Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#940448 - 10/07/15 12:24 PM Snohomish Area Small Game
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I'd like to get my new lab pup out for a walk and possibly find some Grouse and Bunnies. I know of the Snoho Pheasant release sites, but that just sounds like a cluster to me. Any suggestions in and around middle Snoho county? I'm in the Clearview, Snoho valley area and would like to stay relatively close for short day hunts. Mostly, I'd just like to get the pup out and stretch his legs. If we run into game, its a bonus.

Any help with a good safe training area would be most appreciated. PM as needed. Ike or Brood? Also, if anyone would like to join up that would be great.

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by NickD90 (10/07/15 12:32 PM)

#940481 - 10/07/15 02:57 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I hunt those release sites a lot. No clusters if you go afternoon. Most will be completely empty. I prefer Stillwater as there is a lot of different terrain including river and ponds

If pup has good bird instincts he should bump up a few.

If you can keep your pup from flushing birds wild you can join me some afternoon. today was my first skunk all season, but I had a good chance and missed a fairly easy shot.

#940494 - 10/07/15 04:20 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
I hunt crescent lake fairly frequently, mostly due to proximity to my home. It can seem like a cluster at times, especially at the 8am hour, but as Dave mentioned, the late morning and afternoon is less crowded. There is a lot of space to move about, though and everybody is pretty cool. If i run into someone on the trail, I just go the other way. even during the heavy use hours, you can find open space to run your dog around. has he been around guns much? I'll be out there this weekend if you'd like to hook up.

willy

#940505 - 10/07/15 05:25 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks guys - I appreciate the guidance. The pup is young at 6 months and he's still very raw. I've shot around him a few times and he doesn't seem to mind. But he's nowhere near ready for prime time (yet). My goal is to spend some private time with him this fall before he pisses everyone off.

Willy - PM sent.

Thanks again....

#940680 - 10/09/15 01:48 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Originally Posted By: NickD90
I'd like to get my new lab pup out for a walk and possibly find some Grouse and Bunnies.

First off, no bunnies....your lab is a bird dog. Only Beagles/hounds hunt rabbits. I hate it when one of our dogs gets "birdy" and then out comes Bugs. My word was always "No fur!", and that includes rodents, deer, etc.

I would team up with Dave or Willy and hit one of the release sites in the afternoon. Or you could join our gang on one of our many bird hunting trips to the dry side.

If you have your deer tag we could also head to my cabin and do a deer/grouse trip next weekend. I have my multiseason deer tag so I could hunt too. Let me know...

Ike

Edited by Ikissmykiss (10/09/15 01:49 PM)

#940750 - 10/10/15 05:17 AM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks Ike - pm sent...:)

#940756 - 10/10/15 08:33 AM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Maybe you guys should hunt in my backyard.

#940760 - 10/10/15 09:15 AM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

That's a dandy right there!

#940762 - 10/10/15 10:08 AM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: Dave Vedder]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Dandy backyard buck, Dave. He has that familiar guilty look about him that says he's been enjoying your garden and fallen kiwis. wink

Our resident herd of brown-eyed locusts has been jostled by the recent appearance of song dogs. A breeding pair had pups this summer. Have seen them on either side of darkness and mostly heard them after sunset. Watched one ala Leica 10X dig up a plump mole at dawn, toss it around and sing of his success. As long as they stay on a diet of rodents and not poultry, they can do their natural balancing act. Both the owls and the 'yotes have been hunting the property hard since I mowed the fields in late June.

#940781 - 10/10/15 04:44 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
that guy's a stud. today was definitely blacktail weather.....

willy

#940831 - 10/11/15 02:23 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: Dave Vedder]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Maybe you guys should hunt in my backyard.

Dave, let me know if you want that destructive beast "removed" .. .. .
I have a nice "quiet" rifle that would work well. . . ..

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#940869 - 10/12/15 12:23 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Driftin'

Could you please share with me how you've taught the yotes to catch & eat the moles at your place? Mine place looks like the surface of the moon of late!

8,000V from a full 1 Joule poultry fence energizer around the coop + wet paws + wet 'yote nose = one hell of a racket that woke me up and made me laugh. After that teachable moment, moles are a pretty safe option hereabouts....

Failing that, have heard good things about these. Post pixels of the body count.

#940875 - 10/12/15 01:51 PM Re: Snohomish Area Small Game [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

I have those mole traps and they work like a charm. I highly recommend them....

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |