THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#944260 - 12/03/15 03:02 PM That one that stood out this season?
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
This doesn't really have to be about ONE fish, or any fish, just a day in particular that will stay with you.

I had the opportunity to have a couple "work days" on the river with my boss this season. One in particular stands out, and will be a day I won't ever forget.
We had high hopes of easy limits on our way to the river, only to show up to a full put-in teaming with trailers and guide boats launching. #%$%@!!!!! Should we just bag it we thought?
Nah, we're here lets see what damage we can do, we thought. Launch the boat, get moving down river to the first hole, NOPE, full, keep moving...
This went on until well into the afternoon having to pass up primo spot one after another, so frustrating...middle of the week too doesn't anyone work anymore? wink

Did well on steel, easily putting up double digit numbers. Then FINALLY with two holes left we found some water in between the two spots that often gets over looked, so we let the plugs out. about three strokes into it on the oars, SLAMMMOOO!!! My rod fold over with purpose, I could tell it was a big'un when i couldn't move it for a good ten minutes or so.. he just hunkered down on the bottom after trying his best to inhale my favorite 4.5 maglip covered in battle scars and little paint.

Row up river and fight him, row down river and fight him...on and on it goes. Finally get him to the boat and in the net and you'd have thought I won the lottery.

High fives and a few beers later, My biggest Nook of my life goes in the box and he is in PRIME shape. My arms were sore my hands were burning and locking up and I couldn't be happier!

We go on to bonk our limit from their out of the same hole one after another wrapping up our day with limits of steel and kings.

This fish stood out for me and my season this fall/summer.
What was yours?

Sorry for the kind of crappy pic, Im keeping the good ones to myself.

Edited by Yak-Fresh (12/03/15 03:14 PM)

#944262 - 12/03/15 03:09 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

And a bonus steelhead pic caus its been so slow round here for a bit
Loving these older IM7's for pulling 3.5's with 10lb. mono wink

Edited by Yak-Fresh (12/03/15 03:10 PM)

#944263 - 12/03/15 03:15 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

Nice fish! That probably almost doubles my biggest king. It hasn't been a very memorable year for me, but I did catch a really nice (if not very large) king aboard the FV eyeFISH early in the season.

#944266 - 12/03/15 04:07 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
REALLY nice fish!

I use that same rod holder when taking fish pics. wink

#944279 - 12/03/15 09:38 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

I use that same rod holder when taking fish pics. wink

You mean when posing for fish pics.

Proper rod placement in the set up is key!

Keep that reel wet and sandy.

Miss you brother. It's been too long.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#944280 - 12/04/15 01:52 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

If I had to choose JUST one, it would have to be this supercharged URB my youngest daughter caught off Tongue Point on Aug 25.

This fish gave LMWS an absolute a$$-whoopin' like no fish we've EVER caught in the estuary. It took three separate 75+ yard runs, doubling back toward the boat at warp speed after each one. The way line was leaving the reel, we about had ourselves convinced several times that a sea lion must have grabbed it, but each time this happened, we could see the chrome king was sprinting just barely sub-surface, splitting the water with its wide purple back. Never seen so much slack superline on the surface as during that hectic battle! Never been so nervous about an expeditious netshot as there WERE a lot of marauding sea lions in the area that morning. Never seen LMWS so elated to see one of her fish finally end up in the bag! (Yeah... she was pretty dam excited about that one.) And it was pretty cool to witness our neighbors in that mega-fleet of boats cheering her on.

Pics can tell the story WAY better than words....

OMFG, pinch me.... did I really just land this friggin' fish ! ?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944289 - 12/04/15 08:17 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: eyeFISH]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Outstanding Doc thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#944293 - 12/04/15 09:14 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
This one was memorable, pick Olivia up from school, get boat, drive to river, drive up river, hand her her pink rod, grab my rod to start casting and turn around to see her reeling like mad on this fish.

#944300 - 12/04/15 12:36 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Awesome Doc!

On the subject of "the one," my catalog of events, memories made, and images from the summer is unfortunately pretty small. This was probably my least fishinest year in the last decade without question.

That having been said there were a few memorable outings. I'll share a bit from a few different ways of looking at "the one that stood out."

1. The best day of fishing
2. Best trip
3. And best fish

The most enjoyable day of fishing I had this summer was a trip where I took a friends visiting nieces and my daughter out to pull plugs for silvers. We wound up releasing a bunch of chums & pinks and boating a limit of silvers for the girls. The girls were a lot of fun and had a great time. My kiddo had a blast being along for the action and on the boat ride home my guests Dad raced us downriver in his helicopter which of course made the kids go nuts. Yes, that is a smile.

The most memorable trip from the summer was one I had done before, a local fly out and float down mission that starts at a small lake. From there you have to bushwack for a few hours down to a small creek and spend a few days floating back to town. Untouched water full of rainbows with two of my best buds.

Finally, the most memorable fish wasn't so much memorable for being a sizable or beautiful fish, but it was novel because I've never seen a king eat a skated mouse pattern before.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#944329 - 12/04/15 09:42 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Lol at the mouse King. I had one eat a float a couple of years ago that then flossed itself onto bead before coming unglued.

Wowzers on that mouse-eating rainbow!

I can relate to not fishing as much. Despite getting a lot of time in the salt and having a good king season, I spent less time on rivers in the last year than in the last 20. I miss it, along with all the people and times that go with it.

As far as fish, for me, the ones that stand out this year are all things practically at my backdoor. That, in itself, is meaningful to me. I can't compete with the photos but here are a couple of memorable fish:

#944331 - 12/04/15 10:47 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: ColeyG]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

Finally, the most memorable fish wasn't so much memorable for being a sizable or beautiful fish, but it was novel because I've never seen a king eat a skated mouse pattern before.

Well you just killed THE cardinal fNp rule of king fishing.... ALL the biters are on the bottom, don'cha know?

Obviously that li'l jack didn't give a fuk about any dam Ornamental roolz.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944332 - 12/04/15 11:06 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

When it boiled on the mouse, inhaled it and ran I thought I had a legend of a rainbow. I didn't know what it was until I beached it but I knew something wasn't quite right in the fight. Fish do the darndest things.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#944334 - 12/05/15 01:02 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I hooked...and then lost about two minutes later...a rather large and pissed off spring Chinook on the Wenatchee River right near the Tumwater Campground on a skated caddis.

It attacked that fly like a starving fat kid on a donut, took about 50 yards of backing in about 20 seconds, jumped a couple of times, and broke off my tippet.

If it weren't for the two steelhead I had already landed on the same fly I'd have been rather disappointed wink

This was in...oh, 1985? 86? Not long before it was closed, in any event.

Stood out this year? Hmmm...

No particularly fantastic steelhead, unfortunately...I hope I'm not getting jaded to how fabulous each one is.

Coho season on my local rivers was over before it started.

Did a lot of early season saltwater fishing, and while we consistently boated limits of halibut, rockfish, lingcod, kings and cohos...and then a few humpies a little later in the summer...no single fish really stands out of the multitudes.

Caught and released a 25#+ unclipped Chinook at Astoria that was kind of a clusterf*#k...reel came out of the reel seat, and I still landed it with Rico holding the rod while I spun the reel. It had closed to wild Chinook retention the day before, so no pics of that one wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#944336 - 12/05/15 05:17 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
No pics. Had a rather ho-hum beach coho season . Had one day that was good-- landed seven and hooked and lost another 10 or so.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#944337 - 12/05/15 07:07 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Nothing really spectacular for me.
Biggest beach coho was only 7.5 this summer. Lots of dinks this year.
Finally busted the 20" mark on saltwater searun cutthroat after many years of trying.
SF

#944353 - 12/05/15 01:40 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: stonefish]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: stonefish

Finally busted the 20" mark on saltwater searun cutthroat after many years of trying.
SF

Beauty SRC, stony

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944354 - 12/05/15 01:56 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Awesome cutty.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#944359 - 12/05/15 03:03 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
this I was certain was a hog silver. had the typical white gumline of a silver. it also looks like a king. I released it. it's the only fish that I think is a cross breed. any opinions?

#944360 - 12/05/15 03:10 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

100% chinook

The tiny black islands from which the teeth emerge on the light gum line = king.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944364 - 12/05/15 04:53 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I can't say this was a stellar year, but, I, when I did get out, caught a variety of fish. Big trout in a urban lake, coho on a fly, coho out of Sekui, a nice king out of La Push.

I think the best part is I tried a couple different fisheries.

Probably the most memorable was Brad and I stopping in Sekui planning on looking for a area to fly fish for Coho. Instead we rented a boat and fished the straits, kind of under gunned for the gear we used. It's amazing the abuse a Rainshadow 1082 can take with a medium Deep 6 plowing down into the deep with flasher and hoochie. We limited out that day, and brought both rods home to fish another day.

Fun summer for sure.

#944368 - 12/05/15 08:01 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: SRoffe]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I will have one to add to this thread in late July 2016.

#944477 - 12/07/15 09:46 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: fish4brains]
JesseM Offline
Smolt

Originally Posted By: fish4brains

I hope so!

#944478 - 12/07/15 10:02 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
JesseM Offline
Smolt

This fall has been dismal as we all know. Although I enjoyed a great few days at B10 and pulled on several kings in our local early fall fishery, the slow coho run was a disappointment. Personally, I've been dealing with some tough times on the home front. Just recently have I been able to see the future in a positive light. Ironically I had a day that is "the one that stood out" over the last year.

On this particular day one of my closest friends and I set out to find solitude due to the recent events, with the slightest of hopes to find the first winter steelhead of the season. The solitude was not an issue... and to our amazement neither was finding the steelhead. Unfortunately neither of us had a descent camera with us. Not to mention that we were too caught up in the excitement to even think to take pictures. We did however manage to snap a few...

At the end of the day we released 3 kings, 1 wild steelhead, several dollys, bonked 2 clipped steelhead, and lost 3 others. Well beyond our expectations making for the one that stood out this season.

Just hope that that day is a sign of things to come...

Edited by JesseM (12/07/15 10:05 PM)

#944488 - 12/08/15 10:50 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The one that should have stood out should have been one of the summer steelhead that rose to a skated Muddler because I don't use that technique often. But it wasn't. It was the largest URB I caught at B-10 this year. And not because it was large. It was because of how many things went wrong, and still landed the darn thing. Shortly after the hook up I saw a sea lion not too far away, but the more immediate worry was the trawler cruising up river straight toward me. My boat was well out of the nav channel, so I thought the skipper was just messing with the little sport boat. I waved at him, and he veered just far enough to avoid a collision, but I thought he would run over my line and break off my salmon. However, the chinook ran more down than out because, as I discovered, the braided line had wedged itself into the line one the reel spool and came to a not so screeching halt at about 60 or 70' of line out. The fish ran to the line limit two or three times before I got him close to the boat, at which time I realized my fishing partner hadn't cleared his line from the water. Remember that trawler that was bearing down on us? Seems that caused my friend to be distracted from his task of clearing his line. So naturally my chinook tangled with my partner's line. Yet somehow, with just a bit of care, I got it close enough for my partner, while still holding his rod in one hand, and the 6' long handled net in the other, to net the king, and we lifted him aboard. 27 pounds of good eatin' URB. I guess some things are just meant to happen.

#944496 - 12/08/15 12:09 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Salmo g.]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Steve, I believe the URB you caught on the F/V eyeFISH on the first day ended being URB of the season for us down there this year as well

What I've failed to realize after all these years is just how tall you REALLY are.... or mebbe I just have these ridiculous delusions of grandeur about my Ornamental stature.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944504 - 12/08/15 01:57 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
BroodBuster Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Bothell, Wa
I caught a 15" rainbow on the west fork Foss. Fought harder than any hatchery steelhead I've ever caught.

Unfortunately I think that is my fishing future frown. Oh well. I'm sure my drifter will make a fine planter box some day.

"The trouble with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money." Margaret Thatcher.

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." Adolf Hitler

#944512 - 12/08/15 03:31 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
guidesak Offline
Parr

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Wow, I live in Alaska but those steelhead pictures make me insanely jealous!

2015 has been the best year ever. Not so much due to the fish, but gaining my ten year old son as a bonafide fishing partner. Working on my 2015 highlights now but still have a few weeks left. Picking the best moment is tough. My son caught his first king salmon ever...off a kayak no less. But I guess I'd choose this moment as the 2015 highlight.

The video:
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIynGwbuLvw[/video]

Edited by guidesak (12/08/15 03:39 PM)
www.youtube.com/guidesak

#944529 - 12/08/15 08:17 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Heart-pumpin' video right there, Rudy!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944531 - 12/08/15 09:02 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Not your average Puget Sound summer run.... not to mention his first steelhead, on a Rvrfshr spinner too. Best friend of 25 years decided he wanted to get back into fishing and follow in the footsteps of my passion of catching steelhead on the swing

#944534 - 12/08/15 09:43 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: guidesak]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: guidesak

eyyy...I recognize that guy! I love that your son is as into fishing as you.
Now that is a TRULY epic fishing day!

Here's my big fish from this year:

Edited by Chasin' Baitman (12/08/15 09:51 PM)

#944556 - 12/09/15 09:20 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Almost forgot this meat truck!

#944561 - 12/09/15 09:42 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Piper
Unregistered

This one is mine...

It stands out because we were fishing for coho in the kelp in 10' of water, using a 7' trout rod and spinning reel loaded with 8# main and leaders. The combination of light rod, 6' leaders and 4' net handle made this a beast to get in the boat.

then there is this one, just because it's a beautiful fish:

#944568 - 12/09/15 12:49 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Trips are starting to mean a whole lot more to me that any one particular fish......

I went on a great trip to Barkley Sound in July with Cowardly Lion, we scored offshore:

and inshore on sockeye, which had been quite a number of years since our stars had aligned on that fishery:

If there was one particular fish, it had to be this 29-lb toona that kicked my arse.....thanks to Bucket for inviting me along with Coleman's peeps, what a stellar day on the Big Blue:

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#944740 - 12/12/15 10:35 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Nice fish! That probably almost doubles my biggest king. It hasn't been a very memorable year for me, but I did catch a really nice (if not very large) king aboard the FV eyeFISH early in the season.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#944746 - 12/12/15 01:17 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

ONE more on behalf of f4b....

This was the PRIME eater of the season.... trip ended with the perfect black-faced upriver springer to close out the season on a GLORY day of springer fishing in the lower CR with Capt CCW.

WOO HOO!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#992174 - 08/10/18 09:38 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: fish4brains]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: fish4brains

I could be wrong, but I believe you owe it to yourself to check out the latest Aug-Sep issue of SSJ currently on display at your local magazine rack.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#992201 - 08/13/18 01:48 AM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1006698 - 04/08/19 04:39 PM Re: That one that stood out this season? [Re: Paul Smenis]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |