Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#956224 - 04/25/16 01:38 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Eric, Is WDFW already working with a consulting firm on the CRC app engineering, UX design and development? If not, I'd love to throw my hat into that ring.

I've got some great ideas around additional functionality that would drive adoption and usage as well as getting sponsors to pay for it.

Dan Meyer, Director of Digital Strategy, Fresh Consulting

And, I'll take last century's fish over this century's apps any day!

#956229 - 04/25/16 02:37 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: OceanSun]
Eric Kraig Offline
Fry

Ocean Sun,

I pm'd you. Thanks!

- Eric

#956230 - 04/25/16 02:43 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: _WW_]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Lots of reason for privacy issues, not the least of which is that cell phones are basically computers these days and have all sorts of information. Law enforcement cannot search a cell phone without first obtaining a warrant.

#956259 - 04/26/16 12:43 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: wsu]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Mailed mine in today in typical Knuckle-dragger fashion, just like the last 42 years....not a big deal...thank you for hanging around these parts Mr. Kraig thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#956272 - 04/26/16 04:28 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: NOFISH]
jam session Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Goodwin
Yeah, mailed mine today too. Would much prefer doing it online/phone and don't see why enforcement access could not be a condition of purchase. Mailing it in is inconvenient, but not a big deal. My biggest complaint is with the thermal paper media. Dissolves in the rain and difficult to write on in outdoor conditions. No problem at all when I'm in my buddies heated hard top cabin cruiser but a PIA when in the driftboat, open sled or wading.

#956275 - 04/26/16 06:31 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Eric Kraig]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Eric,

Thanks for chiming in, I wouldn't mind if you did it more often. Your comment about being inconsistent with respect to the $10 fee for not reporting crab but no fee for not returning your CRC helped me see the process a little better. I had always thought the inconsistency was silly but given how you describe it, I surely appreciate the inconsistency!

Ted

Edited by TedR (04/26/16 06:31 PM)

#956276 - 04/26/16 06:36 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: _WW_]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Originally Posted By: _WW_
Originally Posted By: Eric Kraig
And if he doesn't want to? Little privacy issue there...

How can there be a privacy issue with seeing a digital catch record card as opposed to a paper one?

Cripes-a-Mighty! They do it with proof of insurance cards!
Quit trying to make this harder than it needs to be...

Are we going to have to drag you kicking and screaming into the 21st century?

Because we can handle it with technology doesn't mean we should. If you really are in the 21st century you would be aware of the myriad of ways this could go wrong, such as the CRC app leaking data in or out, intentionally or not, to name just one.

#956278 - 04/26/16 06:49 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Mailed ours via snail mail. Wutz a smart phone?

fp

#956281 - 04/26/16 08:35 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
Piper
Unregistered

sent in a pdf by email...

kinda curious if mine will get counted...

#956294 - 04/27/16 06:08 AM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: TedR]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: TedR

Because we can handle it with technology doesn't mean we should. If you really are in the 21st century you would be aware of the myriad of ways this could go wrong, such as the CRC app leaking data in or out, intentionally or not, to name just one.

Life is full of risks, don't be cowed by the fear.

#956295 - 04/27/16 06:33 AM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
Eric Kraig Offline
Fry

Piper,

We'll count it if we get it! (Although PDFs are kind of a PITA.) What e-mail address did you send it to to?

Both online fish reporting and the CRC app will be coming, it just won't be as soon as most of us would like.

It's funny to see how quickly snail mail has gone out of fashion. Some people will go to great lengths to avoid putting stamp to envelope, like driving for 30 miles to a regional office to drop off their card, or spending twenty minutes copying their catch into an Excel spreadsheet and e-mailing it in. All to save forty-seven cents.

- Eric

#956296 - 04/27/16 06:39 AM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Then there are us fossils who don't want apps or a smart phone or ..... Snail mail is still a highlight of the day.

#956297 - 04/27/16 06:52 AM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Carcassman]
Eric Kraig Offline
Fry

I know! Walking to the mailbox gets me out of the house, right?

These millennial kids, though - take away their smart phones and they wiggle around fearfully, like hermit crabs without their shells... grin

#956298 - 04/27/16 07:12 AM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
I kept track on a notched stick, can I send that in?

#956300 - 04/27/16 07:38 AM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Was recently in Costa Rica and was so nice to see people walking around where you could actually see their faces rather than the tops of their heads as they have their eyes glued to their phone. And, damn few walking around with earphones.

#956346 - 04/27/16 09:14 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'd rather report electronically. Crab reporting is easier. Now I have to lift my carcuss out of the recliner, go downstairs get my catch card, scan a copy for my records, grab an envelope out of the bedroom, a stamp in the drawer, write the wdfw address down, and remember to put it in the mailbox when I leave to catch the bus in the AM.

An app would be easier. Just upgraded my smart phone and watch. My wife has been doing things electronically for years. It's been a while since I've actually sent anything in the mail or write a check. I guess you can teach an old babyboomer new tricks.

#956442 - 04/28/16 07:34 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Eric Kraig]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Eric Kraig
Piper,

We'll count it if we get it! (Although PDFs are kind of a PITA.) What e-mail address did you send it to to?

Catch.Reporting@dfw.wa.gov

don't even talk to me about what a PITA a PDF is... try carting around 3' of licences and catch record cards per person and writing on those cards in the rain and with wet hands and rusty pens...

I have to carry a waterproof box every where I go with nothing but licenses and pens, and I'm still worried when my pen wont write on the wet plastic paper and I can see the WDFW boat in the distance just waiting to write me a ticket if that f'r fails

#956495 - 04/29/16 12:39 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: Sal Fario]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
Quit your bitchin, a year from now the cards will pretty much be empty

#956520 - 04/29/16 04:57 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: chasbo]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: chasbo
Quit your bitchin, a year from now the cards will pretty much be empty

just think, 10 years from now you won't even have a need for the pen. a regular license will be $75 a piece. oh! a extra 4' of plastic paper too. fridge

#956664 - 05/02/16 01:26 PM Re: Why do we have to SEND in CRCs? [Re: ]
Eric Kraig Offline
Fry

Piper,

That's the place. Did you hear back from us?

The thermal paper is a pain! The more waterproof you make it, the harder it is to write on, and vice versa. I always have to get the ballpoint "started" by writing on my hand or something before writing on a wet card. If fishing is good my hand will be covered with ink smears...

- Eric

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (eddie), 960 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |