Page 5 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#956018 - 04/20/16 10:40 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: BW]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:
My understanding is that Dir. Unsworth has the full support of Gov. Inslee for everything he has done thus far. "

Oh I go 50 / 50 on that one with JT in the mix. The one I have not figured out is what Bob Turner did around some meeting or process with the tribe that the Director was not to be ( intended or not the question ) present. That one I find puzzling but about right for the Feds.

#956022 - 04/20/16 11:35 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
It seems like the courts have already decided who has the rights to the fish. The recs have been cornered and not even a politician can fix it.

I think it's time to legalize gambling in WA. That would be a fight we would have a chance at winning and would bankrupt the tribes.

#956028 - 04/20/16 03:14 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
What you wont read in the news releases are how the meeting went down yesterday.

The story I have heard second hand is that the meeting started with the Puyallup Tribe representative standing up and saying there would be zero sportfishing allowed in the Puyallup River and no sportfishing anywhere in PS should have any impacts on Puyallup Chinook this year.

Then The Muckleshoot Tribe stood up and demanded no Fishing in MA 10, and only in the northern half of MA9 for Chinook only(this is new) and no fishing in Elliot Bay, the Lake, etc.

Director Unsworth then got up and said (and I paraphrase) I guess we dont have anything to discuss here after hearing those ultimatums, and the meeting adjourned.

We must all stand behind the Director and WDFW staff 100% for saying "No Deal" to completely unreasonable demands!

Maybe the press would be interested in printing the truth?

#956031 - 04/20/16 03:46 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
How this will affect the rivers, like spring salmon in the Quileute??? And in the ocean, at LaPush???

#956034 - 04/20/16 07:25 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Terry Roth]
Brent K Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Washington
I also wonder if this will affect marine area 7. I know Canadian stocks (not ESA listed) make up a large percentage of the salmon caught here during the summer and fall, especially in the outer islands. The southern and eastern portions of 7 are already closed for most of the summer to protect Skagit and Nooksack chinook but I am probably being too optimistic to hope the rest of 7 will be open with a normal season. Does anyone have any insight on area 7?

#956043 - 04/20/16 09:33 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Pretty sure this shuts down MA7 frown

But not the ocean or coastal cricks. LaPush will fish July 1 if I'm not mistaken.

fb

#956050 - 04/21/16 07:28 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Todd]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Quote:
Tom Nelson from the Outdoor Line talked to the Governor's Office on a conference call yesterday and was told just that the Governor supports Dir. Unsworth in walking away from the table and going straight to NOAA-F.

Quote:
The story I have heard second hand is that the meeting started with the Puyallup Tribe representative standing up and saying there would be zero sportfishing allowed in the Puyallup River and no sportfishing anywhere in PS should have any impacts on Puyallup Chinook this year.

Then The Muckleshoot Tribe stood up and demanded no Fishing in MA 10, and only in the northern half of MA9 for Chinook only(this is new) and no fishing in Elliot Bay, the Lake, etc.
Director Unsworth then got up and said (and I paraphrase) I guess we dont have anything to discuss here after hearing those ultimatums, and the meeting adjourned.

Tom Nelson has stated on the Outdoor line show that the tribes have been invited to the show to hear their side of the story but to no avail so far.

Considering what has happen in past NOF negotiations with the tribes apparently not bargaining in good faith with last minute shenanigan and now these demands, it is good to hear that the governor and many sport anglers do back Director Unsworth and not surprised the tribes have declined up to this point to go on the air to defend their behavior/actions.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#956055 - 04/21/16 09:26 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I know that the tribal reps have been offered airtime on Northwest Wild Country to come and explain their actions and thoughts, too, but refuse every time.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#956122 - 04/22/16 06:50 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
IS area 6 still open, until 1 May???

#956132 - 04/23/16 08:13 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
MA 6 is closed. MA 5 is still open.

Edited by bushbear (04/23/16 08:14 AM)

#956142 - 04/23/16 03:03 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It is quite a poker game going on between the state and tribal co-managers.

Going into this upcoming Wednesday’s meeting, both are holding virtually the same hand of no fishing for salmon in Puget Sound without an agreement or both going it alone in applying for permits separately without the agreement.

NOAA’s letter has pitfalls from top to bottom of the letter showing possible processes with these being time consuming, which can leave both sides sitting on the beach this year.

It should be interesting to see if the tribes continue to bluff a better hand, with an all in bet this time around instead of negotiating in good faith and also seeing if WDFW will continue to call their hand instead of folding.

It is a high stakes game with plenty to lose for both sides. A FAIR compromise leading to an agreement leading to splitting the pot is better than nothing. FAIR and splitting, and not the same ol’ stuff, being the optimal words.

#956160 - 04/23/16 08:58 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
State/recreationals finally have the will to walk away, which makes it really interesting to watch!

#956178 - 04/24/16 12:30 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hi All

So a few questions.

I know what no agreement means to the Sound fishing but what about the rivers. Listening to the KIRO Outdoor Line POD Cast, the Rep from Northwest Marine Trade Association indicated it would most likely close rivers as well.

Does that mean No Fishing for Skagit Sockeye, Sky Kings, Skok Kings, Samish Kings etc? Runs that have no problems and per Mill Creek NOF meeting have seasons planned.

#956180 - 04/24/16 12:53 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

NO DEAL includes the rivers.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#956181 - 04/24/16 01:29 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It may also include no "trout" fishing in those rivers. Appears it will knock out the sea-run cutt fishery in the salt due to incidental take of Chinook, even in a C&R situation.

#956182 - 04/24/16 02:11 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
So is it okay if us Recreational fishermen stand on the shore, without fishing gear of course, and wave to the tribal boats as they head out to fish?

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#956184 - 04/24/16 02:18 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
River Nutrients

Should also sing "Kumbaya" as they go out. And remember to buy fish from them.

#956187 - 04/24/16 03:51 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
If I don't wave with all 5 fingers is it a hate crime?

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#956202 - 04/25/16 05:33 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

So, the Puget Sound tribal commercial fishermen are on board with their leadership putting their season in jeopardy this year?
The NOAA letter clearly states that could be the case considering what NOAA would need going forward into these uncharted waters.

If the tribes want to continue with ultimatums instead of compromise to set the seasons in Puget Sound--- NO DEAL!

#956205 - 04/25/16 06:45 AM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
River Nutrients

The Tribes believe that the Feds, because NOAA has the twin obligations for ESA and the Indian Treaties, will find a way for them to fish. It may be convoluted, but they'll find a way.

Note that in his letter, if memory serves, that Turner said approval for the Tribal fisheries might come after the fisheries. It didn't say after they were scheduled to occur, it said after the fisheries.

This situation sets up an very interesting legal fight. Essentially, what law is supreme. ESA or Treaty. One has to be supreme. Either conservation or fishing. I doubt that NOAA or the Tribes really want to litigate that, and WDFW probably deep i its soul (assuming one exists) doesn't either.

If ESA is superior, then habitat had better be protected and restored now, not in 50 or 75 years when the "budget is better. Plus, the issue of growth and development will run flat into conservation and if conservation is the Law of the Land..... On the other hand, if the Treaties are superior I see loss of all habitat protection and interest because the tribes gotta fish and the state can just give over the fish to the tribes and let the have them while the state grows. Plus, hatcheries will greatly expand.

Page 5 of 39 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38 39 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |