THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#939589 - 09/22/15 06:53 PM Still looking for my first salmon.
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Hey all,

I have posted a few times throughout the year speaking of my frustration in not being able to catch salmon. I have recieved some great advice about plunking, drifting, trolling etc. In several areas on the columbia and grande ronde.

I have had 16 days on the water trying my luck on my own and one day with a guide... not even a hook up.

So I am gearing up for day 18 overall. I am thinking about taking my canoe with trolling motor to a forebay somewhere this weekend.

I live in Spokane so I am thinking the clarkston area, or tri cities area.

Basically, I am looking for some advice on water safe for my rig, and a method to hopefully put my first salmon on ice.

#939590 - 09/22/15 06:55 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

#939591 - 09/22/15 07:19 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
No Warranty Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Check out Brewers post about heading East. Private message him and maybe get details or fish with him if he's kind enough.
Or research the Brewster Pool area on the Columbia also.

#939593 - 09/22/15 07:30 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Hey thanks warrenty.

Anyone know anything about the waters near wawawai landing? Worth fishing? Any info on the water conditions around there? I am thinking about dragging around super baits?

#939594 - 09/22/15 07:42 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: No Warranty]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Brewer is only good for upside-down fish.
They count for half a fish.

Fish are coming your way.
I'm fishing steelies on the Deschutes.
Got one Chinookie last Sat.
This is the absolute best time of the year right now.

Cowboy songs, beer and steelies.
And some spudgun action tossed in for good measure.
Life is good.

#939595 - 09/22/15 07:54 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Simplify your style. How much time are you actually fishing something in the water as opposed to working towards that goal? Find your way to keep fishing and be confident. I watched a guy have a great day in early March catching winter steelhead on a vibrax because that is what he knew how to fish for brown trout back home. Any technique will usually work at a time and a place just choose your technique, learn it if you don't know it, and go. It is easy to carry a [Bleeeeep!] ton of gear for salmon and thats great but as a noob I would always recommend simplify.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#939613 - 09/23/15 12:48 AM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Looking at the fish counts it seems above mcnary may be the ticket. I have been skunked there twice, any advice on that location would be great as well.

#939629 - 09/23/15 10:21 AM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
getting skunked is very common.

that's some big water, you in a boat?

#939634 - 09/23/15 11:40 AM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
A little early for McNary. There's fish crossing, but they don't get real snappy until October/November. Put a shrimp 10-20ft under a bobber and see what happens. Or drag some plugs or superbaits around. Get off the water if an east wind comes up.

#939790 - 09/25/15 03:06 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

I am thinking about pulling around some super baits... do people recommend a flasher?

I am thinking I am going to launch on the Oregon side I am wondering about depth...

Should I be fishing relatively close to shore in say 40 feet of water... or should I get out into deeper areas?

I found this chart and am hoping to get some insight:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18541.shtml

Any advise as to should I try and get down as deep as possible or try and target surface or suspending fish?

Again any help is appreciated!
I

#939791 - 09/25/15 03:18 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
Sounds like you're pretty green (new) to salmon fishing.

I would hire a guide for a day or follow a guide in your boat. Either way, observe where the guide is fishing, what he is using, and so on.

Good luck,

#939797 - 09/25/15 05:36 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: eugene1]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Originally Posted By: eugene1
, observe where the guide is fishing, what he is using, and so on.

Agree 100%... If you can get close enough to snag his gear and get it into your boat, so you can examine it even further is recommended. Don't hover around him all day and then get desperate and cross his lines. Act like your being chased by bees, swerve over, etc.... When he screams at you, tell him you didn't think he was down that deep, he will yell back something in relation to depth he is fishing and BAM...You have gear he is fishing and the depth figured out, the rest is history. banana

#939817 - 09/26/15 07:56 AM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
cncfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: whale pass
so looking at that chart.... and knowing salmon habitat.... and never having been there in my life...

I would start above the fish ladder as close to the ladder as possible. I know at lower granite by Pullman we fished within feet of the top of the ladder. no Idea whats legal here but I would want a steady amount of fish coming by my gear. bobber eggs or bobber shrimp try to find out at what depth the fish ladder top is and stay within 5 feet of that depth for about 50 yards in all directions. from there I would go up stream to those pilings nearest to the fish ladder. stay as close to the structure as I could. my last try would be upstream to the 7 on the map... it looks like a nice point with a deep drop to 25 60 then 102.... fish the down current side of that at all depths till I find them... if none of that worked I would go up to hat rock park looks like some water dumps in there so you might find some checking that smell out. last of all I would go up in a large boat with good eletronics and hit the lee side of the old gravel bars and high spots on the bottom. much harder to find and stay on but there should be fish there.

good luck.

#939881 - 09/27/15 10:09 AM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: cncfish]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I would suggest an anchovy below a float just off the bottom of the inside water seams.

#939896 - 09/27/15 07:25 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Went to McNary today. Fished from 7:15 to noon. Trolled super baits, stuffed with tuna in oil salmon lunker lotion and pautski krill powder, behind 8 inch flashers, a few different patterns if each. Long lined wiggle worts in a few patterns. I was rocking s turns from the ladder to around 500 yards up the bank... snunked again. Only saw one fish caught.

Hope to go back in a week or two... might try plunking at ringgold, maybe explore somewhere on the snake...

#939897 - 09/27/15 08:28 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

You should try one technique and stick with it until you catch a fish.

#939898 - 09/27/15 09:11 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk

+1

#939902 - 09/28/15 08:32 AM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

While Brad's super baits will work, I've never found them to be near as good as a real bait. If I were you, I'd pick up a dozen herring and brine them up the night before. Squirt some anchovy oil in the brine and/or crush up an anchovy with the herring. Rig the herring as a choked herring (here's a good video on that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tXyJTngXc). Troll those behind a rotating flasher and diver or with a rotating flasher and a dropper weight. Stick with it until you catch a fish. I can guarantee that such a setup will catch salmon in most any river that has a salmon run and it's probably the most common way to catch salmon in the Columbia.

Fishing in a river, the bites often happen in little "episodes" as schools come through. Thus any gear you use will often go without a touch for an hour or two or more. If you switch between different types of gear, a) Your line is out of the water while switching and b) you may have switched from gear that is more productive to something that is less productive just because the fish weren't there at the time. Then when the "bite" is on, you've got crap in the water that has a low probability of a catch. Day in and day out, a good herring with a little anchovy scent behind a rotating flasher has a high probability of catching. Stick with that until you get fish. I will say that some flasher/diver combos work better than others so it's sometimes worth swapping flashers around.

#939925 - 09/28/15 03:22 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: yellowsevenpot]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Fish with killers of fish.

#939926 - 09/28/15 03:45 PM Re: Still looking for my first salmon. [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Fish with killers of fish.

Two very solid pieces of advice right there.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 841 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |