THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#942414 - 10/31/15 11:44 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

Yes, I do not know what I enjoy more. Your words or pictures. Both high quality.

#942460 - 11/02/15 01:08 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Never been a reader but I do really enjoy reading your tails. Thankyou for sharing

#942461 - 11/02/15 05:13 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Plenty of screen saver photos.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#942462 - 11/02/15 06:01 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
As always.

Outstanding work Coley.

Rusty Bell

#942465 - 11/02/15 07:14 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Choices.

You can take great pride in knowing you have made the correct ones for you.

Nice job.

#942537 - 11/02/15 08:24 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Awesome stuff!

#942577 - 11/03/15 10:03 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts guys. I certainly never intended to ramble on for so long, but it was exceptionally hard to try and decide what to leave out, so I just kept on smile

Glad some of you enjoyed bits and pieces at least. It is medicinal for me to force myself to sit and relive the details before they fade as well.

Great read---you sure you're not a cop?

#942580 - 11/03/15 10:38 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0

Stand and run directly at the sheep.

It's almost like he was 2Near us in the woods last Tuesday and stole my technique...which, incidentally, didn't work. Shooting at a running deer the size of a terrier in thick brush is apparently not a successul technique for me.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#942581 - 11/03/15 10:49 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Finally had a chance to sit down and read all of this Coley...I shared my congratulations with you privately a while ago when you showed me the pics, this time I'll just thank you for the wonderful write up.

Very inspiring.

Fish on...

Todd

#942584 - 11/03/15 11:08 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: Todd]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Originally Posted By: Todd
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0

Stand and run directly at the sheep.

It's almost like he was 2Near us in the woods last Tuesday and stole my technique...which, incidentally, didn't work. Shooting at a running deer the size of a terrier in thick brush is apparently not a successul technique for me.

Fish on...

Todd

Oh so wrong my friend.
It did work.
Your pack out was lighter.

#942585 - 11/03/15 11:10 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

My pockets got lighter as I was running like a commando thru the woods while reloading...that deer probably thought I was fuckin insane.

I know Nick did...nothing like sitting in a tree stand watching your buddy play Tecmo Bowl with a deer in the bushes...not sure how he didn't fall out of the tree.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Shot a better one later that day, the only reason I can laugh at myself on this one wink

#942589 - 11/03/15 11:32 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Glad you got out and found success.

#942593 - 11/03/15 12:06 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville

As always, great story and read, Coley! Always look forward to your fall adventures and you never disappoint.

#942620 - 11/04/15 06:53 AM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
Bravo!!!

#942879 - 11/07/15 03:47 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
'G,
Speaking of getting closer....

After watching two Clydesdale 6x6 bulls feeding at just over 100 yards before they dropped into the adjacent drainage, it took this third, smaller 6x6 bull about 2 hours to browse his way from a saddle at 200 yards to about 40 before he bedded down in the thick stuff just below me for the day.

Saw him the day before too. I had just come up from the bottom of the drainage to sit on a steep sage slope that was on the lee side to a known bedding area. Factors pointed to watching this timbered edge until dusk while also reducing some of the vertical back to camp. I paused briefly to grab some water and snap a couple of quick photos as the sun and clouds atop the far ridge were making for some interesting scenes. Was just getting ready to continue up to my chosen sit spot when a bull chirped just inside the nearby timber and a hoof struck a windfall. I rapidly ditched the camera, grabbed my rifle and stepped into the squat tree with my pack at my feet as 3 calves tumbled out onto the sage slope with 5 wary cows. The lead cow fixed my eyes and everyone bunched up behind her. Thought I was busted by my mere proximity. Fortunately, I had the fickle mountain wind in my favor and after a fair spell, she began to browse and they all warily joined in their breakfast, each keeping one eye on me. After a few minutes passed and they fed to within 15 paces, the 6x6 bull joined the group but was more interested in the furthest cow and licking the source of his latent lust. The Lord and Ladies of the realm from 15-25 yards.

After about 5 minutes, the wind subtly began to swirl around and my knees began to shake in their semi-squat as I made cozy-like with a Christmas tree. First, one cow abruptly lifted her head to sample the wind and bounced sideways, uncertain of which way to flee. All of them tensed, and the bull threw back his headgear as he dove into the thick stuff. Cows and their calves ran up, down and sideways from the scene. I had to laugh at the sudden chaos and flying snow. The whole experience again confirming the priority of their defenses, and all the while leaving me a humble and thankful admirer....

While not a remote sheep hunt, I also have an appreciation of being in places where there are no other boot tracks, and the wonder of such wild places can be savored for what they stir inside. Thank you again for taking us along....

Attachments
Elk1.JPG

Elk2.JPG

#942886 - 11/07/15 07:49 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Awesome encounter Driftin' Thanks for sharing and it sounds (and looks) like a magical day to be in the hills. Getting close to and sharing company with these critters is a phenomenal experience alone, not to mention having something to show for the effort after the fact.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#943044 - 11/11/15 01:56 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Damn Coley, I wished you'd carried a cigarette pack size digital like the LX7 with you. The photos and story are fantastic. And what a lifetime memory. I don't think it would fit a 20 page photo book, but Artisan has a $5.00 book offer for first time users that keeps coming up on Facebook. There is a $5.00 shipping fee as well. If you could do it it would be really something to share with your grandkids and possibly even great grand kids.

I don't hunt anymore as it interferes with fishing and I'm even slowing down on that.

I am so glad I read Reefskunks post and saw the mention of your hunting post.

#943635 - 11/19/15 03:54 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I'm not a hunter, but I like a good story. And that's a great account of a great experience. Seems like there are alot of hunting magazines who would pay top $$'s for what you wrote. Get a good editor, write it up, and see who might be willing to publish it. The only thing missing is a good pic of the entire animal. The rest of the article is tailor-made for a hunting mag. Good luck.

#943637 - 11/19/15 04:45 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Have to agree w/ cohoangler.

Might be a nice second income for you Coley, your better than 95% of the professional writers I read.

Check out https://www.riflemagazine.com/home/index.cfm

pull up the pdf on Successful Hunter magazine.

Wolfe publishing is about the cream of the crop IMO.

c/22

#943700 - 11/20/15 11:23 PM Re: In The Hall of The Mountain King - AK Dall Sheep [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Again many thanks for the kind words. One day I will get around to submitting something for consideration somewhere, but for now it's just therapy for me and a chance to share an experience with a few who might be interested or appreciate it.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 321 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |