Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#934094 - 07/13/15 04:29 PM WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

See press release and their "sign on" letter:

http://wildfishconservancy.org/about/pre...ions-for-salmon

#934113 - 07/13/15 06:35 PM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
I vote for that

#934119 - 07/13/15 07:34 PM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I'm hearing reports of lots of dead salmon in the Willamette Basin.

There's a sucker born every minute

#934140 - 07/14/15 07:38 AM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: SBD]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Lord love a duck. The Willamette has about zero in common with any stream in Wa. Thing is what happens in drought years differ by location and watershed. On the coast ( GH & Willapa ) we are rain driven and water temps in the upper 60's & lower 70's are not uncommon. We have our problem when the DO drops to very low levels in certain reaches such as the Centralia reach in the Chehalis.

What we have going on now is streams fed by lower level snow pack did not get a snow pack. Mostly are OP or Cascade origin streams and they will have issues. The BC Cascade snow pack was 90% or so of normal so the big C will have flows. So we have the usual suspects running around screaming the end is near. It is not but it is going to get ugly. As for the coast while these temps are not unusual they are 5 to 6 weeks early. So we will have fish perish and particularly hatchery runs that have small water sources, lots of fish returning, and no way to get them to get into the facility.

It will get ugly to be sure but not much different than the early 90's on the coast. PS is going see the emerging collision between urbanization and the natural order which in average to good conditions is masked. After the drought is done ( which will happen ) it will only be something else for PS as that dance has just started.

Edited by Rivrguy (07/14/15 07:40 AM)

#934143 - 07/14/15 08:22 AM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
Brent K Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Washington
I would expect to see the Stilliguamish closed to fishing for salmon, maybe everything. Hopefully we will get some rain by the time the silvers show up.

#934155 - 07/14/15 10:18 AM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
http://www.cbbulletin.com/

For those who feel it's only an Oregon problem.

There's a sucker born every minute

#934224 - 07/15/15 08:17 AM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

What fish are these folks trying to protect here? Very few people fish for trout in our streams, and many who do harvest any legal fish they catch, so release mortality becomes something of a moot point. The vast majority of whatever steelhead are in the rivers this time of year are hatchery summer runs. One would think the WFC would be glad to see all those fish dead. Springers/summer kings may be another story, and perhaps it would be appropriate to close fisheries that impact them significantly, but wholesale rules like this don't make sense for habitats as diverse as we have in our state.

Fish kills due to water temps will happen, despite any action we take. Closing fishing might save a small number of fish, but if massive fish kills happen, those few fish will not have any meaningful impact.

More and more, it seems like WFC is only doing this stuff to piss off license-buying sport fishers.

#934225 - 07/15/15 08:22 AM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
My thoughts exactly. People are fishing terminal fishing areas for meat this time of year. That and killing humpies. If anything they need to boost the pink limit to 10 fish a day so we can cull the hordes and leave available substrate for the species of concern.
I want to be a fisherman.

#934595 - 07/17/15 01:52 PM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: ]
death to snaggers Offline
Eyed Egg

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
We lost the entire creek flow here in restoration creek a couple days ago for an entire day. Most all fry, salmon, cutts and bows were lost here from my place a mile upstream to where the creek runs into the Green.

With the Green lowered by the dam managers to levels not seen before, leaving the beavers and ponding nearly dry in the braids and sloughs near Metzler, evaporation, and an over night pumping of creek water to feed upstream crops, the creek went form just able to keep up with the heat and low flows, to dry gravel and cobble with the loss of fish estimated at 90% or more.

Absolutely heartbreaking...

Myassisdragon,

I live less than a mile from the river, and float it all the time. I too have seen the pump that Mosby is using and can't help but cringe whenever I float by. That industrial pump has to be extracting water at the rate of hundreds of GPM. If we are expected to stop fishing due to low water events, how are they able to extract this water 24/7? Do they need any permits or approval to do this? The river is dropping and dropping and this pump (along with others I'm sure) is not helping. I'd really like to know if the authorities are aware of this and if there is any legal basis for making it stop (or, at the very least, limiting the extraction to XX gallons/day).

Carry on...

#934598 - 07/17/15 02:02 PM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: JustBecause]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Its become clear to me that the "managers" of this "rainy" state have never played the scenario game of "what if" on a variety of subjects. In my line of work, I'd be fired for not doing so. How cool would it be to have a government job?

#934615 - 07/17/15 04:28 PM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: NickD90]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: NickD90
Its become clear to me that the "managers" of this "rainy" state have never played the scenario game of "what if" on a variety of subjects. In my line of work, I'd be fired for not doing so. How cool would it be to have a government job?

They see a disaster as an opportunity. They will cry about money being the issue and the people will want something done so the cash spigot gets opened. They are actually incentified to let the worst case scenario take place. With the increased cash comes raises and promotions along with the new hires. I see at least $10 million in future grants to study scenarios going forward. All under the banner of global warming. There is no penalty for letting the worst case scenario happen with zero action.

#934707 - 07/18/15 07:47 PM Re: WFC Seeks Closures due to High Water Temps [Re: NickD90]
TastySalmon Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Samish
Originally Posted By: NickD90

What do you think should have been done differently?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 944 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |