Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94439 - 08/16/00 06:17 AM Best waders?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Its time for some new waders again because I burn through a pair a year. I've owned fly techs and bare for the past couple seasons. I like the 5mm bare waders but if they crap out in year how great is that 2 1/2 bills I spill for them? Money really isn't a issue but if there are better, warmer, more comfortable, durable, cheaper waders out there I like some input. Light weights are an option too. But I bust brush regularly.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#94440 - 08/16/00 10:07 AM Re: Best waders?
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
BK as one who also "bust brush" I would suggest that you eliminate the word neoprene from your vocabulary re. wader selection. The breatheables are perfected and the last two years have been the most enjoyable wading summer and winter of my life. I was skeptical to say the least that some thing so frail in appearence could hold up to daily use in the trails of rainforest brush and eastern thickets but they do and if by chance you rip up on something really ugly they patch up easier than the alternative.
As far as warm goes the fact that you are moisture free makes you a lot warmer in the winter also. Trust me I do not own stock in Gore Tex there a private company (I checked into that one). But I am into my third year with breatheables the first were expensive, 350 or more, 2 years ago I bought a pair of Dan Baileys they still after hundreds of days of hiking up and down and across the rivers and lakes of the northwest Read my lips NO LEAKS.

#94441 - 08/16/00 11:34 AM Re: Best waders?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
I have had a pair of simms gore-tex breathables for a year. They are awsome. In the summer they are cool ( shorts underneath ), and in the winter they are warm ( thick fleece pants underneath). Your clothes don't "bunch up"underneath and in addition to not sweating this makes things alot more comfortable. I have been pretty careful with mine, but still have hit some blackberries and such. A few scrapes, that's it.

#94442 - 08/16/00 08:06 PM Re: Best waders?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
BK,

I just got myself a pair of the Hodgman breathables and used them for the first time on the Cowlitz the other day. I really like them and was surprised how comfy they were. I haad a set of neo's and they always made my back hurt after just a few hrs. these are so nice I can walk after a long day of fishing. and as for busting brush I can't help you but I would get some type of breathable's. the Hodgmans are fine for me not really expensive but they do the job. I got mine from Sportco for 89$

hope that helps.

dcrzfitter

#94443 - 08/16/00 11:34 PM Re: Best waders?
J.C.B Offline
Smolt

Loc: Marysville Washington
I also have hodgman breathers. Before the new pair I used their neo's. The new wadelite waders are real comfortable, and easy to get on. I've had them for almost a year, with no problems! The old pairs of neo's are just crap. They ware out fast. I've went through two pairs over the last 8-10 years I've been fishing the rivers. But hodgmen seems to have a better track record that your brand I guess. What ever brand you go with don't toss the old pair out. The neo's are nice insulation if worn inside your gore-tex waders. You'll love the extra warmth in the cold days to come. ; Don't hate participate all trash has a home. P.S Freddy's has them and at around half the price you pay for the pair you own now, or less than that.

[This message has been edited by J.C.B (edited 08-16-2000).]

#94444 - 08/17/00 05:25 PM Re: Best waders?
Flygirl Offline
Alevin

Loc: Woodinville,WA USA
BK,
I dug deep and bought a pair of $imms waders 4 years ago. Spent the first two years treating them with kid gloves. Enough of that so a dozen or so bushwacking trips later (half the time glissading down on my bum) I realized how really tough they were. The only rip I've ever gotten was with a tangle in some barbed wire. EASIEST mend I ever made!

They keep me cool in the heat and warm and dry in the winter and get this---I just jump in and out of them and am on my way while some of my fishing buds are still wrestling with their neos in the bushes! Just don't forget the all-important wading belt!

I believe they were the first Goretex/microfibre waders on the market at the time and I've since noticed several companies that carry them at better prices, as well as models designed specifically for women and children.

Happy hunting and fishing!

Flygirl

#94445 - 08/17/00 05:49 PM Re: Best waders?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I've got the Hodgeman Wadelite IIs ($160). Ditto, the above about how light and comfortable they are compared to neos. I originally bought um after a rare sweltering day in June last year to replace my neos for summer fishing. Fall came along, pulled the neos out again and I discovered a crotch leak that I was too lazy to fix, so I wore the breathables through the winter. As long as I had 3 pairs of socks (1 crew, 2 wool) I had no problems at all.

I'm going on my second summer in them. At the beginning of the summer, I noticed a few leaks and now I've got quite a bit of aquaseal on them, but I think they'll last through another winter (maybe).

All in all, I'd say 2 full years (fishing about 100 days a year) is about all you'll get, and thats probably pretty good for the price.

#94446 - 08/17/00 06:42 PM Re: Best waders?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Luv my cheapo Fly Tech breathables. No more crotch rot.

#94447 - 08/17/00 08:33 PM Re: Best waders?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Thanks for all the input! Bruce are yours the new 4 season fly techs with the 4 different liners. They look good as well as simms. I also like the simms that wear like pants except for when you need to chase that fish of a lifetime around a deeper then waistdeep corner.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#94448 - 08/17/00 08:45 PM Re: Best waders?
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Has any one tried Cabela's goretex or the dry plus waders they sell? Prices look ok. I need a pair also.

#94449 - 08/17/00 10:45 PM Re: Best waders?
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Skyrise,
I've tried both Cabela's GoreTex and Dry Plus II waders and was impressed with both. The DPII's are a little lighter, but still pretty tough, no tears or punctures yet. They are both cut full enough to allow plenty of leg movement and both have double knees with openings at top and bottom for drainage. The first pair of DPII's had a slight leak at the joint of the neoprene foot/leg, but Cabela's replaced it in just a couple of days. It's easy enough to overcome the vapor transfer capability of either one if you're hiking on a hot day or doing much hill climbing, but this is also true of every breathable wader I've tried. But even if you get sweated up a little, you'll eventually dry out. I think my choice would hinge on what you were going to be doing with them. For real brush-busting, I think the slightly heavier outer fabric of the GoreTex version would have the edge, but the DPII's are light and comfortable. Quite honestly, I couldn't tell any appreciable difference in the breathability. Both represent very good value for the money.

#94450 - 08/18/00 04:02 AM Re: Best waders?
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Try Dan Bailey's, 200 plus sold this year and NO returns. Yes, no returns! I doubt Hodgeman can say that.

#94451 - 08/18/00 08:26 AM Re: Best waders?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Hey Skyrise:

I bought the premium top of the line cabelas breathable goretex waders, and love them. No more making gravy in neo's. They do a nice job of standing behind their products. I know they don't have a "wader factory", so I'm curious who makes them for Cabelas. They work great in freezing cold weather (mid teens) with long johns, and a pair of fleece pants. You'll be happy you bought them.

#94452 - 08/18/00 09:10 AM Re: Best waders?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I have a pair of Cabelos breathable waders and I really like them, but salmontackler,
how much are those Dan Bailey`s you sell?
I may have to visit you today before I take for a trip to the river this weekend.

#94453 - 08/18/00 11:15 AM Re: Best waders?
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
hi, how much are the dan baileys, i really need a pair of waders, and where do they sell at? thanks ***schitzo***

#94454 - 08/18/00 11:42 AM Re: Best waders?
HillbillyRedneck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Darrington, WA
I bought a pair of Dan Bailey's at Ted's about a year and a half ago. Wear them about 3 days a week. No problems. Way better than neo. the Best part is they have a built in belt and gravel guards. I think they were about $200.

#94455 - 08/18/00 11:45 AM Re: Best waders?
HillbillyRedneck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Darrington, WA
I bought a pair of Dan Bailey's at Ted's about a year and a half ago. Wear them about 3 days a week. No problems. Way better than neo. the Best part is they have a built in belt and gravel guards. I think they were about $200.

#94456 - 08/18/00 01:15 PM Re: Best waders?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

About my Fly Techs, no they're not the new model with the zip in/out liners. In fact, I'm leery of all the zippers. seems like another place to leak but then again, I haven't seen them.

I bought mine back in the spring when Outdoor Emp was having their big parking lot sale. I'm planning on wearing them through the winter with lonjohns and heavy fleece (ski) pants inside. Picked them up for $89, I think.

[This message has been edited by B. Gray (edited 08-18-2000).]

#94457 - 08/18/00 11:18 PM Re: Best waders?
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
I've heard some of you in the past bash the Bare Sharkskin breathables. I'm just here to tell you that I'm going on my third year with them and they've been through hell. Many hours on the rope oarsman's seat, hours beating through cattails, rainforest, and blackberries. I lived in them for a week on a recent trip to Alaska too. Never a leak!. When I do decide to replace them, they'll get the booties cut off and become very fine rain gear.
...guess I got lucky
good luck

#94458 - 08/22/00 05:50 PM Re: Best waders?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
BK - I use both the Bare 5mm neoprenes and the SIMMS (non guide model). They both have their uses, although I tend to use the SIMMS more when busting trails. The Bares are fine in the drift boat.

I was told one should only expect a couple of years out of the SIMMS, and that it didn't matter if you had the regular or guide models. Don't know if it's worth it to purchase the guide model. I'm only on my first season on the SIMMS. They seem to be holding out fine.

I wasn't that impressed by the Bailey's, although they were very comparable to the SIMMS. I guess I just felt more confident going with SIMMS.

Hope that helps.

Parker

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |