Three Rivers Marine

Page 21 of 39 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#957169 - 05/10/16 08:58 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I sincerely hope that after all is said and done DFW doesn't end up accepting a bad deal anyway just to "save the day". That's really what this feels like...
I want to be a fisherman.

#957171 - 05/10/16 09:04 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, hope springs eternal. I would rather the season be lost and the process be fixed than WDFW just cave. That said, compromise is not a dirty word, and it's possible that the impasse this year could provide some political capital toward changing the system even if we end up getting a deal done for this year.

#957172 - 05/10/16 09:14 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: MPM
Well, hope springs eternal. I would rather the season be lost and the process be fixed than WDFW just cave. That said, compromise is not a dirty word, and it's possible that the impasse this year could provide some political capital toward changing the system even if we end up getting a deal done for this year.

Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
I sincerely hope that after all is said and done DFW doesn't end up accepting a bad deal anyway just to "save the day". That's really what this feels like...

I am loaded with equal parts of these sentiments right now.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#957176 - 05/10/16 09:50 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Amen. Unless it's a better deal, NO DEAL.

I think the fallacy of the notion of "Co-management" of a resource by competing interests has finally been brought to light. It was inevitable that this would happen the first time there weren't enough available impacts to support both interests. This season has reaffirmed (in my mind) two things I have long thought:

1. Co-management only "works" as long as everybody gets to play, and when it does "work," the outcomes usually don't look like products of genuine concern for conservation (let alone recovery), on either side.
2. Yet again, too many impacts have been allocated to mixed stock ocean fisheries, mostly north of our border. Things won't improve until that changes.

#957178 - 05/10/16 09:54 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
If there was an ounce of transparency to this process, I might have an update for you.

#957179 - 05/10/16 11:44 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: MPM]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: MPM
I would rather the season be lost and the process be fixed than WDFW just cave.

100%

#957203 - 05/10/16 05:13 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
If there was an ounce of transparency to this process, I might have an update for you.

So do you know if they were really meeting or not at least?

#957208 - 05/10/16 06:16 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
They are definitely meeting

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/an-optimistic-turn-in-puget-sound-salmon-impasse/

I too think our long term prospects (as well as the fish) might benefit from an impasse this year.

#957222 - 05/11/16 05:18 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Too big of a compromise on our part this year breeds a large compromise next year. Even with a large return of fish there will be a stock of concern to derail fishing.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#957223 - 05/11/16 07:18 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I think we compromised by giving up area 10 last year. This year would make two In a row. JG is a 100% right about what we can count on in the future.

All this talk of compromise has our permit application sitting idle while they see what happens.

#957224 - 05/11/16 07:47 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Protographer Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Monroe, WA
New poster here, thanks for all you have educated me on the past several years. I sent my support to the director. Although I'd love to fish this year, I'd rather see us become independent of the tribes ESA permits.

Hope it helps to hear from common folk

"Director Unsworth, I heard a news report yesterday that the department and tribes were close on a settlement regarding PS salmon fishing. I fully support your previous position and standing fast for the non-tribal interests. I urge you to not give away the farm during these negotiations, even if it means putting a hold on fishing for the season. No one person or group in our society should hold all the cards, unfortunately a good majority of the deck seems to be given away in the treaty's of the 1850's. Unfortunately Governor Stevens didn't seem to fully understand what he was giving away or fore sight to see the rapid depletion of fish from over harvest and waste (started by non-tribal in the late 1800's and continues to this day by both sides.) All anyone at the time could see was fish forever, unfortunately we did not learn from the decimation of the buffalo herds or many others that was taking place during the time. I'm sure that what we have today as co-managers is not what was intended by the authors of the treaties. I fully support your stance in this matter and hope that you continue to stand your ground and let the tribes know that they need to give as much as they take.
Regardless of the outcome of this current stalemate (I use that term loosely as the tribes do not seem to be affected much at all, and seem to have been well prepared for this situation), I hope that you continue to pursue our own permits/authorization from NOAA so that we are independent of the tribes and are not reliant on piggybacking on their permits as co-managers. Surely everyone agrees that NOF process is broken and we should never allow ourselves to be in this situation again.
When NOAA is evaluating NT fishing they should be made well aware that sport fishers are required to go to great lengths to avoid lethal impacts on ESA fish through run timing, barb-less hooks , non removal from water and selective gear rules and commercial fishers impacts are limited through gear rules, run timing, and recovery boxes. NT fishers are closely monitored by on board monitors on the commercial side and enforcement officers (as well as fellow sport fishers) on the rec side.
In contrast tribal fishers use gill nets that kill everything, wild and hatchery, for most of their commercial fishing and their "sports fishers" regularly use weighted treble hooks. The enforcement is self reporting with very little monitoring. Both sides should have the ability to closely monitor each other if we are ever going to be able to co-manage the resource.

Thanks for considering my thoughts,"

Edited by Protographer (05/11/16 07:57 AM)

#957226 - 05/11/16 08:12 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: luckydogss]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: luckydogss
IAll this talk of compromise has our permit application sitting idle while they see what happens.

What makes you think that?

#957227 - 05/11/16 08:56 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Protographer]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Originally Posted By: Protographer
New poster here, thanks for all you have educated me on the past several years. I sent my support to the director. Although I'd love to fish this year, I'd rather see us become independent of the tribes ESA permits.

Hope it helps to hear from common folk

"Director Unsworth, I heard a news report yesterday that the department and tribes were close on a settlement regarding PS salmon fishing. I fully support your previous position and standing fast for the non-tribal interests. I urge you to not give away the farm during these negotiations, even if it means putting a hold on fishing for the season. No one person or group in our society should hold all the cards, unfortunately a good majority of the deck seems to be given away in the treaty's of the 1850's. Unfortunately Governor Stevens didn't seem to fully understand what he was giving away or fore sight to see the rapid depletion of fish from over harvest and waste (started by non-tribal in the late 1800's and continues to this day by both sides.) All anyone at the time could see was fish forever, unfortunately we did not learn from the decimation of the buffalo herds or many others that was taking place during the time. I'm sure that what we have today as co-managers is not what was intended by the authors of the treaties. I fully support your stance in this matter and hope that you continue to stand your ground and let the tribes know that they need to give as much as they take.
Regardless of the outcome of this current stalemate (I use that term loosely as the tribes do not seem to be affected much at all, and seem to have been well prepared for this situation), I hope that you continue to pursue our own permits/authorization from NOAA so that we are independent of the tribes and are not reliant on piggybacking on their permits as co-managers. Surely everyone agrees that NOF process is broken and we should never allow ourselves to be in this situation again.
When NOAA is evaluating NT fishing they should be made well aware that sport fishers are required to go to great lengths to avoid lethal impacts on ESA fish through run timing, barb-less hooks , non removal from water and selective gear rules and commercial fishers impacts are limited through gear rules, run timing, and recovery boxes. NT fishers are closely monitored by on board monitors on the commercial side and enforcement officers (as well as fellow sport fishers) on the rec side.
In contrast tribal fishers use gill nets that kill everything, wild and hatchery, for most of their commercial fishing and their "sports fishers" regularly use weighted treble hooks. The enforcement is self reporting with very little monitoring. Both sides should have the ability to closely monitor each other if we are ever going to be able to co-manage the resource.

Thanks for considering my thoughts,"

Amen..........

#957228 - 05/11/16 09:00 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: MPM]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I could be totally wrong about the permit application sitting idle while we negotiate but if we compromise, there's no need for our own permit. It would seem logical that effort would be on the back burner while they see what happens.
WDFW said they would "try" to get the application in last week. Did that ever happen? Anybody know what the status is?

#957229 - 05/11/16 09:05 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: luckydogss]
MPM Offline
Spawner

I can't claim to have experience in this type of administrative process, but I would expect that the permit process would proceed full speed ahead unless/until there is an agreed joint application between the state and the tribes. It's crazy to do it otherwise in such a time-sensitive case (then again, I think WDFW should have been ready to file an independent permit application the moment talks broke down). Certainly in a litigation context (not quite the same thing, I know) it is normal to proceed with the adversarial proceeding while still trying to reach a settlement.

I believe WDFW submitted its permit application May 6 (I think that's what I read).

Edited by MPM (05/11/16 09:06 AM)

#957237 - 05/11/16 11:41 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

this has been bugging me since you posted it, at first it was because i didnt really understand what you were saying.... now i kinda understand, and its BS...

this is from an article recently posted by the PI...

"At the meeting state fishery managers offered an alternative proposal for sport fisheries with a 50 percent harvest cut on an expected poor Puyallup River return of 353 wild chinook and 3,708 hatchery fish.

The state cuts included a Carbon River sport fishery closure of two months during peak chinook arrival time; closing salmon fishing in south-central Puget Sound – known as Marine Catch Area 11 in the Tacoma area – from November through January; and a Commencement Bay closure.

These reductions come on top of those already made for an expected poor Puget Sound wild coho return.

A few days before the meeting, the tribes issued two additional packages the state needed to agree on in order to come to terms. Each included a much larger cut to the sport fishing package.

One tribal proposal called for a total sport fishing closure in the Puyallup and Carbon rivers; close the entire salmon season in south-central Puget Sound; close the hatchery-marked selective fishery in central Puget Sound from mid-July to mid-August; and a hatchery chinook catch quota reduction in northern Puget Sound from 3,260 to 2,500. The tribes offered to reduce their netting time on the Puyallup to just six hours of fishing, which is similar to recent years."

now heres what im talking about... "low return" is BS, the wild fish are right around what they usually are i think, maybe a few more fish, but the hatchery returns are fairly HIGHER than previous years (yes i know its an estimate that could swing lower, or even higher)...

all numbers are taken from Dec 31st as to make sure all Kings returned to Voights:

2015 : 2884 Adults, 1009 Jacks

2014: 2659 Adults, 65 Jacks

2013: 1571 Adults, 26 Jacks

2012: 966 Adults, 147 Jacks

2011: 2320 Adults, 51 Jacks

2010: 2359 Adults, N/A Jacks

2009: 3042 Adults, 18 Jacks

2008: 3096 Adults, 44 Jacks

2007: 4464 Adults, 135 Jacks

2006: 4629 Adults, 605 Jacks

as you can see, with the exception of 06 and 07, this years run of Kings is expected to be greater than any of the last 10 years... so how is that "low numbers"... they did the same sh!t last year when they said there was "no Coho", yet Voights got back 6100+ fish, year before, 6500...

basically what im sucking up from this, and thinking what you meant SG, is that they want the fish, and thats that.... they will make up bullsh!t statements that can be proven wrong historically as they are marked on the WDFW site, all while practicing what they always have for the last god knows how many years....

GREED.....

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/posit...rticle_left_1.1

#957243 - 05/11/16 12:44 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: 5 * General Evo]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Evo
basically what im sucking up from this, and thinking what you meant SG, is that they want the fish, and thats that....

If you are just now realizing this. I feel sorry for you.

This debate and "imapsse" has never been about the fish. It wasn't in 2015 when the Muk's demanded A10 closed, and only 2k fish harvested in 9..... and it wasn't back in the day they demanded the closure of Elliott Bay, and (surprise surprise) it still IS NOT about conservation, or even the existing fish models. It's about wanting it ALL for THEMSELVES. You're correct, it's greed.

I fail to see how an argument could be made to close A11 Blackmouth fishing.... the tribes have HATED our blackmouth fishery, immemorial. Because THEY can't kill those fish in their nets. Maybe if the learned how to actually fvcking fish they wouldn't be so butthurt.

#957246 - 05/11/16 01:00 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i kinda wanted to give the benefit of doubt, but now i see i was just blinding myself with an illusion that i already knew the answer to....

if they wanted to protect the Wild Chinook, they wouldnt have their nets in the river during the meat of the run.....

but they will, because they dont care about the numbers, the only number they care about is the abundance (considering the last 10 years), of HATCHERY fish that i and you all paid for by buying your licenses....

if they close the Carbon and Puy to sport fishing during the time that the Kings come in, they wont stop netting, and even at 6 hours per day (like they are doing some god sent favor), they will rake every available fish out of that river system just like they always do.....

#957248 - 05/11/16 01:12 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
The last minute add ons by the tribes is what pisses me off about this whole process.
They want the state to bargain in good faith yet applied for their permit early and now add more restrictions on recreation anglers.
I'd rather have the state tell them to pound sand then accept a [Bleeeeep!] agreement.
SF

#957250 - 05/11/16 01:18 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: stonefish]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
Originally Posted By: stonefish
The last minute add ons by the tribes is what pisses me off about this whole process.
They want the state to bargain in good faith yet applied for their permit early and now add more restrictions on recreation anglers.
I'd rather have the state tell them to pound sand then accept a [Bleeeeep!] agreement.
SF

+1

Page 21 of 39 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38 39 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |