Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#955029 - 03/30/16 07:59 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: stonefish]
eddie Online   content
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Originally Posted By: stonefish
I buy one every year. If I don't fish I just become a grumpy POS.
I've lost some fishing opportunities but found some new ones I enjoy just as much if not more.
If coho season is closed, I've got a few bucket list species I plan to attempt to check off this summer.
As a lifelong state resident, I can certainly understand why folks may not renew their licenses, especially if they are a dedicated salmon or steelhead angler.
SF
I agree completely!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#955030 - 03/30/16 08:04 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Tack on Columbia river and Puget Sound crab endorsement for $8.75 each.

Add a non-resident Oregon license $55.00 and combined angling tag for another $97.50. Looks like they raised the combined fee for non-resident this year. Columbia basin endorsement $9.75. $26.00 for non-resident shellfish. Haven't pumped sand shrimp or dug razors there in years. For all the days I plan on fishing it is still better to buy the annual license.

Looks like I'm not buying either Columbia river endorsement but could buy it later if needed.

#955047 - 03/30/16 09:41 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: stonefish]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: stonefish
I buy one every year. If I don't fish I just become a grumpy POS.
I've lost some fishing opportunities but found some new ones I enjoy just as much if not more.
If coho season is closed, I've got a few bucket list species I plan to attempt to check off this summer.
As a lifelong state resident, I can certainly understand why folks may not renew their licenses, especially if they are a dedicated salmon or steelhead angler.
SF

That's a good point, I'll give you that. Not fishing is simply not an option for me either. There are greener pastures that are not too far away!

fb

#955055 - 03/31/16 08:44 AM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: DrifterWA]
TastySalmon Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Samish
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
[quote=bushbear]Fish checkers are not commissioned officers, but are there to gather biological data.

This answers my question.......

Would a person in a boat with fish caught, ever tell a Fish Checker, they caught no fish ????? Yep, been right there when they answered "no fish caught, never saw anyone catch one".......

How many people do this???? I don't know but if there is a correlation to the amount of people that don't turn in their punch cards, then it could be a large ratio......some years about 55% don't turn their cards in.

Page 12 under "You are required to:" last paragraph says "Return your Catch Record Card when you are done fishing or by the date printed on your card even if nothing was caught."

Why doesn't WDFW "higher ups", change this to a fine like with the crab license?????? Would be easy to do, with computer system, no card returned, add fine to license price.....then would have to pay to get new license.

I know they use punch card returns, just like "fish checker" information is used in fishery decisions.

Off my soap box....

WDFW needs to improve the way harvested fish are reported. I think most people are well intentioned but they forget to send it in several months after they're done fishing. I've been guilty of forgetting to send my CRC in more than once, but I've never not reported my big game tags -- probably because it's on my mind to do so at the time.

The ability to quickly report online or with a phone app on the same day fish were harvested would probably result in a much higher reporting rate.

#955056 - 03/31/16 09:04 AM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Add a Discover Pass and PS Crab endorsement and it's up to $122.65. My 70 yr old bud is laughing.

#955061 - 03/31/16 11:35 AM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

If they want me to provide them the service of reporting then they should pay me to do so.
Or does this joy ride only travel one-way???

#955069 - 03/31/16 12:13 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Heck, I'll settle for them simply not making me pay more (postage) to file my report....

#955071 - 03/31/16 12:25 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: TastySalmon]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater
Originally Posted By: TastySalmon
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
[quote=bushbear]Fish checkers are not commissioned officers, but are there to gather biological data.

This answers my question.......

Would a person in a boat with fish caught, ever tell a Fish Checker, they caught no fish ????? Yep, been right there when they answered "no fish caught, never saw anyone catch one".......

How many people do this???? I don't know but if there is a correlation to the amount of people that don't turn in their punch cards, then it could be a large ratio......some years about 55% don't turn their cards in.

Page 12 under "You are required to:" last paragraph says "Return your Catch Record Card when you are done fishing or by the date printed on your card even if nothing was caught."

Why doesn't WDFW "higher ups", change this to a fine like with the crab license?????? Would be easy to do, with computer system, no card returned, add fine to license price.....then would have to pay to get new license.

I know they use punch card returns, just like "fish checker" information is used in fishery decisions.

Off my soap box....

WDFW needs to improve the way harvested fish are reported. I think most people are well intentioned but they forget to send it in several months after they're done fishing. I've been guilty of forgetting to send my CRC in more than once, but I've never not reported my big game tags -- probably because it's on my mind to do so at the time.

The ability to quickly report online or with a phone app on the same day fish were harvested would probably result in a much higher reporting rate.
Do you tell he truth on your big game tag harvest location???

#955074 - 03/31/16 12:45 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I'm not playing now so I'm not paying now.

I couldn't cast a rod if I wanted to, let alone fight a fish.

This sucks. No steelhead season...no springer season....hopefully I'll get a line in the water and a fishing rod in my hand by this summer.

frown

#955083 - 03/31/16 02:36 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Short run pain, long term gain !!!

Hang in there !!! Kinda been there, with a knee replacement, my timing was April replacement, then lots of therapy and I was "about ready" for opening of summer run....but I had to run a rope down the path to the river. The replacement is good but still not good as the original. Therapy is the answer, I went every day, hurt got to be less and less.....the pills helped...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#955084 - 03/31/16 02:40 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
What Paker sez! Hoping for fall Kings.

fp

#955101 - 03/31/16 07:29 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: FleaFlickr02]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Heck, I'll settle for them simply not making me pay more (postage) to file my report....

.49 breaks the bank?

#955102 - 03/31/16 07:54 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: The Moderator]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Originally Posted By: paker
I'm not playing now so I'm not paying now.

I couldn't cast a rod if I wanted to, let alone fight a fish.

This sucks. No steelhead season...no springer season....hopefully I'll get a line in the water and a fishing rod in my hand by this summer.

frown

Trout season is coming up! Come on time to rehab that shoulder.

#955108 - 03/31/16 08:40 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hankster

How much is the fine for fishing without one?

nothing if you dont get caught... haven't been checked while fishing recently... only when razor clamming

#955112 - 03/31/16 09:36 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think I'm currently in the "waiting" boat with a lot of people out there. I would like to see what the WDFW plan will be before I decide to get licenses for my wife and myself.

That being said, even if the salt water is closed down, I still plan to get a fresh water license in order to take the boat to Lake Washington or other lakes to so some trout / kokanee fishing. It's tough to not want to go fishing. Especially with our beautiful summers..... Being on the water is the tits! We all know that.

Then again, at least I have summer hockey leagues to play on. That always makes life worth living. smile

#955146 - 04/01/16 11:53 AM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: fish4brains]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02

.49 breaks the bank?

It's the principle (although I see where my post made it seem like it was about the money). How many forms of voluntary mail correspondence do you know of that don't provide you a postage pre-paid envelope? I'm sure there are others, but I can only name one....

If a bulk postage rate (cheaper) is too much for them to shoulder (which I seriously doubt), just charge me an extra quarter on my license fees to make up the difference.

I VERY seldom buy stamps, because I VERY seldom need them. Having to go somewhere to buy a stamp makes sending it in harder than it should be, especially in a day when we should be able to submit our data, real time, electronically. We'd get more, better data, in a more timely fashion, and I would shut up about needing to buy a stamp.

#955154 - 04/01/16 01:46 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: Dogfish]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
You got off cheap. Add in 4 big game tags, special permits, and small game permits and stamps.

And a discover pass for some areas that don't say, "Or VAP"

I tried to get mine today, and the machine at Ace wasn't printing beathead

#955161 - 04/01/16 05:07 PM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
They should have an all-hours drop box at the downtown Olympia main office and at the regional offices if that's not asking too much, but I'm sure they'd rather just collect fines than making it more convenient.

#955180 - 04/02/16 10:46 AM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

My new license came in the mail the other day. This morning I got out my old one to use as the template so that I can cut and fold the yard-long new one just so, and it neatly fits in my wallet such that it comes up first with the salmon and steelhead catch record card. I hate paperwork, and I'm so pleased to now have the paperwork out of the way, as I plan where to go fishing Monday.

Sg

#955206 - 04/03/16 08:00 AM Re: PAY to PLAY [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

After a long day of yard work yesterday, I'm ready to hit a local, year-round lake today. Got the boat cleaned up and dug out some trusty trout bugs. All I need now is... gulp... my fishing license.

Looks like my holdout will last all of two days. That'll show 'em!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |