Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#922247 - 02/09/15 10:01 AM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If the confidence limit curves had been included, I'd venture that Ricker wouldn't look so robust. A splatter gram without a "goodness of fit" description is deceitful statistics.

I see Carcassman captured above a key strength and weakness of Ricker style spawner - recruit relationships. When productivity is low, a population can be driven to near extirpation if that is the management objective. And managing for MSY invariably pushes population abundance downward. That's its track record.

#922249 - 02/09/15 11:24 AM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Looks like a simple linear model with increasing numbers of recruits for a corresponding increase in escapement would fit those data as well or better then the ricker curve. One could just as reasonably interpret the data then as an indication that habitat has not been adequately seeded to establish a density dependent response as predicted by Ricker. Only way to find out for sure is to allow more escapement and see if it produces correspondingly more recruits. Instead they head the opposite direction with escapement goals, so we'll never get a chance to find out.

#922254 - 02/09/15 01:29 PM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Bingo. Early in the Boldt years the Tribes consistently pushed for "probing" to determine proper escapement. It made sense that one should try a variety of escapements, over time, to see what was best. But, they only wanted to probe down from what WDF had set.

As Milt says, we'll never get the chance to see what filling the streams with spawners will do. When we do have that occur, and it has with some pink and chum, we simply consider the results as outliers or not applicable to other species, or .......

#922356 - 02/10/15 08:56 AM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

. . . buncha' cynics!

I'm not surprised that Ricker or B-H derived escapement goals are low. Salmonid habitat productivity is so severely compromised. Pinks and chums are always just a good flood away from devastation. The harvest management problem that bothers me is the intent, the requirement really, to harvest every paper salmon that is forecast, knowing full well that the error bounds of the estimate are sometimes as large as the runsize. They could at least impose a buffer like they've began doing with Columbia River spring chinook. Of course that has as its objective the assurance of harvestable fish for treaty tribes upstream of Bonneville.

#922379 - 02/10/15 12:09 PM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The problem with the Ricker mantra is there is ALWAYS a seat at the table for harvest.

Regardless of how depleted a run has become, there is ALWAYS a mathematical MSY to support continued exploitation of the population.

The MSY mindset is a poor fit for recovering depressed/threatened populations. Managers are just free to adjust the goals downward to fit the new (albeit smaller) MSY.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#922404 - 02/10/15 02:49 PM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

As some in GH/WB have identified, the ONLY seats at the table-and this includes WDFW and the Tribes- are for harvesters. There is no seat for somebody who wants to see fish on the gravel, who wants to see the ecosystem reasonably fed. Nobody speaks for conservation, just how do I get mine.

#933175 - 06/28/15 01:04 AM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

And here's what the northern intercept folks have to say about it....

http://www.thecordovatimes.com/article/1526chinook-quota-alaska-trollers-angered-reduced

"For over 30 years trollers have paid the price of habitat destruction in the Pacific Northwest," Kelley said June 26. "The stocks we've worked hard to rebuild are now returning in record numbers, yet Alaska is being held to a pitifully low quota that failed to recognize that abundance. Trollers are losing faith that they will ever see a fair shake in this process."

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#933193 - 06/28/15 05:47 PM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I find it hard to shed any tears for the Alaska trollers, I think for 30 years they have been the beneficiary of hundreds of millions of dollars of Columbia River salmon mitigation funds. Those record number of returns they "worked so hard to rebuild" are hatchery fish. There has been little improvement in wild runs and there is no reason why Alaska trollers or any marine fishery should have a greater share of impact on ESA fish.

The data and graphs you posted are probably the best information one could expect for the funding available to gather the data. Spawner recruit data is a good example. Counting spawners is a well developed technique. Determining recruits is not so straight forward. For a given brood year catch plus escapement has to be monitored for the next 5 to 6 years. For each year the age class composition of the catch and escapement has to be determined so that the fish can be assigned to a particular brood year. A Ricker curve for a given year for chinook cannot be generated until years later, time to collect the data and then more time to do the analysis. The cost to do the work for most rivers other than the Columbia probably out weighs the value of the fishery unless those Alaska trollers are willing to pay their share.

The 5 and 6 year old chinook are disappearing everywhere. 5 year old chinook are gone in the Yukon River and are probably not long for many other Alaskan rivers. The only hope would be to limit chinook fisheries to terminal areas. Of course those of us in Seattle who fish area 10 know how well that works.

#933195 - 06/28/15 07:25 PM Re: NEW and IMPROVED? [Re: eyeFISH]
River Nutrients

In my experience, and in the literature, most escapement estimates are significant underestimates of the real number. Then, you need good age data, annually. The catch, especially for non-terminal areas, has to be divided amongst the stocks. This, too, varies annually but normally averages are used. And, as with escapement you need the ages. Annually.

Keep in mind, though, that MSY management has absolutely nothing to do with biology or ecology. It is simply and economic analysis that asks "What is the minimum amount I have to invest (spawners) to maximize my return (catch)?"

As WH1A said, we need to manage from the rivers out. For all stocks. If they all have harvestable fish, above the in-river needs, then outside fisheries might be possible.

Or, we can just fish the stocks into economic extinction and move on to some other resource to rape.

What was that bumper snicker? "Earth First. We'll Log the Other Planets Later"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 946 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |