Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#955372 - 04/07/16 09:01 AM Lingcod Jig Weight - Area 9
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
This will be my first year targeting lingcod and will be doing so specifically in Area 9 given proximity to where I store my boat. I know that live bait is the preferred way to target these creatures, but I'm a firm believe in backup since more often than not, things never go as planned for me.

What jig head weight for curly tailed grubs/swimbaits do you guys typically use? I know it depends on tide, but a ballpark range would be great.

#955374 - 04/07/16 10:08 AM Re: Lingcod Jig Weight - Area 9 [Re: Cozmo]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I use mostly 6-8oz then match baits to jig head size. I like to fish heavier leadheads to reduce line splay once you get down in current. Cant wait to hit some local spots this year, and fish Neah in May.

Edited by Sky-Guy (04/07/16 10:10 AM)

#955424 - 04/08/16 08:00 AM Re: Lingcod Jig Weight - Area 9 [Re: Sky-Guy]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I'd suggest maybe 4-8 oz. as well. Lots of well-educated lings in A9. In my experience those smart lings prefer the live action, but it's always good to have somebody clanking a jig around down there, if anything to attract some attention to other folks' live bait on the boat. My suggestion would be to use the lightest possible jighead that you can get away with, and still stay in contact with bottom. Heavy ones that don't dance and flutter flat out won't get eaten by a smart ling, but a light fluttery one might.

Ocean lings are completely different in my mind. . .everything is down the hatch for those guys, and it doesn't really seem to matter. That's my .02, but YMMV,

fb

#955429 - 04/08/16 11:04 AM Re: Lingcod Jig Weight - Area 9 [Re: Cozmo]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
4oz is pretty much the starting point. I stick my box with primarily 6's and 8's but then again I mostly fish the San Juans with jigs. 4s for jigs should do for most A9 haunts.

I would highly recommend taking to the live bait game. The bottom is forgiving in 9 so snags are rare making live bait drift fishing possible.

We run 4-6 oz cannonballs on a slide-o then 3 foot leader to a live sand dab. Drop it to the bottom, reel up a few feet and drift it. It's killer.
I want to be a fisherman.

#955529 - 04/11/16 11:30 AM Re: Lingcod Jig Weight - Area 9 [Re: Cozmo]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Thanks for the info everyone. Live bait it is.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |