Page 64 of 202 < 1 2 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 201 202 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#955891 - 04/18/16 07:41 AM Re: J F C ! ! ! *** [Re: jgreen]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: jgreen
Opening the Satsop in October makes no sense...why open later when the wild fish encounters go up? I usually don't start encountering a good number of will Coho until Mid October. The last two years have seen plenty of fish in the usual opening around September 15th. Besides river levels, whats the advantage to opening later? Just curious.

I don't ever want to see a season like 2015....close Chehalis, mid October-December 16, Wynoochee completely closed, Wishkah, Humptulips, Satsop, closed in the lower part of the river....left open where the majority of fish needed protection.......grrrrrrrrrrrr

I like the season the way it is setup.....everyone feels a bit of the pain. Guess if you don't like the GHMP and the season the way its setup, move to King County and enjoy, maybe, no salmon fishing!!!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (04/18/16 07:43 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#955959 - 04/19/16 07:33 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

So who can interpret this clause in the setting of no coho-directed and no chinook-directed gillnetting in 2A/2D.

"No fisheries directed at chum salmon shall occur unless the adult coho salmon return exceeds spawner objectives, or if coho salmon impacts remain after coho and Chinook salmon fisheries."

The only logical reason to put this provision in the policy is to prevent commercial exploitation of coho in a down year under the guise of "chum fishing". This is clearly a down year for coho and so the spirit /intent of this provision should be upheld.

Every other part of the policy makes reference to 110% of goal to create a little buffer for management error. This is clearly a year where the co-managers have accepted that wild GH coho will come in at less than 110% of goal (i.e. no harvestable surplus as the run is essentially at or below e-goal). My interpretation is that this clause in the policy means there should be NO CHUM-DIRECTED NETTING in state-managed fisheries.

What do you think?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#955992 - 04/20/16 06:37 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

I have several questions and that was the one at the top of the list. No idea as to how they stuck the three Chum net days in.

No idea on how the Chehalis tribal catch is modeled at near 800 fish.

No idea why the bay fishery modeled at 270 Coho and NT nets three days on Chum went for 590 Coho impacts.

A whole bunch of questions are out and about but few answers from staff at the moment.

#956783 - 05/04/16 06:06 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

OK folks this is from Region 6 / Mike and is what will be filed for the CR 102 for the 2016 season WAC. More later but digest this first.

Hi All,

Attached is a summary of the proposed salmon fishing package for GH and the associated planning model. We hope to have the CR 102s filed this week. If that doesn’t happen, the next filing date is May 18th. The planning model was updated from the last model I sent with the most recent Coho FRAM run. Changes to ocean fisheries resulted in a few more Coho crossing the bar, but no changes to the fisheries.

There has been some concern that the model has issues. I am available to meet with anyone to discuss any model issues you have.

Thank you all for helping during this tuff year.

Mike

2016 Grays Harbor Fall Non-Treaty Terminal Area Planning Model
2016 Runsize with 2016 Public proposal, Preliminary and Subject to Change 032416
Model Run Description Preseason planning 03/24/2016
PFMC Option # 2
FRAM Run # 1617

Fishery Description
Sport
Marine 2.2 Dates Bag Limit
Area 2D only Oct 1-Nov 30 1 Adult bag: release wild Chinook
Area 2C only Aug 1 - Sept 24 2 adults, release wild oho.

Chehalis River Mouth to Hwy 6 April 16 - June 30 1 Adult bag:
Chehalis River Mouth to Porter Aug 1-Sept 15 : Release adult salmon
Sept 16-Jan 31 1 Adult bag: Release wild Chinook and wild Coho

Chehalis River Porter up to High Bridge Sept 16-Jan 31 1 Adult bag: Release wild Chinook and wild Coho
0 0
Hwy 6 to high bridge

Hoquiam Closed 0

Wishkah Oct 1-Dec 31 1 Adult bag: release Chinook and wild Coho

Wynoochee Oct 1-Nov 30 1 Adult bag: Release Chinook and wild Coho

Satsop Sept 16-Dec 31 1 Adult bag: Release wild Chinook and wild Coho
0 0

Black River Closed 0

Skookumchuck Oct. 1-Dec 31 1 Adult bag: release Chinook and wild Coho

Newaukum Oct. 1-Dec 31 1 Adult bag: release Chinook and wild Coho

Elk and Johns Closed 0

Humptulips River FW Sept. 1-Sept 30 2 Adult bag: 1 may be a wild Chinook, release wild Coho
Oct 1-Nov 15 2 Adult bag: 1 may be a Chinook, release wild Coho
Nov 16-Jan 31 1 Adult bag: release Chinook and wild Coho
Commercial Dates # days Details
Area 2A/2D Oct 24,25, and 26 3 7:00am to 7:00pm 12 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Chinook

Area 2C Oct 17 and 18 2 6:30am to 10:30pm 16 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Coho
Oct 30 and 31 2 7:00am to 7:00pm 12 hr days, live boxes, short soak, release wild Coho
Hi All,

Attached is a summary of the proposed salmon fishing package for GH and the associated planning model. We hope to have the CR 102s filed this week. If that doesn’t happen, the next filing date is May 18th. The planning model was updated from the last model I sent with the most recent Coho FRAM run. Changes to ocean fisheries resulted in a few more Coho crossing the bar, but no changes to the fisheries.

There has been some concern that the model has issues. I am available to meet with anyone to discuss any model issues you have.

Thank you all for helping during this tuff year.

#956788 - 05/04/16 07:20 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
So there's going to be late coho gillnetting under the guise of a chum fishery? And release wild coho? out of a gillnet? [Bleeeeep!]

#956789 - 05/04/16 07:25 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: fish4brains]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Late Coho do not show in models until Dec 1. The fall Coho are what is known as normal timed with two components & the early part is from hatchery influence over the years and the Nov portion is similar to the Native Coho timing. The NT Nets will be netting the middle of the Normal timed Coho, give or take a bit. Now the release bit on the 2C NT Net fishery I am with you as Coho will not do well any how by anyone when transitioning from salt to fresh.

Edited by Rivrguy (05/04/16 07:41 AM)

#956794 - 05/04/16 08:25 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

The need to:

1. Eliminate NT gill netting in Chehalis(2 A & D)/Humptulips (2C). NO NEED TO HAVE 3 gill nets seasons. QIN, Chehalis, and NT....low man out.

2. We keep playing games...if WDFW wants to keep NT fishing, 100% fish friendly gear or you don't fish.

There is NO EASY answer but clearly the present program has flaws, and wild Coho on both the Humptulips and tributaries to the Chehalis system and indeed the Chehalis itself need additional protection.

#956837 - 05/04/16 06:28 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: fish4brains]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: fish4brains
So there's going to be late coho gillnetting under the guise of a chum fishery? And release wild coho? out of a gillnet? [Bleeeeep!]

NO... the fugger's'll be keeping them wild coho outright.

The TRHEE days of gillnetting in the Chehalis is designated a CHUM fishery.

Interestingly enough, the GH Policy expressly forbids a chum-directed fishery when there is a conservation concern for coho.... yet staff insists on including it in the non-treaty (state) schedule.

Let's hit 'em hard at the CR102 hearing, folks.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#956840 - 05/04/16 07:40 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
fish4brains Offline

ok, the live boxes and releasing wild coho is in 2C. They get to gillnet coho in the Chehalis this year, keeping the wild ones we are trying desperately to protect. everybody should remember the video from a few years ago where the bastards were shaking fish out of their net that they had to release instead of handling them carefully and being stewards of the resource like they claim to be. Also, Not sure why there is more than one commercial fishery in the Chehalis, the tribes provide plenty of fish for the market.

#956843 - 05/04/16 11:01 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
[

Let's hit 'em hard at the CR102 hearing, folks.

Did I miss the date????? Place?????? Time???????

#956844 - 05/04/16 11:30 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Filed either earlier today or May 18.

Hearing sometime thereafter.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#956845 - 05/05/16 06:25 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

mmmmmm, Why file then have the hearing?????? Seems "ass backward" to me. WDFW knows now there are questions, seems like a "smart agency" would tie up the loose ends before the CR102 is filed.

I wanta know why NT are allow retention of Wild Coho, at any time in GH!!!!

No retention for Coho on any sport fishery.....why the double standard?????

#956846 - 05/05/16 06:51 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

The APA process requires the 30 day comment period and the agency can use comments or not. It is purely a legal requirement. I do not recall any significant changes ever after the CR 102 is filed.

Lets get this straight, it is about impacts. Nets could release Coho but most would be dead with phony mortality rates. The keep is the cleanest way to insure accurate impact numbers and get the nets in and out. Now that the three days of NT Nets is eating up a huge number of the marine impacts ( A & D ) is another discussion.

As to Rec retention of NOR Coho you would likely be off the water in mid Oct to Jan 1 in river if we did the retain NOR thing.

#956848 - 05/05/16 07:16 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
fish4brains Offline

A year like this should have no NT netting period. Not sure why the state continues this form of welfare at the cost of creating further distrust with the sportfishing community who provide so many more dollars into the economy.

#956855 - 05/05/16 09:28 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Gillnetting in October, when coho are the species of concern.... quality management right there. Of course, if the Cowboys didn't get those three days, the QIN would have taken four....

I'd really like to see a plan for in-season management, where we only get to fish after wild coho escapements are assured, but we know that won't happen, because it would all but assure no NT gillnet fishery would be allowed. With that, I think we should think carefully about whether we want to fish at all past September (assuming we wouldn't be shut down by then anyway). It seems very likely that, between WDFW's welfare fishery and the QIN's perennial slaughter, coho will miss escapement again this year. That would make 2 years in a row, leaving only one strike for the next three years before the GHMP penalty box comes into play, prolonging our inability to harvest wild coho for several more years. I don't think we want to afford the co-managers any way to lump sport fishers in as one of the user groups doing their share of the damage. Personally, I'd rather sit this one out and focus on a massive PR smearing of the Tribe and the NT gillnetters, who would be the only entities harvesting fish in a year of tremendous peril, and therefore in a rather indefensible position, should coho miss escapement again. It's time for the gloves to come off. We'd have to take the first punch on the chin, and it would hurt, but it's time we stopped giving the liars and cheats who manage our fisheries an out when THEY screw the fish over.

I say, let's get after hatchery kings early, then get the heck off the water before whatever wild coho are coming show up in earnest. If coho show in the numbers expected, fishing will suck, big time, so we won't be missing much. Let the other guys handle the abusive, irresponsible $hit, and make them pay in public perception.

#956860 - 05/05/16 11:24 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
It seems very likely that, between WDFW's welfare fishery and the QIN's perennial slaughter, coho will miss escapement again this year. That would make 2 years in a row, leaving only one strike for the next three years before the GHMP penalty box comes into play, prolonging our inability to harvest wild coho for several more years.

We are effectively in "penalty box" mode due to the poor run-size forecast ... max 5% impact cap for 2016.

The same WILL happen again in 2017 when coho are a repeat NO SHOW (yes, even worse than this year!) and we again manage for a 5% impact cap on a runsize that will NOT make e-goal.

At that point, we will have missed e-goal for 15, 16, and 17. That's when the REAL penalty box kicks in. Policy would then prohibit wild coho-directed fisheries for 18 and 19. If all goes well for ocean conditions beyond 2017, the earliest we would get to fish for wild Chehalis-origin coho would be 2020. That's only IF the ocean turns the corner in 2017. Wouldn't hold my breath for that just yet.

Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#956863 - 05/05/16 12:12 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
It seems very likely that, between WDFW's welfare fishery and the QIN's perennial slaughter, coho will miss escapement again this year. That would make 2 years in a row, leaving only one strike for the next three years before the GHMP penalty box comes into play, prolonging our inability to harvest wild coho for several more years.

We are effectively in "penalty box" mode due to the poor run-size forecast ... max 5% impact cap for 2016.

The same WILL happen again in 2017 when coho are a repeat NO SHOW (yes, even worse than this year!) and we again manage for a 5% impact cap on a runsize that will NOT make e-goal.

At that point, we will have missed e-goal for 15, 16, and 17. That's when the REAL penalty box kicks in. Policy would then prohibit wild coho-directed fisheries for 18 and 19. If all goes well for ocean conditions beyond 2017, the earliest we would get to fish for wild Chehalis-origin coho would be 2020. That's only IF the ocean turns the corner in 2017. Wouldn't hold my breath for that just yet.

Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news.

Better put. Thank you... and damn you for confirming my fears!

This is really bad, but if sport fishing is as severely limited as it promises to be over the next few years, the golden goose (us) will eventually cease to lay. I strongly suspect that tightening up the purse strings will heighten WDFW's sense of priority regarding recreational fishing. That's when things will change, if there are still any fish left to fight over.

#956864 - 05/05/16 12:14 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'll bet the jet sled and drift boat market is starting to heavily favor buyers about now....

#956871 - 05/05/16 12:46 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
Gillnetting in October, when coho are the species of concern.... quality management right there. Of course, if the Cowboys didn't get those three days, the QIN would have taken four....

Ah no.............. the QIN have been taking advantage of the GHMP 3/5 limiting our ( state ) Chinook impacts when we have had the most havestable Chinook in recent memory. If you look to the preseason model with the run reconstruction the QIN passed on a lot of Coho harvest recently but were quite happy to take what we ( state ) passed on in Chinook. So QIN blowing things apart is a bit off. Now that they not playing nice, one could make that case as well as they have restrained themselves. It is a matter of perspective to be sure.

As strong as supporter of the GHMP I must say it is flawed in three areas and the 3/5 clause being the most blatant. The fact that the Commission did not address it ( and staff refused to bring it forward to them at inception despite knowing of the problem even when I and others raised the issue) set this chain of events in motion. What Doc outlined could happen as well as the GHMP being modified which is more likely to happen next year. The question will likely be if we can save the good from thrown out with the bad.

Oh yeah I read a article that TRM cancelled 2 million in new orders.
http://thelens.news/2016/05/03/state-tri...season-for-now/

Edited by Rivrguy (05/05/16 12:48 PM)

#956873 - 05/05/16 12:58 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Ok. I picked the wrong spot to take another jab at the Tribe. My post was not really aimed at the Tribe, so I should have restrained myself.

Page 64 of 202 < 1 2 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 201 202 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1007 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |