Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93270 - 07/26/00 03:26 PM Baker River Sockeye
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Armed with Salmo g.'s secret weapon, spoon and bare hook, I trundled up to the Baker yesterday, arriving about 10 am. Of the ten or so plunkers and one drifter there when I arrived, I was told that no fish had been caught, but I noticed several splash in the five minutes it took me to ask around.

Third cast with the spoon/hook, and fish on. One minute later, fish off.

Fished for five more hours, didn't touch another fish, and I didn't see any others hooked or landed by anyone else.

Ouch.

Anyone else having any luck (good or bad) there lately?

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#93271 - 07/26/00 04:04 PM Re: Baker River Sockeye
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Todd,
So you were the one yesterday refering to a "web site" that carried the secret weapon. I was the one drift guy that B.S'ed with you across from those damn plunkers. (No offense Plunker). I tried everything, plunking, drifting bait, yarn, corkies, spin'n glows..Nothing doin!

- Cameron
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#93272 - 07/27/00 06:01 PM Re: Baker River Sockeye
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Todd,

Whew! Almost redemption. Wish you had gotten more hookups. Mind you, that's not my secret weapon. I first learned about the red and black hooks during the 1988 Lake WA sockeye fishery, when only a few thousand anglers knew about it - a real secret! Didn't understand it then and still don't. I wonder if the red hook looks and moves like the euphasids that sockeye feed on. But that hook works. Trailed off a Muddler Minnow, the sockeye will grab the hook and never the fly. Yet Dolly Varden and Jack chinook and steelhead will all grab the fly and never the red hook. One of life's sweet puzzles.

Over 9500 sockeyes have returned to Baker, projected to finish at between 10 to 11,000, almost twice the preseason estimate. Wish the Lk WA fish had done the same. I hope this little fishery continues to grow; they're great eating.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |