THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#946696 - 01/12/16 08:42 AM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
And the day oil rebounds, the vultures will start circling again. Same as it ever was....

#947370 - 01/15/16 02:02 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: Us and Them]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
U&T Labs are great dogs. I take an 80+ angler fishing. His dog knows when it is time to take a break.

#947389 - 01/15/16 04:09 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: NickD90]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: NickD90
And the day oil rebounds, the vultures will start circling again. Same as it ever was....

This. I have it on good authority that the company saying they are not currently pursuing crude oil storage was very careful in the announcement not to declare themselves officially out.

My guess is it will go like this: Export of crude is already underway in Texas, and that market is going to explode (no pun intended) very soon. Once that happens, supply will quickly dwindle, and the price will reach all-time highs. Warren Buffett will pull a couple billion out of his couch cushions to "convince" our legislature that exporting oil is "right for Washington." The tax revenue prospects will be too great for Inslee to resist, and he'll sign our natural resources, public safety, and quality of life away to the railroads (with bi-partisan support, of course).

Until we see at least ONE example of a government blocking a big money development project because the people were opposed or because it would be detrimental to the environment, we can assume EIS's, etc. amount to little more than very expensive formalities.

#947481 - 01/16/16 07:25 AM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Well, there was Boeing's SST, some nuclear power plants at least in CA, Mineral King Ski resort, and probably a number of others. It can happen.

As to the shipping of fossil fuels through WA just where will (mostly) Asia get the energy needed to run there economies in the here and now? Are you willing to destroy the second largest economy (China) plus all the other players there? Shipping out of WA may be a very bad choice; which choice will you support?

Certainly, for the long-term they, and we, need to develop fuels other than fossil-based but until that day.............

#947523 - 01/16/16 02:59 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
I have not been on here for sometime but you guys really need to stop and think for a minute.......everytime an industry wants to utilize grays harbor for some kind of industry it does not matter what it is everyone jumps on the band wagon to stop it !
None of you look at the big picture, Grays harbor has the highest unemployment in the state ! it has the highest amount of drug and alchol issues and junkies and tweekers ! It has one of the highest crime rates .....is any of this computing with you anti's ????? this area is [Bleeeeep!] doomed because there is no industry, no re-investment, no hope because everyone always says no and wont compromise and or do anything to bring in money, commerce and jobs......in short this place is the detroit of washington state....

so you have said no to everything that has tried to build business here, what are you going to say yes too ?

Peace Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#947528 - 01/16/16 03:12 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Run it as my private hunting and fishing reserve. Nobody can live there except those who serve my needs as a weekend visitor.

#947530 - 01/16/16 03:16 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
Please, enlighten us with the list of corporations and ventures we as voters have turned away? I'm curious.

#947536 - 01/16/16 03:39 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
it seems like most of the businesses that come to town out there bring the promise of more jobs...however most of them bring their own people, anyway and it's not easy to get a job with them(they're looking for skilled workers and aren't particularly willing to train new help). take kiewit for example.

#947544 - 01/16/16 04:04 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

no bigger example then Kiewiet, what a bunch of liars and the state did nothing to back the people of the harbor........

360-888-7772

#947545 - 01/16/16 04:07 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

there has been many people that wanted to do business here because of the rail line and the seaport close to the ocean. I dont recall them all but I do recall the coal before the oil and I remember Nike back in like 93 or 94 when all the knuckleheads down here still thought that the spotted owl was going to go away.....

360-888-7772

#947546 - 01/16/16 04:10 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

there has been many people that wanted to do business here because of the rail line and the seaport close to the ocean. I dont recall them all but I do recall the coal before the oil and I remember Nike back in like 93 or 94 when all the knuckleheads down here still thought that the spotted owl was going to go away.....

360-888-7772

#947549 - 01/16/16 04:19 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: Chum Man]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
it seems like most of the businesses that come to town out there bring the promise of more jobs...however most of them bring their own people, anyway and it's not easy to get a job with them(they're looking for skilled workers and aren't particularly willing to train new help).

The recently completed 520 pontoon project comes to mind, especially when they were building the infrastructure before beginning the pontoons.

#947553 - 01/16/16 04:32 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
I was going to point out how companies come here, and hire zero to very few locals. I knew a few people who drove from Tacoma to work on the pontoons. So please, tell me, how many times have the voting public said no? To oil and coal. Both wins. If Nike wanted to come here, then more power to them. I doubt voters turned that down.

Edited by jgreen (01/16/16 04:34 PM)

#947557 - 01/16/16 04:55 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I remember "nuke plant".....see them every time I leave my peaceful, quiet fairly clean environment to venture to the "rat race" of the I-5 cities.

The nuke plant never went, thank heavens, can't even think about the negative effects that any problems could have caused in Grays Harbor and in the Chehalis River.

Don't ever talk to me about jobs in this area. I moved here in 1968----jobs everywhere, mills were running 24/7, downtown Aberdeen was booming. Had 2 railroad lines, we were so busy. Had just about any car dealership you could want.

Timber-----Cut, cut, cut, ship all the good wood out of here. With every ship load, the future of this area was "sealed".

Do I have an answer....no, but coal and oil isn't a solution that most residents want.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#947559 - 01/16/16 05:03 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Do I have an answer....no, but coal and oil isn't a solution that most residents want.

+1

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#947620 - 01/16/16 11:05 PM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: superfly]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: superfly
"I have not been on here for sometime but you guys really need to stop and think for a minute.......everytime an industry wants to utilize grays harbor for some kind of industry it does not matter what it is everyone jumps on the band wagon to stop it !
None of you look at the big picture, Grays harbor has the highest unemployment in the state ! it has the highest amount of drug and alchol issues and junkies and tweekers ! It has one of the highest crime rates .....is any of this computing with you anti's ????? this area is [Bleeeeep!] doomed because there is no industry, no re-investment, no hope because everyone always says no and wont compromise and or do anything to bring in money, commerce and jobs......in short this place is the detroit of washington state....

so you have said no to everything that has tried to build business here, what are you going to say yes too ?"

Peace Fly

Oil and coal trains do NOTHING positive for either the people or the environment we all count on for tourism which is the real money driver for our county these days, look at what happened to the tourism in the Gulf after the blowout there. I can't believe your point of view considering what would happen to the few remaining fish in our rivers in the event of an oil train derailment. It's not like the tracks run along the main river or anything.
Oh, that's right. Trains don't go off the tracks around here, just other places.
Bob R

#947624 - 01/17/16 01:50 AM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

tourism dollars , are you kidding me ? we should have tons but only have a small portion of what it should be..............All I was saying is that everyone who wants to come here is run out......So any other bright ideas while crime continues to rise right along with unemployment ................

360-888-7772

#947625 - 01/17/16 01:52 AM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: eyeFISH]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

The politicians did not want to give Nike the tax breaks to bring 2000 jobs to the harbor..........they would not budge so Nike went to Long Beach...........

360-888-7772

#947629 - 01/17/16 07:01 AM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: superfly]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

tourism dollars , are you kidding me ? we should have tons but only have a small portion of what it should be..............All I was saying is that everyone who wants to come here is run out......So any other bright ideas while crime continues to rise right along with unemployment ................

Well., with the lack of fish in Grey's Harbor these days and the "locals" getting all bent out of shape over "206,ers" coming here to fish, closures of clam beaches this year, closing of Lake Quinault for a year and a half, I'm not surprised that our tourism has fallen off. Projects like crude oil storage, transport, and coal traveling through our region on tracks run by greedy corporate entities that refuse to upgrade cars and respond to community concerns over safety and damage to our environment do NOTHING for our county. I welcome ALL businesses that wish to locate here so long as they leave no damage behind. Bob R

#947630 - 01/17/16 07:49 AM Re: The end of Grays Harbor fisheries as we know them? [Re: superfly]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
The politicians did not want to give Nike the tax breaks to bring 2000 jobs to the harbor..........they would not budge so Nike went to Long Beach...........

Seems I remember another company, you know the one, in Junction City that held Aberdeen hostage. The threat was, if make Junction City part of Aberdeen, I won't expand MORE into Junction City. If my memory is correct, a new 2 x 4, 2 x 6 mill was going to be built.

Anyone heard anything about a new mill being built????? I think not.

Rape and run.....Just look at all the corporations that are long gone, in past 20 years.

Superfly.....enjoy all the guides from other areas, coming to all the local rivers, leave each day, very little $$$$$$$ spent locally. What you think is yours......is now many others!!!!!!!

Go Hawks !!!!!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (01/17/16 07:50 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |