Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93482 - 07/29/00 05:00 PM herring and bobber fishing
Gonefishin Offline
Fry

next saturday i am going fishing for salmon at deception pass state park and i don't know how to make a rig for herring and bobber fishing. can anyone help me.

#93483 - 07/29/00 05:06 PM Re: herring and bobber fishing
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
Hey gonefishin, if you look up under bobber in the search guide you will find a whole list of ways to throw bobbers and just about anything else out in the water.
Some one not too long ago, within the month, explained how he has been doing for a couple of years.

elmtree (woody)

#93484 - 07/29/00 10:04 PM Re: herring and bobber fishing
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I have found that the best (and cheapest) way to set up floats for salmon is to run a slip float. I tie a leader on, attach my lead at the swivel, run a small holed bead on the main line, and then the slip bobber. For a bobber stop I take a rubber band and break it. Then tie an overhand knot where I want the bobber to stop. The weight will pull down the line through the float to the stop and the depth is easy to adjust. The only problem is sometimes the stop will finally come free. Then just tie a new knot. Use pretied mooching rigs for leaders if you don't tie your own. I prefer solid tie. Also you can take a plastic straw from a burger joint, cut small, like 1/8, strips and use a hot needle to make three holes in the strip. Then thread the line through the holes for another cheap stop. Most slip bobbers come with a few stops.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#93485 - 07/29/00 10:26 PM Re: herring and bobber fishing
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Big Jim, learn how to tie a nail knot with 20# dacron. It is a much better alternative to the ruber band. Plus, it slides through the guides much easier.

[This message has been edited by salmontackler (edited 07-29-2000).]

#93486 - 07/30/00 01:42 AM Re: herring and bobber fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a float stopper knot. Tie it with dacron. Leave tails long enough so you can tighten if it starts to slip.

Tight Lines

------------------
Marty
Steelheader.net marty@steelheader.net

#93487 - 07/30/00 02:10 AM Re: herring and bobber fishing
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
You can use dental floss to tie your bobber stops. Nail knot on a cocktail straw works well. It would probably work OK with Marty's stopper knot, too. I use plain floss and it shoots through the guides easily. I'll leave it to others to experiment with waxed, mint-flavored, and recycled floss

#93488 - 07/30/00 02:37 AM Re: herring and bobber fishing
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I use the nail knots when my hands don't hurt. But I have had good luck with the bands, fast and easy. I have also tied the nail knot onto a plastic tube from a Q-tip and then use that to slide the knot on to the main line. You can put a mess of knots on a few tubes.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 575 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |