Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#950128 - 02/06/16 12:32 PM 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

So glad to hear that after 35 years of fishing this water, the gate has been locked, launch reworked to allow boats to launch again, and two leases given to both launch sites. The first group of 5 keys was leased to an Eastern Washington fly fishing lodge. Not offererd to a local group. The second group of 3 keys a local group got. Well at least some locals will reap the benny's.
My problem is why not offer it to the highest bidder, I have max insurance and a Million dollar umbrella. That was the prerequisit....
A grand a key, big money wins again....

Now go on the WDFW site and voice your support for the public process on securing access to these launches, the duck hunting sites are asking thiers to not support any site that does not support duck hunting. Let your voices be heard

Matt

Edited by Met'lheadMatt (02/06/16 02:52 PM)

#950142 - 02/06/16 03:42 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
If Green Diamond is willing and able to lease out access at $1,000/year/key while retaining strong control on access what would be their incentive to providing general public access?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#950145 - 02/06/16 05:20 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

I did not say public access, I am bummed everyone did not have a chance to bid on a key if they met the requirements. if they lease it to the State, then they have no worries, and the State maintains the road

#950160 - 02/06/16 07:46 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
farmed it Offline
Alevin

Loc: Steelhead Ln
I take it you are a guide?

I am much more concerned about the loss of the public access.

This is much different than Uncle George selling Tree Farm Permits to access land for 100 -200 dollars.

If this is allowed to continue and becomes the norm on other privately held timberland. Joe Schmo Sportsman is in trouble.

Let your politicians know how you feel.

#950165 - 02/06/16 08:35 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Met'lheadMatt
I did not say public access, I am bummed everyone did not have a chance to bid on a key if they met the requirements. if they lease it to the State, then they have no worries, and the State maintains the road

I really missed your point! With your clarification let me say that if there is no general public access onto/through that stretch of water maybe it just needs to be closed to fishing all together.

After all, WDFW will not plant lakes that do not have public access so why should they allow fishing where access to the resource is controlled by the adjacent property owner(s) who lease(s) out access to that public resource at, in this case, $1,000 per key?

#950174 - 02/07/16 03:01 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

I am not a guide, and since this year they have chosen no public access. The part that concerns me is, they only leased it to guides. Without the general public having a chance to the lease, since lease as thier direction they chose to go. And secondly, 5 of the 8 keys where leased to fly fishing lodge from eastern washington. Not even offered to the guides or general public that live in the general area.
And at a grand a key, it will follow the same path as the hunting leases.. A game for the few rich and famous..

So the third point is, they are still trying to lease the gravel bar to the State for public access, for next and remaining years, The WDFW published a list of 17 sites they have chosen for lease or purchase, the Nooch 7400 is one of them. All 17 will not get approved, they are taking public comment and openion on each of them.
There are members on hunt washington and refuge gang urging thier members to give positive comment on only those that are geared toward duck hunting. So if you would like to see the 7400 access chosen, you need to post comment in support of on wdfw site.
If it is not one of the chosen ones, next year access will possibly go to the four highest bidders........

Edited by Met'lheadMatt (02/07/16 03:03 AM)

#950176 - 02/07/16 08:51 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
I agree with you Matt. This is a trend that is happening all over our state. Private access only to public water. We (the common guy) are systematically being either shut out of access or pushed to over crowded spots with very limited access on many, many of our rivers and lakes which are listed as public, navigable water!

Comments sent...(if words were only votes)

Thanks for the heads up.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#950178 - 02/07/16 09:13 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Remember.....there was Green Diamond allowed access......because of some "sportsmen" and how they blocked the road off, Green Diamond did what they had to do.

I've said many times, we have lost many access points on many of the Grays Harbor rivers.....still I see the trash, bait containers, cans, paper coffee cups, line, left at boat launches and gravel bars.

"We have met the enemy, it is us"!!!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#950179 - 02/07/16 09:17 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: DrifterWA]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Drifter, I agree, people are [Bleeeeep!] slobs. Leaving a sand shrimp container on the bank instead of taking it home and putting it in the garbage is like the people who smoke in their car and then throw the butt out the window because they don't want their ashtray to get dirty of the rig to stink.

#950183 - 02/07/16 09:45 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Larry B]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Originally Posted By: Larry B

After all, WDFW will not plant lakes that do not have public access so why should they allow fishing where access to the resource is controlled by the adjacent property owner(s) who lease(s) out access to that public resource at, in this case, $1,000 per key?

I think this hits the nail on the head. Instead of allowing the upper river to become the private playground of a select few, if the public doesn't have access to that stretch of river the WDFW should just close it to fishing.

My tax and license dollars shouldn't be used to subsidize the fisheries of private entities to the exclusion of the public.

Edited by BossMan (02/07/16 09:46 AM)

#950188 - 02/07/16 10:35 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: BossMan]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:
I think this hits the nail on the head. Instead of allowing the upper river to become the private playground of a select few, if the public doesn't have access to that stretch of river the WDFW should just close it to fishing.

The river access is not closed off you can walk in and fish anywhere you want on GD's property or most anyway. It appears they chose to utilize a private property launch to generate a monetary return on property they owned due more to problems with the public use vehicle concept for property management. This outcome is very prevalent in most every place I have fished most certainly outside this state.

To put it simply when you put huge numbers of Rec fishers in any fishery without a plan to manage the traffic nothing good happens. Hunters have faced this for years and most states have adjusted but with fisheries in this state we continue to think you can pour in tourism driven fisheries without structure and it worked kinda for sometime. It is starting to not work now and in the future our present system will totally collapse as there are just way to many of us.

#950190 - 02/07/16 10:53 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I can understand the state not planting fish in waters inaccessible to license holders. But, if say to a landowner that your land is closed to hunting or fishing because you don't allow public access just how much habitat protection you think will occur?

While the resources are public property, the land isn't. Why should a timberland owner have deer, elk, and bears on his land if he can't control access (essentially control behavior) on that land? Getting your equipment and roads and land trashed for the public sucks out money.

Maybe WA can do like WY does. Each big game tag has (or had) a voucher. Kill a deer, give the voucher to the landowner, and he gets money back from the state for providing access.

#950191 - 02/07/16 11:12 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Rivrguy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

One can argue that being able to nibble at the edges or take a long hike to reach the entire length of that section of the river constitutes having access. And while that may be technically accurate I would suggest that it is not the same level of access that the property owner is selling to a select few at a high price.

But the point that increasing demand without a plan to ensure ongoing access has reached a crisis point is spot on. Private property owners have tired of the problems or have sold out to higher valued use of the properties which are incompatible with continued public access.

#950200 - 02/07/16 04:21 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
River Nutrients

Look at the fisheries that WDF pushes and promotes. Marine salmon, marine rockfish, marine halibut, lowland lake trout, walleye, kokanee.

All pretty much require a boat. The launch in most places can be provided by somebody else. The non-boat angler is close to ignored.

Those river fisheries, especially if they require bank access, are close to ignored and are way too much trouble to manage.

Look at the Skok. At least out in marine waters it all just floats away.

#950250 - 02/08/16 09:53 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

"Look at the Skok. At least out in marine waters it all just floats away."

If WDFW is looking toward the future, they can see that there isn't much of a future in river bank accessed public fishing. It makes economic sense, if not entirely social sense, for WDFW to focus on boat accessed fishing. Boat accessed fishing returns more dollars per fish landed to the state economy than does bank fishing. Add to that the high cost of generating a landed steelhead, whether of hatchery or wild origin, and it becomes readily apparent that this is a fishery of the past, and not the future.

Not to drift too far off topic, but a hatchery steelhead has the least favorable return to the economy. If it costs $6/pound to produce steelhead smolts at 6/pound and the SAR rate is less than 1%, it makes more sense to raise coho smolts at 15 - 25/pound and get a SAR rate of 4% or higher, depending on location. And when those coho are caught by boat anglers in marine waters, the $$ contribution per fish to the state economy is even higher.

Public access to public fish resources will probably get worse instead of better. I hope WDFW can obtain this access lease.

Sg

#950258 - 02/08/16 10:50 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
River Nutrients

Salmo. That's all well and good and probably true. For those of us who really don't do well in boats, or who like walk and wade, and perhaps don't worship Chrome Cod, that leaves other states, provinces, and countries.

As long as WDFW is clear about what they are doing.

Here's one to consider, though. What will the economic benefit be to a walleye fishery, year-round in Lake WA vs. continuing the experiences of the last 20-30 years in the lake? If it gets down to pure economics, anadromous salmonids will lose so long as BC and AK low-hole WA.

#950261 - 02/08/16 11:00 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Salmo g.

There is more to the story of the economic returns of various species smolt returns. While it is obvious that the more fish the better the real measure of economic returns in recreational fisheries is the number of man-days supported by the production releases.

Let's face it steelhead fisheries are less than sane and are willing to spend a surprising amount of time and effort to capture their quarry. Many steelhead fishers will continue to fish at catch rates at which many coho fishers would quit. As a result even at some pretty low return rates the release of steelhead smolts has a positive cost:benefit ration. With steelhead the non-treaty share goes to the recreational fishers while with coho that non-treaty share is split between commercial and recreational fishers. Final if one is interested in river fisheries steelhead generally support a higher exploitation rates than coho. It is not uncommon for in-river recreational steelhead fisheries to be able to harvest over 50% of the available fish (typically that rate can be over 70%) while that in-river harvest rate of the available coho is typically less than 10%. All of which is along way of saying there may be more to the decision of whether to raise steelhead than just the cost/low return rates.

BTW -
It is looking probable that the SAR for wild coho this year on north Puget Sound may have been at or below that 1% range.

Curt

#950274 - 02/08/16 01:42 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
just call the best guide. he has a key..... usually up all hours too.

#950291 - 02/08/16 06:26 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
My understanding is the WDFW did buy the property. The keys are for the remainder of this season which I find strange..The whole damn thing is strange. If the property was bought will the WDFW be able to get a launch built before next season? Heard talk of a power boat restriction on some parts of the river now as well. Good for those who got keys bad for those who don't. Just saw a pic of a 23 foot Wooldridge parked right under the 7400 bridge on Facebook.

#950301 - 02/08/16 07:53 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Good for them. Glad they found access....

#950309 - 02/08/16 09:09 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: deerlick]
fish4brains Offline

jealousy will get you nowhere

#950314 - 02/08/16 09:32 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Mystical Legends]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Mystical Legends
Just saw a pic of a 23 foot Wooldridge parked right under the 7400 bridge on Facebook.

What else did you see????? Low water?, high water ????? was the picture showing the river bottom?????

If the river flow was high, 8000 +, then it would be no problem......if you're talking 800 cfs, then its not going to happen..

Got to understand, most jet boat owners aren't going to tear their equipment up, just to run to the 7400 line at water that is lower than a safe level to run.

I had my 1st jet boat, way above Carter Creek, at what I've always called the Picnic Hole, that would have been in the early 90's.

I've not had my present boat, put in and run either way from White Bridge, to many guides, tooners, drift boat, rafts for me.

Access needs to be kept for all users......if it takes taxpayers $$$$$$ to get the access, then so be it.

I don't see this as a place that would need a WDFW big dollar boat launch.

I'd rather see WDFW, buy some access around Carter Creek, some of my best memories, with my boys and others was from Carter Creek to White Bridge, in my drift boat.....mid 80's.

#950316 - 02/08/16 09:43 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Lol, plenty of water to run your boat up there no problem at current flows. I agree access for all! But too many feel differently. Use to slide in at Carter just to fish the corner below...man we had some fun back then.

#950321 - 02/08/16 10:49 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

I know that corner WELL.....1st drift boat summer run, caught right off the big bank, on left....also put out more than a few Coho and a few Kings. Yep in the "old days" we could keep Chinook.

Those were the days......

#950329 - 02/09/16 09:00 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Carcassman & Smalma,

As a steelheader and an angler who prefers to wade and cast, I favor as much public access as possible. I was just responding to comments about WDFW's apparent focus, dwindling public access, and the enormous costs associated with access and maintaining productive river fisheries in WA.

I've read here on Piscatorial Pursuits that fly fishermen catch nothing, so as a fly guy I'm well aware of the insane amount of time anglers will put in to catch a steelhead.

I don't fish the Wynoochee much, but when I do, I fish the upper river, so access across GD lands is paramount to my recreation there.

Sg

#950335 - 02/09/16 09:59 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Opportunity?

LOL.

#950336 - 02/09/16 10:22 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Tons of room.
NOT.
Sad that WDFW has pushed the young pups to this.
They have no other opportunity and obviously they have no problem being that big-that high up.

#950338 - 02/09/16 11:25 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
River Nutrients

Think of all that rig contributes to the economy. A walk and wader spends diddleysquat compared to that. We need more money in the economy.

#950340 - 02/09/16 11:27 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Yep, thats the pic. Just seen it again on FB. Crazy!!

Salmo I agree 100% with you and you should not be denied access up there at all. These timber companies get huge tax breaks and in no way should they be able to keep the general public from accessing hunting grounds or fishing areas. Then to be able to charge a few select for access is a crock.

#950341 - 02/09/16 11:34 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Over and over again I see the state make decisions that do not coincide with generating monies to the economy via sport fishing. In fact, I think they do just the opposite most times. If you ask me they run a very bad business.

#950345 - 02/09/16 12:10 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Mystical Legends]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mystical Legends
Yep, thats the pic. Just seen it again on FB. Crazy!!

Salmo I agree 100% with you and you should not be denied access up there at all. These timber companies get huge tax breaks and in no way should they be able to keep the general public from accessing hunting grounds or fishing areas. Then to be able to charge a few select for access is a crock.

I wonder who paid to build that bridge in the back ground???????

I also wonder if that is Bigfoot's shadow in the lower portion of the picture?

#950367 - 02/09/16 05:27 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central

WSC seems to have taken action against...I repeat, against the privatizing of 7400 and wants it open to the public....well FML , they must have not gotten a key:)

Edited by bhudda (02/09/16 05:33 PM)

#950380 - 02/09/16 06:53 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: bhudda]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: bhudda

WSC seems to have taken action against...I repeat, against the privatizing of 7400 and wants it open to the public....well FML , they must have not gotten a key:)

Pretty sure those guys just want to make sure all the 206ers have as many alternatives to Forks as possible, but I'm glad to have their support just the same.

#950390 - 02/09/16 07:41 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

Phil,
I was pulling plugs at the mouth of Scheafer creek last wednesday, when 3 sleds came from below and passed us heading upriver. I would not want to go down the fast rocky water, without sticks....

Edited by Met'lheadMatt (02/09/16 07:47 PM)

#950402 - 02/09/16 08:43 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

If there was a drift boat launch up there us sledders wouldn't go up so far...just sayin.

#950407 - 02/09/16 10:13 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...

#950430 - 02/10/16 07:10 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

We all know who is up there.

I have never launched my sled in the Nooch and never will.

Swamping drift boats ain't my thing.

#950443 - 02/10/16 08:49 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
We all know who is up there.

I have never launched my sled in the Nooch and never will.

Swamping drift boats ain't my thing.

Now there's a guy who cares about something other than himself (and values his boat!). Most years, running a sled that high is out of the question. This year, it's only a little bit stupid.

#950444 - 02/10/16 09:23 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: FleaFlickr02]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Sounds like some of the 360ers and some 509ers beat everyone to the punch as far as keys go.
We should blame that on the 206ers and the 425ers.
SF

#950445 - 02/10/16 09:24 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

I just feel the bigger boats have no place there.

16' and down with a smallish motor have at it when it's up.

Sad what it has become.

#950448 - 02/10/16 09:46 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
SAD is right!

#950457 - 02/10/16 10:42 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: stonefish]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Sounds like some of the 360ers and some 509ers beat everyone to the punch as far as keys go.
We should blame that on the 206ers and the 425ers.
SF

No good 509ers. I can't bring myself to curse the few 360ers, though. At least they're people who live and work in the area.

I'm in the camp of everyone fishes or nobody fishes, myself. Elitism sucks; especially when you're not elite.

#950461 - 02/10/16 11:23 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Having a key is the easy part.

Having one that fits can be problematic.

Just sayin.

#950474 - 02/10/16 01:18 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Phil,
I was pulling plugs at the mouth of Scheafer creek last wednesday, when 3 sleds came from below and passed us heading upriver. I would not want to go down the fast rocky water, without sticks....

How did you get to Scheafer Ck. to be pulling plugs????????? Interesting....

r u a "key man"???????

#950476 - 02/10/16 01:21 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

No comment about the bridge/boat picture?

#950477 - 02/10/16 01:26 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: DrifterWA]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Phil,

How did you get to Scheafer Ck. to be pulling plugs????????? Interesting....

r u a "key man"???????

That is interesting... Matt, you got some splainin' to do... but I'll let you off for a copy of your key!

#950478 - 02/10/16 01:28 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Poor Matt.
All he wanted to do was throw the sleds under the bus. smile

I don't blame him.
Damn sled guys.

#950484 - 02/10/16 01:57 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Below is a "cut and paste" from another thread...got lazy, didn't want to re-type....

I read the complete article....

1. I don't fish my jet boat in the White Bridge area. There are many guides that do and do safely. I'm sure the impact is less than if there were no boats above White Bridge. I'm also aware that drift boats and pontoons have access at a few places above White Bridge. So it not like NO ONE is catching hatchery fish above White, just not like in the past.

2. Hatchery fish and wild fish spawning ????? I do know that many of the hatchery fish end up in the fish trap. Some of these hatchery fish are taken back to the hatchery, to be used for brood stock. Some of the hatchery fish are released above the dam, this has been going on for a long time, 30+ years.

There have been at least 2 truck loads of hatchery fish, recycled. The fish are taken from the trap, tagged and trucked back down river. They are released at XXXXXXXXXXXX. Gives sportsmen a second chance at the hatchery fish.......

I've heard very few comments on "drift boat / jet boat", since Green Diamond gated the 7400 line....why is that????? Just wondering.

#950489 - 02/10/16 02:50 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Before long you will see float planes.

#950491 - 02/10/16 02:58 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

And helicopters.

#950542 - 02/10/16 07:45 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

And Jetskis and Bayliners.

rolleyes
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#950547 - 02/10/16 08:00 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
Jetskis are an excellent way to get internal-combustion motors banned (hint hint). Happened on Black River and a couple other coastal streams (temporarily). People get more uptight having their peace and quite disturbed by adrenalin junkies on skis for some reason.

#950548 - 02/10/16 08:01 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: JTD]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: JTD

And Jetskis and Bayliners.

rolleyes

I think there could be a real market for a single or double occupant lightweight aluminum, low displacement PWC that could be used to access the upper headwaters of our rivers... wink

#950555 - 02/10/16 08:30 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

It has all been done before.

In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#950557 - 02/10/16 08:33 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Heard he crashed his giant wooldridge around black creek already

#950587 - 02/11/16 07:42 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
This hole deal with Green Diamond selling keys to 7400 gate is a bunch of B.S. and it doesn't matter who they sold them to or what price they had to pay. First off if anyone remembers how this access was shut down. The first people who were shut of the 7400 access was the people doing shuttles for fishermen making money for profit, Mick and Rockey were told they could no longer do shuttles up there. Second group a few weeks later was the guides, because they were using Green Diamond land also for profit. Third group was when all the rest of us got locked out with the final closing of the gate because of vehicles blocking the road and bridge and litter problem. Seems now Green Diamond, by giving a few people access has forgot about the excuses they used to shut access down in the first place. I don't know how, but it's about time we sportsmen stand up for ourselves and get heard loud and clear that we are tired of being screwed by big timber companies on access to their land. I know there are some lawyers that frequent this site that may have an idea of how to approach this problem and lead us to a way to fight for what we have lost.

#950643 - 02/11/16 01:23 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: steelhead59]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Chicken bones and diapers

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#950645 - 02/11/16 01:27 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Not that I like seeing any access closed for any reason, but it seems to me that Green Diamond closed it and sold keys to a handful of people to exactly address the problems they were having.

Now there will be less garbage, no one will be blocking their road, and no one will be using their property to make money without their permission, and those people are paying for the privilege.

Not sure how many of the folks here have a foot this shoe would fit on...but I always find it more than a little amusing that "private property rights" and "personal responsibility" folks become Socialists really, really quickly when someone doesn't give them free access to their property to do whatever they want to do there, whether it be hunt, fish, or whatever.

I do think, however, that tax breaks should not be doled out to those who close up the property to recreation...otherwise, it's their property, they don't owe you schit.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#950672 - 02/11/16 02:18 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: steelhead59]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: steelhead59
I don't know how, but it's about time we sportsmen stand up for ourselves and get heard loud and clear that we are tired of being screwed by big timber companies on access to THEIR LAND

Key word. Their land! It doesn't matter if they get tax breaks for public access or not. Green Diamond manages the land

Selling access to the public is still "PUBLIC ACCESS"....

Aswell....They keep their property open 365 days a year for public walk in access aswell. aside from fire danger or logging activities.
Open Vehicle access is not a requirement.... and anyone can walk their happy @$$ to the river.

#950674 - 02/11/16 02:23 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

I absolutely hate that these launches are closed. I fish from a pontoon and any ditched launch was not a big deal. I still had all the access I needed.

It's fishermen who screwed us out of these access points. No other user group is involved. And I 100% agree with green diamond closing Thier lands.
For years they kept gates open to access these launches. While they locked all other gates December 31st...we had the privilege of access. And a few took it for granted and ruined it for everyone....

#950678 - 02/11/16 02:43 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: bankbum]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: bankbum
I absolutely hate that these launches are closed. I fish from a pontoon and any ditched launch was not a big deal. I still had all the access I needed.

It's fishermen who screwed us out of these access points. No other user group is involved. And I 100% agree with green diamond closing Thier lands.
For years they kept gates open to access these launches. While they locked all other gates December 31st...we had the privilege of access. And a few took it for granted and ruined it for everyone....

Some fisherman surely do litter and parked on the road which caused issues, but the problems aren't entirely fisherman related.
I've seen many non anglers camping and partying at access areas, especially during the summer. They contribute to the problems / issues and access areas getting closed. They are deaf to the concept of leave no trace.
SF

#950679 - 02/11/16 02:56 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

You want to argue they were right to close it? Okay. You want to argue that's THEIR land? Cool. Just seems to me if they're going to profit from selling exclusive access to fish on that land, the public shouldn't foot the bill to stock their private playground with hatchery fish. Same goes for Stump Lake, Green Diamond's first foray into the business of pimping out state-funded resources to the highest bidders.

The land is theirs to manage. The fish and wildlife belong to the general public, and if they're going to sell those resources, they should have to buy them first. That is all.

#950681 - 02/11/16 03:20 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Good point FleaFlicker.

#950683 - 02/11/16 03:33 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
steelhead59 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
When they only sell keys to persons that have a million dollar insurance policy, they are no longer catering to the PUBLIC!!!!!

#950692 - 02/11/16 04:14 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: steelhead59]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: steelhead59
When they only sell keys to persons that have a million dollar insurance policy, they are no longer catering to the PUBLIC!!!!!

Reality check. If you have any significant assets and/or future earnings potential a million dollar liability policy is cheap protection even for the general public.

#950729 - 02/11/16 07:00 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I agree that the State should not be stocking private lakes on private property...hard to compare salmon/steelhead to that, though, when not only is the entire river open to fish, but accessible, too...you just can't drive in there and launch a boat.

Take home for me is that I hope the State buys access, and that the "private property personal responsibility anti-Socialists" who want this drop their hypocrisy and realize that when the entirety of the taxpayers in Washington fund buying this access for us, then that is Socialism by any definition that you can stretch it into.

Fish on...

Todd

#950793 - 02/12/16 06:30 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

a few more beaver slids that require work to make it happen exist, besides the 600, you just gotta find them. At my age I wish I had a key. Haha

#950794 - 02/12/16 07:09 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

There goes the neighborhood

#950795 - 02/12/16 07:11 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: deerlick]
fish4brains Offline

Dick (deerlick) did you used to post under the name "boater"?

#950800 - 02/12/16 09:05 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Todd]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Todd
I agree that the State should not be stocking private lakes on private property...hard to compare salmon/steelhead to that, though, when not only is the entire river open to fish, but accessible, too...you just can't drive in there and launch a boat.

Take home for me is that I hope the State buys access, and that the "private property personal responsibility anti-Socialists" who want this drop their hypocrisy and realize that when the entirety of the taxpayers in Washington fund buying this access for us, then that is Socialism by any definition that you can stretch it into.

Fish on...

Todd

"Accessible" is a relative term. There are a few places you can hoof it in up there, but all are long hauls, and at high flows, you're lucky to be able to fish two holes at any one place. When the payoff is watching sleds side drift through that water you worked so hard to reach, forgive me, but it doesn't feel fair.

In my view, allowing only a few, select people to pay for a significant advantage in what is supposed to be an equal public access opportunity moves past Capitalism, straight into Elitism. Call me out as a Socialist if you like. It doesn't offend me. Heck, if it weren't for the annoying obsession with political correctness that dominates their platform these days, I'd probably call myself a Socialist.

#950809 - 02/12/16 09:31 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: fish4brains]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: fish4brains

nope just a different dick apparently

#950811 - 02/12/16 09:46 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: deerlick]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: deerlick
Originally Posted By: fish4brains

nope just a different dick apparently

Lol smile

I know deerlick, and have met boater, and they definitely are not the same folks!

Fish on...

Todd

#950817 - 02/12/16 10:04 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: bankbum]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: bankbum

I know it was fishermen, that caused the problem at the 7400 line. That Green Diamond gated their property was their right.

What I don't agree with. is that fishermen cause all the problems. I live close enough to the Wynoochee, that I might drive to the river, 2-3 times a day. Most of the time its to fish but many times to see how others are doing. I ALSO KNOW THAT SWIMMERS/CAMPERS, DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS, HAVE BEEN A DIRECT RESULT OF MANY GRAVEL BARS BEING CLOSED. Trash, dirty diapers, torn up gravel bars, cut down trees for fires, campers/trailers parked for weeks at a time....just makes for less access for all of us.

Access that used to be, is not anymore.......If I've heard "I used to put in there", once, I've heard it a thousand times !!!!!!!!

#950818 - 02/12/16 10:10 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02

"Accessible" is a relative term. There are a few places you can hoof it in up there, but all are long hauls, and at high flows, you're lucky to be able to fish two holes at any one place. When the payoff is watching sleds side drift through that water you worked so hard to reach, forgive me, but it doesn't feel fair.

In my view, allowing only a few, select people to pay for a significant advantage in what is supposed to be an equal public access opportunity moves past Capitalism, straight into Elitism. Call me out as a Socialist if you like. It doesn't offend me. Heck, if it weren't for the annoying obsession with political correctness that dominates their platform these days, I'd probably call myself a Socialist.

The first paragraph is exactly the point I was trying to make. As to Todd or any one else trying to couch public access points into socialism versus capitalism you are taking this sideways with the result being non-productive chipping at one another.

#950820 - 02/12/16 10:19 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: DrifterWA]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

[quote=DrifterWA) What I don't agree with. is that fishermen cause all the problems. I live close enough to the Wynoochee, that I might drive to the river, 2-3 times a day. Most of the time its to fish but many times to see how others are doing. I ALSO KNOW THAT SWIMMERS/CAMPERS, DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS, HAVE BEEN A DIRECT RESULT OF MANY GRAVEL BARS BEING CLOSED. Trash, dirty diapers, torn up gravel bars, cut down trees for fires, campers/trailers parked for weeks at a time....just makes for less access for all of us.

Access that used to be, is not anymore.......If I've heard "I used to put in there", once, I've heard it a thousand times !!!!!!!! [/quote]

Not sure if it was the Wynoochee or Satsop but I still after many years remember a Spring drift trip and coming to a gravel bar absolutely covered with the aftermath of a huge beer party. Broken bottles, cans, remains of a fire, broken lawn furniture and various other crap. I can only imagine the feelings of the adjacent property owner.

#950915 - 02/12/16 07:11 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
farmed it Offline
Alevin

Loc: Steelhead Ln
Trash on the river from the public is a problem but.... the worst littering I have seen on the Wynoochie is created by some local farmers white plastic hay bales wraps that regularly "accidentally" get flooded into the river. The litter is ending up downstream. Not on their property.

#950923 - 02/12/16 08:16 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: farmed it]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: farmed it
Trash on the river from the public is a problem but.... the worst littering I have seen on the Wynoochie is created by some local farmers white plastic hay bales wraps that regularly "accidentally" get flooded into the river. The litter is ending up downstream. Not on their property.

+1 Land owner is North of "Cross over bridge".......Has happened, MORE THAN ONCE

I called sheriff Office, as did others, was told that the person had broken no law.

#950924 - 02/12/16 08:27 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: DrifterWA]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

+1 Land owner is North of "Cross over bridge".......Has happened, MORE THAN ONCE

I called sheriff Office, as did others, was told that the person had broken no law.

Myself and a friend participated in a cleanup of this crap a few years back (through no acknowledgment or help from the guilty farmer).....still a problem. Same $hit, year after year. It's not rocket science to move the goddamn things up from the flood plain!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled 7400 access soap opera.

#950933 - 02/12/16 09:50 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

You should have had the local high school kids decorated his house with it

#950936 - 02/12/16 11:15 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: deerlick]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: deerlick
just call the best guide. he has a key..... usually up all hours too.

LOL

- Albert Einstein.

#950937 - 02/12/16 11:20 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Couldn't pay me to fish this clusterphug of a river....just like the Cowlitz...have at it.

- Albert Einstein.

#950945 - 02/13/16 06:23 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: DrifterWA]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

As someone who has picked up a lot of trash at riversides and boat launches, I'd have brought the god da** things right up to his door, told him what I think of him, and left them on his doorstep. If he doesn't like it, he should clean it up himself or just get used to having them decorate his property. What a white trash shi*head! Bob R

#950965 - 02/13/16 12:11 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

That is some awesome work Eric, thank you very much for you efforts. That white plastic just doesn't go away on its own. I have grabbed my share on a few trips, its frustrating to see it happen again.
THANK YOU ERIC

#950975 - 02/13/16 01:20 PM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: FishDoctor]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: FishDoctor
That is some awesome work Eric, thank you very much for you efforts. That white plastic just doesn't go away on its own. I have grabbed my share on a few trips, its frustrating to see it happen again.
THANK YOU ERIC

Actually, kudos should go to area biologist Curt Holt who organized the effort that day. Several boats and people volunteered.

#951165 - 02/15/16 12:15 AM Re: 7400 and 600 nooch access, Thanks Green Diamond [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
The only reason green diamond pulled the key deal was to piss off the general public and they in turn would blow up the phones at WDFW .....thus causing the state to panic and instead of being proactive like Green Diamond asked them years ago to do to get the new launch and parking built they just sat on there hands and hoped green diamond would leave the gate open forever.....WRONG with so much theft and Vandalism by tweakers and garbage left at the old launch site and Mickey and his Geritol crew not yielding to loaded log trucks or trucks with boats it forced Green Diamonds hand to do this and guess what....the construction on the new road, parking lot and launch starts in may I believe.
I was in the on-sight meeting for a few minutes last week and boy did Green Diamond embarrass all the state people involved in this, especially the heads.....Its moving extremeley fast and once again there will be 30-50 driftboats a day on that stretch...
Also lots of horse power restriction talk along with boundary talk for the sled dudes and by the way.....there were 7 sleds up at schafer the other day, just crazy......

The guys that want to continue to hate on me I will tell you why I was given a shot at a key....first is because of the number of volunteer hours I have put in down here with our fisheries whether it was long live the kings in the 90's where i first started helping out or with broodstocking or collecting liter like a hole lot of PPer's did and that was awesome or being on the season setting committee or what have you....oh and working with enforcement ......all those guys know me really well because of lets call it what it really is ( time served ) one year I did 288 hours of voluneering for fisheries in this region and at times I have done some real [Bleeeeep!] jobs that no one wanted to do but needed to get done and I raised my hand and did it right along side alot of other citizens and PPer's.... Fred Pent is another guy who is always there and always willing to help.......

next: the insurance is actually more then a million because you have to have a million agregate with a binder for 2 incidents and you also have to have a certificate of insurance not proof which is way more difficult and expensive and you can thank Mick and his Geritol crew for that .......BTW Mick is banned for life from GD Property.....

The last thing I just want to fire shot back at Deer prick or whatever he is called...I cant sleep much, I dont , I wish I could and in a few months after my second surgery I should be able to once again sleep like a baby and get full use of my right leg back and not be in this constant horriffic pain that I have had to deal with until this hotshot back surgeon read about my case and his skills, arrogance and shear determination to make me whole again has spurred nothing less then a huge miracle as far as I am concerned.....My L3,4 and 5 have been bone on bone for a while and have destroyed the nerve so much so that sometimes I can just be walking down the sidewalk and totally colapse like I have been shot...believe me its a horrible exsistance along with constantly being tired and having to be cognisant of where you are attitude and temper wise because the slightest thing sometimes can tip you over......lets not forget my left shoulder that was completely destroyed in the auto accident I was in on June 24th which nearly took my life........traumatic brain injury, brain bleeds, shoulder and left side of body creamed..............I will leave it at that because I now have a horrible headache and am going to get the ice packs and try and go to sleep so I can fish......

you watch, it will all work out and we all will be happy accept deer cock, I mean deer Balls

Peace Im fly and Im out

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |