Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#939493 - 09/21/15 04:26 PM Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, the last several times I've cured eggs, they've ended up smelling funky, and I think it's because they've got fish slime, etc. from the body cavity on them.

I try remove the eggs from the hen without touching them with my skin, I don't rinse the eggs (since everyone says not too), and I do my best to squeeze any residual blood out of the veins in the skein before curing.

Since I don't rinse them, they always have some fish goo on them when I sprinkle on the Pro Glow or whatever else I'm using, and I think that's why they've ended up not smelling as good as good eggs should.

How do you guys make sure your eggs are clean or otherwise prep them for curing?

#939497 - 09/21/15 04:31 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
fishem! your over thinking it buddy.

#939506 - 09/21/15 04:59 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Eh, I'd have more confidence fishing dick nites or something else compared to smelly eggs.

#939517 - 09/21/15 05:45 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: Brewer]
softhackle Offline
Alevin

Loc: Washington
I agree, they should be fished. If you don't want them, I know someone who does wink

Edited by softhackle (09/21/15 05:46 PM)

#939518 - 09/21/15 05:53 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: MPM
Eh, I'd have more confidence fishing dick nites or something else compared to smelly eggs.

It sounds like your are setting yourself up to not fish smelly eggs and thus not catch anything in them.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#939529 - 09/21/15 07:41 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm no egg guru but I just rip them out, butterfly the skeins, throw them in a gallon bag, and sprinkle some cure on them. Put in refrigerator and swish/flip the bags around a few times over the next couple of hours. Sometime within the week, I'll pull them out and usually air dry them for a few hours. Put in open freezer bags, freeze, then seal. Cut the bag open before thawing. Probably not "the best" eggs but they work.

#939530 - 09/21/15 07:43 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Since nobody has asked the fish what they like, all we can do is present them with an opportunity and see if they are good or not. I've caught fish on old freezer burned eggs, dried out eggs, moldy eggs....you name it. I actually did OK on last year's moldy eggs on springers this year. Most of the scents and egg cures are marketing gimmicks that fool fisherman. It's what's in the egg membrane that counts.... fish em!

Edited by Bent Metal (09/21/15 07:44 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#939531 - 09/21/15 07:49 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Brewer Offline

I do something else that others would think is a huge mistake. after curing I run all the eggs under the city tap water till cure is rinsed from the eggs. then air dry. have never noticed any ill effect in fish intrest. kings, silvers and steelhead all like city water.

#939535 - 09/21/15 08:16 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

I make a bigger deal out of curing my eggs to fish well. The firmness to last a bunch of casts is more valuable to me than having them juicy or smelling right. I just want to keep them in the water and not fuss around re baiting.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#939539 - 09/21/15 08:50 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I eat them but after reading this thread, I'll be looking for hooks.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#939541 - 09/21/15 09:21 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: blackmouth]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I lay out my eggs on cardboard in the old fridge to drain the blood overnight, then butterfly and let drain some more in the fridge. It was smellier before I had the extra fish/beverage fridge/freezer as I dried out in the garage under a fan. Borax is a fabric softener and helps deodorize besides drying them out. Stays good in the freezer and I can thaw out in a bag with salmon cure and water or fish straight up for steelhead.

#939545 - 09/21/15 10:56 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I'm with Aaron. Fish em'.

Cut em' out ASAP and place unwashed into a gallon bag. Repeat catching hens until full (or not). No cutting or washing, whole skeins. Leave em' alone once out of the hen. Add seasoning of choice to bag. Turn 1 - 3 times a day for 2-3 days. Take out and dry on cookie racks. Or don't dry and leave with juice for a wet egg. IMO - I like dry eggs. Water makes them wet or so I'm told. Once dry, place 1 - 2 skeins into small tupperware containers. No lid. Freeze. Once frozen, vac pack into daily allotments. Solo days = small vac packs. Party boat = many big packs. These last 5 years in the freezer or as long as your vac pack holds out. Cut to size on the river per species.

Also Brewer is right. I've added too much seasoning in the bag and have been forced to add tap H2O to dilute and poor off. In some batches, this has made a better finished egg. Fish em'.

#939550 - 09/22/15 07:35 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
You can pat them off with a paper towel before curing. If you want them to smell better, add anise a couple hours after adding the cure.

My normal thing is to cut them out of the fish while gutting and gilling on the river and put in a ziplock. When I'm home, I lay them out on paper towels, butterfly, and cut into salmon bait sizes. Then I'll sprinkle on cure and put in a small mason jar. I'll keep turning and shaking them every couple hours while sitting at room temperature. After about 6 hours, I'll squirt in some anise or sandshrimp scent. After about 12 hours, I'll put them in the fridge to re-absorb. After about 4 days, they get frozen in the jar and vacuum sealed.

#939553 - 09/22/15 08:24 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Hey:

Lots of good advice given......if still un-sure, go to YOUTUBE.COM.....there are LOTS of videos that take you step by step.

This is a good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hnkamp-9c

Good luck....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#939554 - 09/22/15 09:33 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Just for fun, I'll tell you all about all the no-no's I committed while curing some eggs last week. In fact, about the only thing I did by the book was to promtly place the eggs in a ziploc bag immediately after opening up the fish. Made sure to keep the water out, too.

After that, it got a little ugly. First, I put the bag with the eggs in the cooler with the cleaned carcass (which, of course, was on ice). As all ziplocs eventually do, the bag eventually leaked, allowing one of the skeins to be completey soaked with freshwater, removing much of the natural orange color. Not a good start.

After that, I gently butterflied the skeins and set them on newspaper. Then, I added some anise scent, some salt, some sugar, and some borax and placed the eggs in front of a fan to air dry overnight. Next morning, I went to work without putting up the eggs, so they spent another day "marinating" at room temperature. When I got home, I found that the eggs had hardened up nicely and smelled, well, like fish eggs. As an added bonus, the Smelly Jelly I had used to scent the eggs, along with the brown sugar, had restored the color that had been lost in the leaky ziploc incident. Satisfied, I threw the skeins in bags and rolled them in more borax, then went straight to the freezer. Will they catch fish? We'll see....

I guess that was my long-winded way of saying "Fish 'em." Good luck. I predict fish will eat them, even if it's not the fish you are after.

#939556 - 09/22/15 09:49 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
Wait wait wait...FF02 uses bait...I was just about to ask you for your eggs. Guess not. lol

#939557 - 09/22/15 09:55 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Bleed your fish immediately upon catching. Should remove most of the blood from the skeins.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#939561 - 09/22/15 11:33 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I always rinse mine in very,very cold bottled water...then pat dry with paper towels. bleed don't bonk.............remove with rubber gloves into zip loc...........push any blood out of skein before rinsing. Good luck,

SZ

#939564 - 09/22/15 12:07 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
I always rinse mine in very,very cold bottled water...then pat dry with paper towels. bleed don't bonk.............remove with rubber gloves into zip loc...........push any blood out of skein before rinsing. Good luck,

SZ

Artesian Voss water to be exact...

#939566 - 09/22/15 12:11 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I always rinse mine. I either shake the water out, or might pay dry with a paper towel if I feel like it.

I used to bother taking out the blood, but don't think it matters.

I cure my eggs in glass as plastics leach nasties in the eggs. May not make a difference, but I just use gallon glass pickle jars.

Once cured, I transfer them to glass quart jars to freeze or use.

#939572 - 09/22/15 01:31 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: The Moderator]
Brewer Offline

Originally Posted By: paker

I used to bother taking out the blood, but don't think it matters.

me either, waste of time and another overkill useless procedure.

I've noticed there seems to guys like to put themselves into elite status and share their overkill procedures. then they share it on BBs. then others think that's "new" rule.

speaking of another "urban legend" it's a huge mistake to lay eggs on newspaper.... come on really?! this again falls under insecurity. for 50 years the old timers(vedder) ALL used newspaper! my fatherinlaw to this day has never used a chem cure for eggs. he only uses non iodized salt/borax... dries his eggs on what? newspaper.

fish are quite stupid creatures, never let them out think you whistle

#939574 - 09/22/15 01:44 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
People still have newspapers?

#939577 - 09/22/15 02:18 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Good question, Swifty. I live in East Grays Harbor County, which means I get a copy of the East County News weekly. More fit as an egg drying medium than a newspaper, but it's printed on newsprint, so I guess that makes it a newspaper....

#939597 - 09/22/15 08:26 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: Swifty27]
Brewer Offline

Originally Posted By: Swifty27
People still have newspapers?

newspaper recycling bins are a gold mine! thumbs

#939601 - 09/22/15 09:04 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Well heck I guess I'll fish 'em. I think I'll rinse the next skein I get too before curing and see if that makes a difference.

#939604 - 09/22/15 09:56 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Brewer Offline

I generally do my best to transfer straight eggs to bag. I have also salvaged skeins in the river from snaggers. honestly have witnessed no poor effects from them.

I once had a deep freezer go a month unplugged. everything was lost. my entire egg supply was vacuumed packed. I was very certain the eggs were ruined sitting a month warm.... I kept them any ways. all jars when opened had a fishy funk to them. caught kings on every jar!!!

fishy funk can be good...

#939698 - 09/24/15 01:44 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Smells like fish "It's a dish" Smells like "Cologne" leave it it alone..........Good luck,

SZ

#939821 - 09/26/15 09:17 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

I just realized I never posted my process. I am no expert and I cured my first eggs 5 years ago and only fished my friend's or store bought eggs before that. The mention of overkill procedures made me want to post this because I was reluctant to try curing eggs after hearing about all the steps and dos and don't and the whole process seemed like it would take a while to get right. So here is my process and it is based on the fact that I fish eggs 1/4 of the time for a lot of different species in many different fishing environments. If I fished eggs a lot more I would probably go deeper but at this point I do as well as anyone I see fishing the places I fish and to blame my eggs for some guy getting lucking on back to back casts or whatever is definitely a stretch.

1. Sulfate cures catch salmon and non sulfate borax based stuff catches salmon in a lot of circumstances but definitely is the main choice for steelhead.

2. An undyed and borax cured egg can be made into a dyed and a sulfate laced milky egg on the day of fishing with the addition of "juice" like fluids. I add these to the eggs at the river sometimes, sometimes the night before. So borax cured eggs are always more versatile which is a valuable feature

3. When fish is caught I bleed at river on leash while it is alive by cutting the gill in just one side of fish and "take the dog for a walk".

4. Once fish is bled you have a choice. If and only if I have a clean ziplock bag do I carefully cut eggs from body at the river and put them in the bag minimizing contact with anything including fish's bodily fluids and river water. Ideally scein should look kinda dry in the ziplock and enclosed by membrane. If I don't have a ziplock I keep the fish cool and leave body in tact. With proper bleeding and chill the eggs should be safe inside the fish. If the eggs are loose when I cut open the fish I don't bother, I hate dealing with loose eggs and would only do this in an absolutely need to basis which hasn't happened yet.

5. Sceins are butterfly cut as said before in this thread, and sprinkled for a minimal coating of borax or borax o fire type stuff. If eggs are wet a while later I rotate more and maybe add more borax and repeat if still super wet. Better eggs for me offer durability while fishing and are often less wet after the addition of cures in my experience.

6. In the end you should have a nice gooey product that can be used any time anywhere, altered to be a springer catcher or left alone to catch those picky low water winter steelhead. It shouldn't smell really bad, if that is the case I would check your fishing handling and egg handling procedures.

And again, I am no expert but that is my current system.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#939862 - 09/26/15 09:42 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
I'm no egg guru but I just rip them out, butterfly the skeins, throw them in a gallon bag, and sprinkle some cure on them. Put in refrigerator and swish/flip the bags around a few times over the next couple of hours. Sometime within the week, I'll pull them out and usually air dry them for a few hours. Put in open freezer bags, freeze, then seal. Cut the bag open before thawing. Probably not "the best" eggs but they work.

All you ever need to know about curing eggs.

If it looks like bait and smells like bait, it's bait and fish will eat it, salmon and steelhead alike.

Slow water and fishing stationary bait on anchor are two possible exceptions where scent plays perhaps a more significant role than appearance, and in those instances one formula can certainly out-perform another.

My experience would seem to say that as long as you do a half decent job of curing bait and do the same half decent job of putting it in front of fish, you'll catch a few.

Too bad sthlhdr1 stopped selling the "ultimate egg cure" a few years back. It truly was the ultimate. These days I buy Pautzkes in pink, orange, and red.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#940077 - 10/01/15 03:12 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Just added some bottom of the bags tuna oil/juice/blood to a quart jar of berries being cured up. These will be smelly and fishy.............Lol. Good luck,

SZ

#940120 - 10/02/15 10:49 AM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Brewer Offline

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
Just added some bottom of the bags tuna oil/juice/blood to a quart jar of berries being cured up. These will be smelly and fishy.............Lol. Good luck,

SZ

that will be a funky mess! expect some major success.

#940332 - 10/06/15 12:15 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: ColeyG]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Too bad sthlhdr1 stopped selling the "ultimate egg cure" a few years back. It truly was the ultimate.

I have one gallon bag of UEC left. I'm not parting with it. This is the "old school" recipe that was made before Stldr1 had something similar bottled up for a while. Also only have 2 quarts of frozen UEC eggs in the ready. One will get used up next week.

This cure is flat out money on salmon. Sometimes. wink

I've seen those cured eggs shine in places that were awfully dark and gloomy....and I've seen them go cold as ice when good old ProGlow/ProCure eggs lit up the place.

For salmon, it's always a good idea to have more than one type of cured eggs on hand.

For steelhead - as long as your bait is red or pink, don't think it matters too much. Just put it in front of their face and they will bite it.

#940354 - 10/06/15 01:57 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Agreed.Good luck,

SZ

#940395 - 10/06/15 06:36 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: The Moderator]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: paker
Too bad sthlhdr1 stopped selling the "ultimate egg cure" a few years back. It truly was the ultimate.

I have one gallon bag of UEC left. I'm not parting with it. This is the "old school" recipe that was made before Stldr1 had something similar bottled up for a while. Also only have 2 quarts of frozen UEC eggs in the ready. One will get used up next week.

This cure is flat out money on salmon. Sometimes. wink

I've seen those cured eggs shine in places that were awfully dark and gloomy....and I've seen them go cold as ice when good old ProGlow/ProCure eggs lit up the place.

For salmon, it's always a good idea to have more than one type of cured eggs on hand.

For steelhead - as long as your bait is red or pink, don't think it matters too much. Just put it in front of their face and they will bite it.

just in case you didn't read between the lines:

paker doesn't catch enough fish to actually have eggs to cure, but, if you take him out in your boat and he reels in a fish, he'll cure the eggs and bring them the next time you take him out on your boat. you might get to use them, or not...

smile

#940525 - 10/07/15 08:29 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: ColeyG]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

All you ever need to know about curing eggs.

If it looks like bait and smells like bait, it's bait and fish will eat it, salmon and steelhead alike.

Slow water and fishing stationary bait on anchor are two possible exceptions where scent plays perhaps a more significant role than appearance, and in those instances one formula can certainly out-perform another.

My experience would seem to say that as long as you do a half decent job of curing bait and do the same half decent job of putting it in front of fish, you'll catch a few.

Too bad sthlhdr1 stopped selling the "ultimate egg cure" a few years back. It truly was the ultimate. These days I buy Pautzkes in pink, orange, and red.

Now that the divorce is nearly final and the youngen has turned 3, I'm going to get back into the egg cure world... Looking to launch a 2nd recipe as well, one that I've held tightly too for my own use..

As to the smell of the eggs in this post, how long were the eggs out of the fish before cured? How many days did they cure? What temp did they cure at?

My guess is you've got a good batch going, that smell of "snake-piss" can't be beat in the egg world, the kings go nuts over it!

Keith

#940526 - 10/07/15 08:35 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm down to my last 1/2 bottle of UEC so this is great news. Let us know when it becomes available again!

#940528 - 10/07/15 09:13 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Let me know when you are back in business Keith and put me down for a case wink

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#940683 - 10/09/15 02:25 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: ColeyG]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Let me know when you are back in business Keith and put me down for a case wink

For sure. I'll put a post up on the board here when the day comes... Plus email/call the hundreds that have requested it over the last few years...

Keith thumbs

#940899 - 10/12/15 04:15 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: stlhdr1]
RobertF
Unregistered

I'll +1 on some of that UEC when it's available. smile

#940918 - 10/12/15 07:40 PM Re: Egg Curing Process / Smelly Eggs [Re: MPM]
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
two words 20 mule team & smell is your friend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1110 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |