Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#943642 - 11/19/15 06:18 PM U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Well, it happened. Not only did they approve it for sale in the U.S., producers will not be required to label it as G.M.O. so consumers will not be given the ability to know where their food comes from and how it is produced. Choice is NOT something the Govt. wants you to have. Typical of the clusterf*** that the F.D.A. has always been. Bob R

#943657 - 11/20/15 12:33 AM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: bob r]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

This genetic engineering CAN be taken to extremes. All in the name of better "yields". [Bleeeeep!] anyone remember these Frankenfish created in 2010?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...ed-modified-gm/

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#943662 - 11/20/15 06:56 AM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: bob r]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Ever taken a close look at any hatchery broodstock rainbow? Then's ugly.

I believe that the GMO fish are Atlantics. The consumer can simply not buy Atlantics of any stripe.

#943666 - 11/20/15 08:03 AM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: bob r]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
They look delicious! I got dibs on the hump!

#943670 - 11/20/15 10:48 AM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: bob r]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Is that a hump or a lump? Yuk! Bob R

#943676 - 11/20/15 12:46 PM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: bob r]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

There's a lot to like about the way they propose to farm these fish, compared to the current practices. Doesn't mean I'll eat 'em....

There's no proof that GMOs pose any new dangers to people who eat them, but it seems to me like the more of that stuff hits the market, the more people you meet with weird food allergies. I had someone tell me yesterday that a popular, emerging culprit for the increase in cancer, etc. is light pollution, particularly from night lights. As I sit and stare at my smart phone screen, I sure hope that's not it....

Whether we like it or not, it seems inevitable that GMO is the future of food. There's simply too many people to feed the old-fashioned way. Can we just skip the freaky-looking fish and go straight to the part when we can order surf 'n turf from a computer and have it digitally printed before our eyes?

#943677 - 11/20/15 12:59 PM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: bob r]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
It looks like that poor animal is covered in abscesses or tumors. I imagine if one were to actually cut into those blobs, all sorts of nasty fluid would spew forth.

Perhaps that's flavoring.....

Again, to quote Dr. Ian Malcolm: "Yeah, yeah. But your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, no one ever stopped to think if they should."

#943689 - 11/20/15 04:27 PM Re: U.S.D.A. approves genetically modified salmon [Re: TanTastic84]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Years back, a co-worker had bought 4 farm-raised atlantic salmon fillets from a popular discount chain and asked me if I'd smoke them for her? Though I was leery, I obliged because she is a good friend and I didn't have the heart to tell her she had just shelled out big bucks for crap.

Despite my best efforts to produce a decent product, it came out as some of the most vile, nasty stuff I've ever been around. It actually left an odor on my well-seasoned smoker which pissed me off.

Thanks, but I'll stick to eating what I catch.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 944 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |