Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94279 - 08/29/00 12:16 AM Re: Elk Hunting
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Osprey,

I have been driven all the neighbor dogs crazy the last few days with the new bugle. I even toot on it while making that boring drive from Tacoma.

As for the release with no sites or pins. I know you don't see it much but I won't use them pins or anything like that. I have never seen an elk with a yard marker on it so to me it's a waste. I can't tell yardage that close to save my life. with me it's let her fly when it feels right. But I had to go to the release because I couldn't get the arrows to fly right. the short axle with the bows they make now are impossble to shoot fingers or tab. so I had to step up to a release. I found one called a Rollaid. it uses little rollers so there is no string damage. I really like it. it is a stiff one that always is in my palm when I need it.

well gotta go I 'll send ya a update of how we do whenI get back.

good luck to ya'll

dcrzfitter

#94280 - 09/11/00 11:10 PM Re: Elk Hunting
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
Alright you string slinger's, where are the report's of all the meat dropped during the big hunt?

I told everyone of you guy's you had to thread a report on you big trip out into the woods and tell us the real truth.

So now is the time and here is the place, fess up, good, bad or just ugly!!!

------------------
elmtree (woody)

#94281 - 09/12/00 10:44 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Ok Woody here's my report ,1 of my partners got a nice cow opening morning,I manged to bugle in a legal Bull 4x4 to with in less than a hundred yards ,I had been watching him all morning from a cross the draw got him to commit to my call ,it was really thick and brushy so I couldn't stalk to him much closer,when he finally came over to my side,the little SOB managed to get above and then .... the wind changed game over!
I feel it was early in the rut not a lot of bugleing going on ,hopefully the change in weather will start things rolling,I did pass on several cows..1 less than 10 yards...Oh well I'm far from being done
Crazy whats up with you???
All in all we had a great time in the woods,thats what counts

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

#94282 - 09/12/00 04:36 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Spurdog Offline
Fry

Loc: 'bout a mile from the saltchuc...
Well we had a great hunt but no meat. Had about 10 encounters, about half of the "thundering herd" variety. Where I hunt it's tough to pattern these critters, although we got them figured out on day 4. I was with my 13 year old son, who's not quite good enough to carry his bow yet. The ONLY time we separated was when he sat tight for 15 minutes while I was trying to move downwind of a herd. That's when a calf decided to move right to him and just stand there quartering away at 10 yards. Yes, If I had been there, he would have taken an arrow. We were backpack hunting in wilderness, and those little calf quarters shure do pack easier! If not for some neck surgery I would have gone back by myself now that he is in school. Still looking for my first archery elk.

#94283 - 09/13/00 11:43 AM Re: Elk Hunting
sockeye Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent,WA U.S.A.
I am a new poster to this board although I have been reading it for sometime now. Has anyone ever taken any big game with a .44 mag revolver and if you did what kind of bullet did you use? (weight,powder,etc) Thanks

------------------
Sockeye

#94284 - 09/13/00 07:05 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Hey Sockeye, I have a Ruger SuperRedhawk in .44. I use the Federal Premium Hunting rounds. They are a 300 grain cast core round. Somewhere in the 800 foot pound range for energy at 100 yards. Have not shot anything with it yet, but DANG! the sucker really kicks good. I have had nothing but good luck with the Federal rounds. Both in rifle and pistol.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#94285 - 09/13/00 08:54 PM Re: Elk Hunting
DavH12 Offline
Egg

Anybody been in the Rimrock area yet? I heard the bulls are really bugling but ive yet to make a trip.

#94286 - 09/14/00 12:12 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
I hunted rimrock on Sat. the bulls were still quiet. We talked to some guys who had up on the crest trail the day before and the bulls up high were screaming pretty good. There has been a lot of pressure around rimrock, so I wouldn't expect them to be too talkative until after the archery elk season is done for a few days.
I should have had mine on sat. though, but being at full draw (72 lb. peak) for 2.5 minutes was too much. Haircut over the shoulder...... next time.

#94287 - 09/14/00 06:52 AM Re: Elk Hunting
sockeye Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent,WA U.S.A.
Hey Big Jim; I too have a superedhawk .44 mag. I load my own ammo. I loaded some 240gr lead core speer bullets that reach 1450feet per sec. An older guy at sportco who has been reloading for years told me high volicity was important. I looked in the hunt regs and they recomend a 290gr bullet or larger for elk so I may have to move up to that. Of course when ever you move up in bullet weight you also move down in volicity. I'll use the smaller loads for deer and bear. Do you have a scope on your redhawk? I've just got open sights. Happy Huntin!!

------------------
Sockeye

#94288 - 09/14/00 09:27 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
No scope yet. I'm looking at a Simmons 4x though. I may not put it on the .44. I will be getting the .454 Casull hopefully very soon. Now that Ruger has it in the SuperRedhawk. That is a SERIOUS pistol. My hands shake just thinking about it. Kinda like those guys who shake with the bull running in on their call I bet.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#94289 - 09/14/00 12:09 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Big Jim,how did you know I was shaking
I love that rush you get from a Bugling Bull
YAAABABY
I also shoot a 44 mag mines the super blackhawk my partner loads his own for me, we prefer the smaller weight bullets ,I don't think the animal can tell the difference between the 240 grn and the 290 grn ,in my opinion the 240 is a more accurate cartridge as long as you use quality bullets...tight groups and slow Elk

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

#94290 - 09/14/00 12:20 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sumner Wa.
Hunted the Yakima area opening day, same thing this year like every year the crackers started tooting thier bugles first thing opening morning(tip for you guys the elk in the goose prairie area have been call shy for the last 13 plus years)so by the second day the elk were nocturnal so you had to really bust the brush, about midweek went to the high country in the Mesatchee, could catch em on the edges at first light but was never on the right trail. Only heard two elk bugle on the last weekend in the high country and that was before the sun came up and they still hadn't really herded up by then.Sure miss th Oct.1st opener.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1043 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |