THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#937343 - 08/21/15 07:27 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
eldplanko Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: Fishtales
Should have taken a picture first thing this morning when there were 30+ Chinook carcasses piled on the rocks next to the first dock at the launch. This is what was still there this afternoon. Sure would like to know the story behind this..... Can't help but think it's tribal related. We had to released two hatchery Chinook today while Coho fishing, 15 and 7 lbs. I didn't think it was even legal to dump carcasses in the marina regardless of who you are?! Looked to me like an "In-your-face" move.

The fish on the bottom left looks like a wild doesn't it?

#937345 - 08/21/15 11:07 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Charter boats come in with fileted rockfish every trip, 50 gallon bucket full of carcasses. Drop off at dock for tag checking by WDFW and then run a bucket out for another boat and dump outside of the boat basin, daily.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#937384 - 08/23/15 07:38 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
BigRedHead Offline
Smolt

Loc: WA, King
The carcases are likely from the Elliott Bay opener week before last they got 250 or so chinook , and will be conducting a few night time fisheries, as far as i know all of this is whithin Elliott Bay and some of the tribal fishermen use the shilshole ramp

#937392 - 08/23/15 12:19 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I thought the Mucks said they had no directed king fisheries?? If there are surplus kings in Elliot Bay, why are we not being given the opportunity to fish?
If the tribe was responsible for the dumping of the carcasses, this was a big F*** you to the rec's. They knew it wouldn't go un-noticed and that we would be pissed but they don't care.

#937612 - 08/25/15 08:56 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
If you went to Barkley and brought back your whole fish like you're supposed to, and you lived on the bluff right above the ramp, and you liked to screw a bit with the Internet and dock police, you might dump your carcasses there. Not me, but I know someone that fits the description above who's been known to deposit his Barkley carcasses down there. Last summer there was a similar uproar about a fileted halibut down there in August. I have no idea if it was him this time around, but wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Edited by salty (08/25/15 08:59 PM)

#937847 - 08/31/15 01:37 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Kelson Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Washington
I can confirm that it was indeed Shilshole. I was there and there were at least 30 carcasses on the south side of the south pier near tideline. I spoke with the checker and he said he worked the entire day on Wed and there were no carcasses there when he left. He said folks that were crabbing found them and took them for bait. These were fresh when i saw them around 5:30 AM. Regardless of who did it, i feel it was in your face and just wrong to leave them there. IMHO.

The main purpose of my post is to validate the original post by Fishtales.
K

#937873 - 08/31/15 08:44 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Dumped my Westport Carc's in West Seattle last week but I at least went to the end of the dock. Don't need to showboat like this individual. Most likely someone like me who didn't dice up the fish until they got home. You guys get so panty wadded.

#937929 - 09/01/15 01:06 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Kelson Offline
Eyed Egg

This post is to validate Fishtales post. I was there at 5:30 AM and there were at least 30 fresh carcasses on the south side of the south most launch pier. They were just below the tide line. I spoke with the fish checker when I returned from fishing and he noticed them when he came to work in the morning and indicated that they were not there when he left on Wed. The numbers in Fishtales photo were due to crabbers taking them for their pots. So most did go to a good cause if that is any consolation.
It is also interesting that their disposal corresponds directly with the biggest push (by far) of chinook through the locks.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/counts/sockeye/chinook_chart.jpg

K

#937931 - 09/01/15 01:20 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Kelson Offline
Eyed Egg

Sorry for the double post.....newbie. It is a bit encouraging to see the locks numbers moving above the preseason forecast (see previous post for link).
"Panty wadded"...yes i suppose so. It is hard to look forward all year to a king fishery at our front door and of late see it go from a little to none. I suppose this fact might make it easier for one to jump to (potentially logical) conclusions.

K

#937992 - 09/02/15 07:11 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Went to the locks last friday after hitting seamar for some tuna knives and the tide was out but the kings were thick. Kegged up waiting for the incoming tide. Potential for thousands of eggs just that day I was there.

Got to hand it to the tribes. They have not netted anywhere they usually do except for their ceremonial fishery earlier in the summer. Saw the net lights monday morning at 530am on the way to work from WS but they haven't been there since. I have gained some respect for them by keeping the nets out and acknowledging a low water potential poor year for returns. So good game to the tribes thus far. I know they will be nailing the pinks if they are there and the coho. That is fine, they are open to us. So to all of you get out there and kill some pinks and get those [Bleeeeep!] fish out of the river so the kings can get the good spawning grounds. Nutrients or not they are taking up space in prime real estate.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |