THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94678 - 08/25/00 12:34 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
DanO, in a head on hit with a rock a glass boat is as strong a aluminum. Also Lavro will repair anything you do to one of his boats for the life of the boat. You know anyone else that will do that?

#94679 - 08/25/00 12:44 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
fishrmn Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shelton, WA
Verle's Sports Center and Marine in Shelton sells Alumaweld drift boats. They also have a decent selection of used boats of all types, even some drift boats once in a while.

You can reach them at (360) 426-0933 or look them up on the net at www.verles.com
Good luck - Mark.

#94680 - 08/25/00 12:52 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
DanO,

Not only does a fiberglass take a hit (and scrape) as well as a metal boat, but you don't hit near as many rocks because you aren't riding as low. Last time we floated the Sauk in a metal boat, I thought I was going to lose a few teeth along the way as our guide did a Titanic impression with his boat.

Kevin

#94681 - 08/25/00 02:25 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
BW, If you own a lavro, I would ask them if their warrantee covers delamination, and gelcoat replacement. Your chines are probably the first place you will have a problem. If it was me, I would check and repair problems, at least once a season, more if you fish a lot , or see damage. TV HOST how high a driftboat floats is determined by the beam of the boat, and the weight in it, and how well it is balanced. Since fibreglass is almost TWICE as heavy as aluminum, you can't blame the low float on the material. If fibreglass takes a hit and scrape as well as aluminum, why then do you not see glass jetsleds anywhere?????

#94682 - 08/25/00 03:38 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I have owned both and now row an alumaweld. Both have their pros and cons. I wouldn't take my old glass boat down some of the [Bleeeeep!] the aluminum can handle. There is only really a couple rivers that it applies to though. Calawah, Duc, upper upper sky. Its really not a chevy/ford debate rather what and where you plan to fish. What fits your personal fishing style? I like the metal but yes its colder and louder.....Buy a heater and tell the guys up front to not bang around! I do think aluminum tracks better when pullin' plugs. Plus when your droppin' into some real hairy [Bleeeeep!], its nice to know your boat is metal! On the other hand glass slides over bars a lot easier. Just my two cent.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#94683 - 08/25/00 04:02 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
DanO,

I guess you don't see glass jetsleds because they aren't as effective as running driftboaters over? Just kidding, but there are a lot of fiberglass cruisers so they are obviously rugged. I don't know the technical or design aspects of building a driftboat..I just know that I personally prefer fiberglass to metal anytime. Agree to disagree?

Kevin

#94684 - 08/25/00 04:44 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
I HAVE BEEN ON THE STICKS OF ALL THE BRANDS OF BOATS FROM CLACKERCRAFT,SLIDERITE,EASTSIDE LAVRO,AND WILLIE,ALUMAWELD,FISHRITE,WILDHAIR
THEY ALL TRACK DIFFERENT BUT THE THING THAT YOU WANT TO LOOK AT IS THE PRICE AND WEIGHT OF THE BOAT,GLASS IS A BIT HEAVYER BUT SLIDES BETTER OVER ROCKS EXCEPT IF THE BOTTOM OF THE ALUMINUM BOAT HAS A PLASTIC BOTTOM ON IT,IT WILL ADD SOME WEIGHT BUT IT SLIDES EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS GLASS SO HANG ON WHEN YOU PUSH IT OFF THE TRAILER (IT WILL SLIDE LIKE A SLED ON SNOW).

#94685 - 08/25/00 04:46 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

SAUKitman(lol), Im definetely looking for a 14ft drifter, because of just that - Easier to Row/control. I went down and looked at the Lavro's, and i love the 14 footer. The 16's would kill my back and arms at days end. I also want to get one that i can put a small trolling motor on to fish the Snohomish for salmon. Does anybody have any do's/donts too putting a motor on a drift boat in a river like the Snohomish??

Believe in your Loomie and they will come! lol

- BW
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#94686 - 08/25/00 04:54 PM Re: Drift Boat Dealers?
Chris Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
Cam,
Whats new? I was looking in the paper yesterday and there is a 16 ft cala-craft with a complete ancor system, 3 oars, 2 seats and more. It was $1800. Thought that I would help out. I will send you the number if your interested.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 980 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |