Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#944677 - 12/11/15 07:57 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i probably spend less time retying than most because i'm not tossing those 4'+ leaders that you see most using these days. short leaders snag up less. not to mention that when i do snag up, it's a lot quicker to retie than a float setup.

i find myself playing with depth settings a lot when tossing the bobber around, since i don't use them to fish long runs of consistent depth. with drift gear, you're always in the strike zone, within a foot or so of bottom.

i don't rag on the bobber guys as much as i used to as i do a fair amount of that type of fishing, but do bemoan the decline of the art of drift fishing these days. however, that does give me an edge in some situations, since i can pick off a lot of the fish that the jig tossing hordes pass over, especially on the smaller rivers.

#944695 - 12/11/15 11:13 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Some float.
Some sink.

It's a diet thing.

#944716 - 12/11/15 05:53 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
If the bite when drifting is everything why even have a hook? A fisherman floating a bobber has his rig in the water way more than someone driftfishing as they aren't retying all the time.

So this is that snootie sh!t that Vedder teaches in Bobber School ?
Figgered.

smile

#944722 - 12/11/15 11:28 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Stam in for the win!

#944725 - 12/12/15 05:11 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Direct-Drive]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
If the bite when drifting is everything why even have a hook? A fisherman floating a bobber has his rig in the water way more than someone driftfishing as they aren't retying all the time.

Figgered.

smile

Snootie? More like lazy, the less reties the better for these old eyes, especially in low light conditions.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#944735 - 12/12/15 09:07 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I have fished Washington Rivers starting with dink floats since the 80’s having learned the method from some of the short fishing trips taken to Canada. Since there wasn’t much tackle like these floats and worms etc. available around here at that time, I would stock up at Fred’s tackle shop each year while up there.

I was fishing one SW WA river in the early 90’s and a couple of good ol’ local boys came up and said we don’t fish this river with gear like that. I said that is too bad you would catch more fish if you did. smile

Next time I went fishing down there guess what some of the anglers were using?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#944737 - 12/12/15 09:34 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

Figgered.

smile

Snootie? More like lazy, the less reties the better for these old eyes, especially in low light conditions.

+1 milyun

I've become lazy and half blind, and using a float keeps me fishing more, and being pissed off less. I can see the float, it's the knot tying that takes glasses these days.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#944738 - 12/12/15 10:20 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Dan S.]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Ol drifter here, but, I have had my ass kicked by cork soakers a couple of times. And, I've paid them back a few times too!

So, in closing, I'll keep on driftin'

fp

#944806 - 12/14/15 11:56 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I don't give twoshits...there are douchebags and clowns fishing with every conceivable method, and there are rockstars and cool dudes fishing with every conceivable method.

I just fish the way I feel like fishing, and worry very little about how other people are...I also catch pretty much exactly as many fish as I need to, and worry little about how other people are catching more or less than me, too.

As a matter of fact...I try pretty hard to not worry about anything at all when I am out fishing.

That's what I get to do when I am working.

Flossers and snaggers are always douchebags, whether they do it with drift gear, boobers, or...gasp!...flyrods.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#944811 - 12/14/15 12:39 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I used to have an opinion about this kind of thing, but I have either became totally enlightened or reached total apathy. I wish I had time to care about how someone else fished.

Right now, plunking is my favorite.

It is fishing with your mind only, the physical aspect is just lobbing out the stuff 10 feet from your rod tip. You can choose to think about what is going on, and refine your set up all day long, or you can just turn off your brain and sit by the fire.

Right now I would love to turn off my brain for 3 hours.

#944814 - 12/14/15 01:31 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
I don't care how others fish either. However, I do think there is something to be said for each method. Here is how I see it.

Drift Pros: Coverage, slower presentation, fish heavier water, grab.

Drift Cons: Snags, dragging bottom can spook fish, not a natural drag free drift.

Float Pros: Natural presentation, no bottom contact (Unless you want it), fewer snags, doesn't spook fish, fish slower water

Float Cons: Less coverage of all water types, more gear to deal with if you throw it into the trees et cetera, less detection of soft bites (Maybe?).

Did I get it all wrong? Any additions subtractions?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#944822 - 12/14/15 03:00 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Pretty much what Todd said. Who gives 2shits? Go outside and fish. Have fun and make memories. Everything else is background noise.

#944824 - 12/14/15 03:19 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
It seems like most here are well versed in many styles or techniques. The topic was float vs drift but has turned into a technique debate. For every water condition or type of holding water there is a technique which will increase your odds for success...To me, the guys who can employ all techniques (flyfishing included) are the ones at the top of the food chain for arguments sake.

Plunking... rofl I have become hopelessly addicted to plunking spring chinook. I normally would be breaking out the fly rod in spring but have gotten hypnotized by watching the plunking rod dance in anticipation of a chinook takedown.

So, yeah....who the fuk cares, go out and have fun!

Edited by Bent Metal (12/14/15 03:22 PM)

#944831 - 12/14/15 03:57 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Netting !!!!!

#944838 - 12/14/15 05:41 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Bobber Downey Jr. Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, wa
"Shampoo is better, it goes on first and cleans the hair. No, conditioner is better; it goes on second and leaves hair silky smooth." Anyone putting real effort into debating this topic is about as smart as Billy Madison.

For the record, I float fish. I think it cuts down on my river cursing and gear carrying.

#944914 - 12/15/15 10:06 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Whatever works for the conditions at hand.

#944926 - 12/16/15 09:14 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
What a useless conversation! Reminds me of fly snobs arguing about strike indicators. For me, it's upstream dry fly or nothing! I'd rather enjoy my casting than disgrace a fish with a strike indicator!

#944929 - 12/16/15 09:25 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Wild Chrome]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Wild Chrome
What a useless conversation! Reminds me of fly snobs arguing about strike indicators. For me, it's upstream dry fly or nothing! I'd rather enjoy my casting than disgrace a fish with a strike indicator!

Well that makes perfect sense! What steelheader worthy of the name would ever disgrace a steelhead?

#944967 - 12/16/15 01:55 PM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Wild Chrome]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Originally Posted By: Wild Chrome
Reminds me of fly snobs arguing about strike indicators.

I've seen guys flyfishing using those little balloons with corkies/beads and micro shot with pretty good results. Seems like a lot of weight and commotion to use a fly rod to float fish. Dry fly for steel in the summer/fall is a blast...single hand rod, dry line and fly...awsome.

If only hatchery winter runs ate dry flies like fat kids eat skittles rofl

#945031 - 12/17/15 08:35 AM Re: float 's vs sinker [Re: Chetco]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Plant every ditch instead of pretending there are still wild strains of fish in the lower 48.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |