Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93436 - 07/29/00 01:27 AM Cujo and friend
in2fish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Snohomish
Hi everyone- A few months back there was a lot of discussion about certain people carrying and even brandishing weapons during drifts on some of the more popular rivers. If I remember correctly one of the excuses for "packing heat" was to scare off bears....whatever. I do want to remind people of one very real hazard and get some of your ideas and thoughts. Last weekend I took the pontoon boat down the N.F. Stilly (Deer Creek to Cicero). About half way down I came upon a nice drift and decided to give it a shot. I backed the 'toon into shore at the top of the run and beached it. As I stepped away from the boat I heard a dog bark up the hill behind me...there was a house or two there so no big deal right? I waded out high-thigh deep when all hell broke loose! A very large Doberman and an equally large mixed breed came tearing down the hill straight into the water...and there was no question that they meant business. Fortunately, they were not willing to wade in over their shoulders. Unfortunately, they were between me and my escape (the pontoon) and all I had was a very expensive, 9ft graphite "doggy be good stick"...I was too deep to even reach down and grab a rock. After about 10 minutes of this standoff it also became clear that no one in the house(s) was going to come to my rescue anytime soon. Well, to make a long story not so, about 25 minutes later the beasts, apparently bored of watching this paralyzed moron stand in the river, slowly started walking back up the hill. When they were out of sight I made a dash for the boat, grabbed one of the oars, and made for the middle of the river where I jumped on and was on my way...the b@s%t*r#ds followed me down the bank for at least 100 yards-still losing their minds.

Lesson learned! As I look back on it though I can tell you that if I had been armed there would be at least one dog feeding the dollies down stream right now. However, now that I have calmed down a bit I am not convinced a gun is the right thing to have in the vest or on the boat for a lot of reasons.

Alternatives? I think a 34/34 Louisville Slugger (although effective) would get in the way of casting. Pepper spray seems like a possibility. Any ideas? Comments? Similar experiences?

#93437 - 07/29/00 10:22 AM Re: Cujo and friend
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Though it sounds like you handled it the best way, it seems to me like it would have been a pretty cut-and-dried case of self-defense. I think I may even know the place you're talking about. Though I've never had to face off with the dogs, I have seen that dobie galloping down the bank, doing his nut, while I floated by. Odd, isn't it, that the most threatening situations in the outdoors should be confrontations, not with wild animals but with people and their vicious "pets". Any fish?

[This message has been edited by Preston Singletary (edited 07-29-2000).]

#93438 - 07/29/00 03:48 PM Re: Cujo and friend
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I have carried for a few years when I think I may need to. Some jerks always pick on the biggest guy they can find. Must think that a brush with a severe butt kicking is some kinda turn on or something. The biggest problem is that if I do whip'em, they may pull a weapon. I have never had to draw my gun, but have had many conficts that I talked down. That is the best bet, talk. I should be a lawyer. As for dogs and bears, 10% or higher pepper spray may work. There is a item called an ASP that is a collapsable night stick. It is no bigger then 6-8 inches and is worn on the belt. It is a concealed weapon, so have a permit. Just grab the end and swing, out shoots up to 30 inches of steel and BAM! No more problem. Mini bat. I heard that there was talk to make these law enforcement/security use only, so check it out before you get one.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#93439 - 07/30/00 12:17 AM Re: Cujo and friend
in2fish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Snohomish
Thanks for the input. I really didn't mean to start up another gun debate. Just wanted to see what people thought. I think I will try to get some pepper spray and try to stay the hell out of the way...of everything and everybody.

And by the way...no fish seen or touched that day. See ya on the river...but not too close.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 375 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |