LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95102 - 08/29/00 12:27 AM Duc'...whats safe?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I floated the lower end of the Sol Duc' a few times in may for springers, I think it was 4 1/2 boards, lowest I have floated it. It was pretty burly, but fun too. At what board do you put away the aluminum and pull out the puma? I knew we were in for a ruff ride because mansfield was the only other boat on the bottom end with us. Basically whats the point of no return! Young and dumb only gets me so far......so help me out? How many boards?

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#95103 - 08/29/00 12:48 AM Re: Duc'...whats safe?
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
Bk I have been on the Duc at 5 1/2 boards and did alot of boat pushing. I felt that the banging and clanging spooked the fish to much. Down here when the rivers are low I will pull the boat above the shallows and walk down to the good slots below, fish theml, then move on. Good luck. By the way how did you do? I would like to get up there and fish the Kings soon.
Keep the Rivers Clean!!!

------------------
dank

#95104 - 08/29/00 03:34 AM Re: Duc'...whats safe?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

It was spotty for springers on the Duc' in my boat but we got a couple. A couple takedowns a day, either crack of dawn or heavy water. I really didn't fish it often. In three days we landed four springers and a few spawners. That is until we started fishing the Kalama almost every day. That baby was hot from may on for our boat. Starting mid may we hooked quite a bit of steelies too. Killer fighters! But those kalama springers are the best eating fish ever....screw sockeye. Real fatty! I'm not kiddin' about the kalama either, what a fun place when may normally sucks. Wouldn't be a bad place to live. Sorry I'm gettin' carried away, that was fun. I heard the wind was super juiced too, even more than the kalama, I just couldn't leave em' to find em'. Back to the lower Duc, how in the hell do you walk a boat down some of that [Bleeeeep!]? Five fingers ya, but some of the drops? What float did you do? Not to be rude Kalamabama, but again how many boards is it still FLOATABLE? I dont mind banging around.

Vision Pro Staff

#95105 - 08/29/00 11:34 PM Re: Duc'...whats safe?
lester Offline
Smolt

Loc: west richland,wa benton
Hey Fella's,
What is the board measurement you are refering to?curious in west richland

#95106 - 08/29/00 11:54 PM Re: Duc'...whats safe?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
4 1/2 oards is actual still a fair amount of water in there ... fairly common to be there or even a board or two lower lower in late steelie season. The lowest I can remember taking my bokat down the bottokm end was about one board, but know that many people have done it lower than that. One board is probably as low as I'd take the hard boat down ... use my Puma after that 'cuz it's just too much of a pain otherwise. Should be able to safely do it at a board if you know the trail. By the way, boards are the number of concrete slabs at the Maxfield Rd launch that are covered with water at a given height reading.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#95107 - 08/30/00 01:24 AM Re: Duc'...whats safe?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Bob, I know my way down but I think maybe 2 boards and up is what I'll stick to. Better safe than sorry. Its a blast just to float the Duc, regardless of how many ya hook. Thanks again.

Vision Pro Staff

#95108 - 08/30/00 07:14 PM Re: Duc'...whats safe?
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
BK sorry about the bad info. I drifted the lower end to linedecker. I thought that some of the folks had said it was 5 1/2 boards. Must have been lower.
Keep the Rivers Clean!!!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1033 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |