Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#943877 - 11/24/15 04:57 PM Saving saltwater fishing jobs
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Pulled this off "The Fishing Wire" this afternoon. Something to keep in mind when talking to WDFW staff, Commissioners, and state and federal legislators when the issue of recreational saltwater fishing comes up......add in freshwater jobs and the numbers increase...

With 455,000 jobs at stake, a seasick meat-eater ought to support marine recreational fishing legislation

Recreational saltwater fishing ought to matter to every Member of Congress, even the ones that are allergic to seafood, live far from the ocean and reach for Dramamine at just the thought of getting onboard a boat.

That's because, when Congressmen and Senators vote on issues like red snapper reform and modernization of the Magnuson-Stevens Act, nearly a half-million jobs are at stake.

Let that sink in for a moment: 455,000 American jobs depend on recreational saltwater fishing.

We say "jobs" nowadays -- but we ought to say "families." That's because when an individual loses a job, a whole family suffers.

Last week, we began a new feature series of articles that will introduce you to some of those jobs. At King Plastic of North Port, Florida, 145 families depend on recreational fishing -- whether any of them ever go fishing or not (sadly, even in North Port, Florida, there are some who will never experience the excitement of a catch at sea).

These are good U.S. manufacturing jobs, in a safe, clean, well-run, family-owned facility. One worker, Jean Vales, had just celebrated his 20th year with the company.

Our Congressmen and Senators will be going home this week, and they need to know about those jobs.

You may run into your Representatives and Senators at the grocery store, church, or community event.

If you do, tell them that you fish, and you vote -- and then be sure to remind them of the nearly half-million American families whose livelihoods depend on recreational fishing.

###

Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

Jeff Angers
Center for Coastal Conservation

Edited by bushbear (11/24/15 04:58 PM)

#943956 - 11/26/15 10:42 AM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: bushbear]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Saltwater anglers nationwide were a $103 billion industry in 2011. The break down was more than 11 million saltwater anglers took over 70 million fishing trips generating $56 billion in sales impacts, $29 billion in value-added impacts, $18 billion in income impacts according to NOAA.

That sure beats the multibillion-dollar welfare state over the years of US commercial fishing fleets. A 2009 study explains state and federal subsidies and government support to the U. S. fishing industry is upwards to $1.83 billion per year of which the salmon piece of the pie equates to $200.6 million of which approx.44% is fuel subsidies.

So, they chase salmon all over the ocean instead of waiting for the salmon to return back to their individual terminal areas, attributing to additional cost and environmental footprint. The salmon caught in the ocean are at a fraction of their terminal-area-size and weight while fishing over ESA listed stocks. rolleyes

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#943979 - 11/27/15 10:58 AM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: bushbear]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

By now, Congress must be aware that there is a LOT more economic benifit to sport fishibg vs. Commercial. I think the problem is twofold: first, that the jobs and livelihoods argument works both ways, and second, that congessional campaigns benefit more from commercial lobbying than recreational. The economic value of commercial fishing may be a lot less, but it's far from insignificant. I think it's safe to say that both are examples of industries that are "too big to fail." If we sporties really want to gain ground in this deal, we're going to have to start out-contributing the commercials. That sounds difficult, but the reality is that we could easily do it if we could get organized in support of the same agenda. Oops. I guess that's a third problem....

#943980 - 11/27/15 12:11 PM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: bushbear]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Politicians don't really care about jobs they just pretend to care. What they truly care about is money. If 1 "job" paid more to their coffer than 1,000,000 "jobs" you can bet your as.s they'd be yelling about how they just created another job.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#943992 - 11/27/15 07:43 PM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: RowVsWade]
Chetco Offline
Smolt

Loc: OR
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true. Old guy sport fisherman

#944007 - 11/28/15 11:37 AM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: bushbear]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Through hard work by many in organizations at the federal level, just ignoring state for the time being, congress has passed many laws for the benefit of not just the commercials but recreational sport fishing industry as well.

It is an arena where commercials reigned and the tide is changing.

In the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act of 2006, the act itself is to provide for the conservation and management of the fisheries while calling for the best scientific information available to manage U.S. commercial and recreational fisheries. NOAA tasked by Congress to prevent overfishing and promote management strategies just to name a few, is why so much information pertaining to fish data (A-Z) is available on the NOAA web site regarding both industries.

Recent case law and CFR’s have begun to refer to sport anglers as an industry and rightly so considering the 100’s of billions of dollars generated each year by salt and fresh water anglers in the United States.

NOAA seems to be in a difficult situation with the ESA listed salmon in the PNW. When NOAA puts a particular salmon stock on an ESA listing, they are required to create a management plan to restore that stock.

It is easy to understand the need for the viability of commercial fisheries, especially the ground fisheries among others supplying food for world consumption but the extra level of an ocean commercial salmon fishery just is not necessary. The Washington coast fleet is a mere fraction of what it used to be because of less salmon enacting government subsidies--buyouts. The same salmon caught in the ocean would be caught at their individual terminal area anyway still going to market as usual. The end result would be larger salmon than ocean caught feeding salmon equaling less waste and more bang for the buck from hatchery salmon $$, less fuel, and less fishing over the ESA mixed stocks in the ocean for better management.

#944008 - 11/28/15 01:31 PM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: Lucky Louie]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
Saltwater anglers nationwide were a $103 billion industry in 2011. The break down was more than 11 million saltwater anglers took over 70 million fishing trips generating $56 billion in sales impacts, $29 billion in value-added impacts, $18 billion in income impacts according to NOAA.

That sure beats the multibillion-dollar welfare state over the years of US commercial fishing fleets. A 2009 study explains state and federal subsidies and government support to the U. S. fishing industry is upwards to $1.83 billion per year of which the salmon piece of the pie equates to $200.6 million of which approx.44% is fuel subsidies.

So, they chase salmon all over the ocean instead of waiting for the salmon to return back to their individual terminal areas, attributing to additional cost and environmental footprint. The salmon caught in the ocean are at a fraction of their terminal-area-size and weight while fishing over ESA listed stocks. rolleyes

I don't think your numbers are correct but maybe I misinterpreted what I read: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/mediacenter/2013/03/07_noaa_report_finds_commercial_and_recreational.html

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#944010 - 11/28/15 02:56 PM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy

I don't think your numbers are correct but maybe I misinterpreted what I read: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/mediacenter/2013/03/07_noaa_report_finds_commercial_and_recreational.html

Jason,

I have seen a handful of NOAA reports including the one you supplied that bounce around impacts and job numbers for the very same year.

The $103 Billion that I quoted came from the Angler Expenditures and Economic Impact Assessments from NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-F/SPO-134 September 2013

“Marine recreational fishing in the United States generated $56 billion in output (sales impacts), $29 billion to the nation’s gross domestic product, and $18 billion in income.”

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/Assets/econo...ates%202011.pdf

#944035 - 11/29/15 01:25 PM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: bushbear]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Louie, when they say angler does that include commercials?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#944073 - 11/30/15 07:45 AM Re: Saving saltwater fishing jobs [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy
Louie, when they say angler does that include commercials?

Marine recreational fishing in the United States generated $56 billion in output (sales impacts), $29 billion to the nation’s gross domestic product, and $18 billion in income.”

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/Assets/econo...ates%202011.pdf

If you have some time, a suggestion would be to click on the link and read the abstract and/or introduction for your answer if the direct quote supplied earlier wasn’t any help. Keep on reading and hopefully it should answer any other questions you might have.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, Carcassman), 1060 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645301 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |