Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#937259 - 08/20/15 06:42 PM King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp
Fishtales Offline
Smolt

Loc: Monroe
Should have taken a picture first thing this morning when there were 30+ Chinook carcasses piled on the rocks next to the first dock at the launch. This is what was still there this afternoon. Sure would like to know the story behind this..... Can't help but think it's tribal related. We had to released two hatchery Chinook today while Coho fishing, 15 and 7 lbs. I didn't think it was even legal to dump carcasses in the marina regardless of who you are?! Looked to me like an "In-your-face" move.

Attachments
20150820_114659 (800x450).jpg

#937264 - 08/20/15 08:02 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Press notified? Reel News if nothing else responds.

#937267 - 08/20/15 08:31 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Piper
Unregistered

nothing to look at here... growing the crabs for next year

#937271 - 08/20/15 09:17 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

And they left the collars on???

What the holy hell is wrong with people nowadays..

#937277 - 08/20/15 10:24 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

I know where I'm crabbing next year. Those salmon fed crabbies are the tastiest. Extraspecially those illegal to retain nookers give them a sweet sweet taste of what once was and never will be again type fisheries.

#937285 - 08/21/15 07:32 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
What is the concern? Putting the carks back into the water is exactly what anglers are supposed to do. It's not much different than a spawned out salmon. It's alot better than tossing them into a landfill.

The marine derived nutrients are exactly what the estuary needs. Take note of the small fish that are feeding off the carks. The crabs can't be far behind.

Whoever put these carks in the water is doing things correctly.

Also, I counted six carks. That's a daily limit for three anglers.

Edited by cohoangler (08/21/15 07:33 AM)

#937288 - 08/21/15 07:59 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

At least it's better then last year at the Monte launch on the Chehalis, HUGE pile of tuna carcasses dumped in the middle of the middle launch, it could not be used without moving them. Total shi*heads. Bob R

#937300 - 08/21/15 09:59 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: cohoangler]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: cohoangler
What is the concern? Putting the carks back into the water is exactly what anglers are supposed to do. It's not much different than a spawned out salmon. It's alot better than tossing them into a landfill.

The marine derived nutrients are exactly what the estuary needs. Take note of the small fish that are feeding off the carks. The crabs can't be far behind.

Whoever put these carks in the water is doing things correctly.

Also, I counted six carks. That's a daily limit for three anglers.

Two issues with this:

#1 - There is no King retention in area 10.

#2 - I'm all for adding nutrients back into the system, but even if they were legally retained dumping them right at the boat launch is just rude and nasty.

#937302 - 08/21/15 10:55 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Just because the carcasses are at Shilshole doesn't mean they were caught in a closed area wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#937303 - 08/21/15 11:15 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
eldplanko Offline
Fry

It's a short run to MA 11 from Shilshole... just saying, 30+ seems a bit suspicious though.

On dumping the carks... like all things, it's a matter of amount. One guy doing it, no biggie... everyone doing it, could be a problem (think sealions in westport).

I fish out of shilshole myself, I dump my carks elsewhere in Salmon bay.

#937304 - 08/21/15 11:15 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I've been to Shilshole 1000 times and that doesnt look like any of the docks or surrounding waters by the boat launch there.

#937305 - 08/21/15 11:27 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
River Nutrients

One concern is an entirely legal one. It is illegal, under the Clean Water Act, to put biological materials (and a host of other stuff) into the water. When WDF first started the whole nutrient enhancement/put carcasses back program they had to do a complete environmental review and get approval from the water quality regulators. Which they did.

Biologically and ecologically there is nothing wrong with what they did. That doesn't make it legal, though. Not that they care.

#937307 - 08/21/15 11:41 AM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
I've been to Shilshole 1000 times and that doesnt look like any of the docks or surrounding waters by the boat launch there.

Agree. That is definitely not one of the docks at the boat launch, or in the marina...Shilshole's docks all are made of much nicer wood, and don't they have white rubber all along both sides of both docks at the boat launch?

There may not be rubber along the south edge of the southernmost dock?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#937311 - 08/21/15 12:46 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Poor form to dump them at the ramp, whatever ramp it was. Take them out and dump them in the deeper water if you must.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#937314 - 08/21/15 01:48 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
One concern is an entirely legal one. It is illegal, under the Clean Water Act, to put biological materials (and a host of other stuff) into the water. When WDF first started the whole nutrient enhancement/put carcasses back program they had to do a complete environmental review and get approval from the water quality regulators. Which they did.

Biologically and ecologically there is nothing wrong with what they did. That doesn't make it legal, though. Not that they care.

Dang, guess I risked a hefty Federal violation each time I returned clam, shrimp and crab remains back to the beach. Oh, what should I do now that I realize what a bad environmental steward I have been for so many years??? Well, maybe continue with what I've been doing.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#937323 - 08/21/15 03:11 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
River Nutrients

Note I said it was illegal. I didn't say it was not the right thing to do.

#937329 - 08/21/15 03:49 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Note I said it was illegal. I didn't say it was not the right thing to do.

I was snickering the whole time I was typing! grin

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#937330 - 08/21/15 03:57 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Sky-Guy]
Fishtales Offline
Smolt

It's right between the dock and the rocks in front of the Coney hot dog place. Take a look on visit 1001. smile I was with someone you know well, initials JB.

#937332 - 08/21/15 04:02 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
Fishtales Offline
Smolt

There was 30 at 5:30am and it is Shilshole. LOL

#937340 - 08/21/15 06:56 PM Re: King Carcasses Dumped at Shilshole Boat Ramp [Re: Fishtales]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
One issue here is that you can't fillet your fish and dump the carcasses before "coming ashore" per WDFW regulations:

"Clean or portion fish or shellfish while in the field with the following exceptions: It is unlawful for an angler to fail to retain proof of compliance
with species, size, number, weight, sex, or wild or hatchery origin restriction, if such restrictions apply, until the angler is ashore and has finished fishing for the day. For all ROCKFISH species and for fish with a length restriction, anglers must retain the fish carcass until coming ashore to comply with the above rule. This does not apply if the catch is in the process of being prepared for immediate consumption."

If you come ashore, filleted your fish, then went back out to dump the carcasses, good luck convincing a wildlife officer as you came in a second time that you already came ashore once before dumping carcasses...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |