFW. I'm sure there would have been shortened seasons regardless based on the increased numbers of people with ocean-capable boats, improved electronics, and internet hotspotting but the season should have never been moved from May 1 and the closure between Neah Bay and La Push should never have been opened up.

The true fixes would hurt a bit. An annual limit of 2 plus bans on electric reels for the non-disabled would make a dent. Close areas known to have larger halibut and try to refocus the fleet on chicken sized fish. You have to reduce the fleet's effectiveness as well as the average size of the fish to have any real impact on season length. Those would be pretty unpopular rules though.

I took full advantage of the changed rules I opposed and the average weight on my boat went from 20-30 to 50-70 overnight. An entire fleet doing that cuts the season in half overnight. Sometimes WDFW has to make hard choices and protect us from own greed. They failed on the coast when they refused to listen to the people most familiar with the fishery.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |