Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#943225 - 11/14/15 10:14 AM WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
WDFW is currently seeking nominations for a 20 person advisory group regarding Puget Sound sport fishing.

Any PPers active members or have been in the past?

#943229 - 11/14/15 11:13 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I am a member of the Puget Sound Sport Fish advisory group. I am also the chair of the Enforcement Advisory Group.

#943349 - 11/15/15 06:15 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Not sure when WDFW upgraded their website but they now have a page listing advisory groups/committees:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/

For each of the listed entities there is a link to a page describing the group, its meeting records, and a list of current members.

That said, there is no listing for the Puget Sound Sport Fish Advisory Group. Nothing about the page being a work in progress.

What other groups/committees are there that need to be listed? And why aren't they on that page?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#943375 - 11/16/15 08:30 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Took all of about 5 seconds...

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/psrfef/

Enjoy!

#943379 - 11/16/15 09:42 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

PSRFE is legislatively mandated to provide guidance on what used to be the salmon stamp/blackmouth program. The PSRFE responsibilities are covered in RCW 77.105

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.105

The Puget Sound Sport Fish Advisory group advises the Dept primarily on issues relating to the Puget Sound salmon fisheries. A link will be added in the near future, I hope.

#943380 - 11/16/15 09:48 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: supcoop
WDFW is currently seeking nominations for a 20 person advisory group regarding Puget Sound sport fishing.

Any PPers active members or have been in the past?

I think about half of the group members are frequent PP'ers, including myself.

#943385 - 11/16/15 10:37 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: JustBecause]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: JustBecause
Took all of about 5 seconds...

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/psrfef/

Enjoy!

As Bushbear has confirmed the PSRFEF is a different group as determined before I posted.

And while I am on the subject I will opine that any dedicated account in existence or contemplated needs to have legislatively mandated citizen oversight via an advisory group/committee plus more stringent direction as to how dedicated funds may be spent - not just types of expenditures but some limitations on the percentages such that not all monies are spent on only one of the approved activities.

#943389 - 11/16/15 11:06 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

....and percentages aren't skimmed off the top of the dedicated funds to fund other portions of government oversight of the funds.....

#943391 - 11/16/15 11:23 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: bushbear
....and percentages aren't skimmed off the top of the dedicated funds to fund other portions of government oversight of the funds.....

Or charge their 12% and provide no tangible benefit.....

#943394 - 11/16/15 11:36 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Larry, are you sure WDFW's skim is only 12%? I have checked and I can get genetic samples run by them for $50 a pop or elsewhere for $10.

#943397 - 11/16/15 11:46 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Larry, are you sure WDFW's skim is only 12%? I have checked and I can get genetic samples run by them for $50 a pop or elsewhere for $10.

I was referring to the State agency that sucks a sizeable chunk (I think the 12% is accurate) - not what WDFW may use for administrative functions which may or may not be allowed depending on the language in the authorizing legislation. Bushbear may have more details at his finger tips. BB??

#943402 - 11/16/15 12:05 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

And since we are on the topic of advisory groups each of their meetings should have minutes produced and approved by the group with a copy going to the Commission. There have been instances where dialog/recommendations from the group's citizen members haven't made it into the subsequent report to the Commission having gone through one or more layers of Staff "adjustments."

#943409 - 11/16/15 12:50 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
River Nutrients

In my experience, as a taker of minutes at meeting, is that WDFW prefers not to have written minutes (ask Rivrguy) as an historical record just seems to create problems when looks back at was said, agreed-to, or committed to.

#943413 - 11/16/15 12:53 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

In my experience, as a taker of minutes at meeting, is that WDFW prefers not to have written minutes (ask Rivrguy) as an historical record just seems to create problems when looks back at was said, agreed-to, or committed to.

You wouldn't be implying an integrity problem would you? Nah....

#943432 - 11/16/15 03:44 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
River Nutrients

Nah, nothing like that.

#943449 - 11/16/15 08:42 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: Larry B]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

As I recall, the amount can vary between 10% and 15% give or take. The bottom line is that it comes off the top and reduces the amount available for the program.

I'd like to think that the folks running the program have a basic understanding of budgets and can do their own book-keeping without having to fund another arm of state government to "administer" the funds.

#943465 - 11/17/15 09:18 AM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: bushbear
As I recall, the amount can vary between 10% and 15% give or take. The bottom line is that it comes off the top and reduces the amount available for the program.

I'd like to think that the folks running the program have a basic understanding of budgets and can do their own book-keeping without having to fund another arm of state government to "administer" the funds.

One might want to ask one's legislators exactly what service that budget group performs on a dedicated account like the Puget Sound crab endorsement fund. If that fund collects roughly $2 million/year that means about $250K goes to the budget folks. And for what? To the best of my knowledge they don't audit those accounts nor generate an audit report (that would be the SAO).

And then there are the CR endorsement fund and the PS recreational fishing enhancement fund (formerly blackmouth stamp) with the same losses.

It would seem that the advisory group oversight alone should be sufficient, less costly, and provide stakeholders with a more credible result.

#943477 - 11/17/15 12:14 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: supcoop]
River Nutrients

Those overhead funds are sucked out by WDFW for administration.

#943496 - 11/17/15 01:58 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Written minutes and recording a meeting are avoided if possible. Now we got the minutes going but lord the trauma when they were recorded then transcribed to print. Bottom line is the agency has always tried to not get meetings minutes or whatever other than to sanitize them to the point of not being recognizable. CM did some once for the locals working with the agency when he was staff ( did many in reality ) and he tried to capture it without getting his rear in a sling. Agency speak was " a spirted conversation took place " CM chose instead to go forth with something similar to " d--- & others expressed extreme dissatisfaction .... loudly " Same issue just one is sanitized.

#943499 - 11/17/15 02:14 PM Re: WDFW Puget Sound sport fishing advisory group [Re: Carcassman]
geljockey Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA

Just out of curiosity, who can run samples for $10 a pop? You can answer in a pm if you wish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |