Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#956430 - 04/28/16 04:45 PM Noob Ling Questions
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thinking of heading out for lings when it opens, but I've only done it once before and have some noob questions.

Are lings early morning biters like salmonids? Is it worth it to be on the water by daybreak or not much of a difference if you sleep in a couple extra hours?

#956432 - 04/28/16 04:57 PM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Be there when the tide is running slow enough to make sure you aren't getting hung up every 15 or 20 seconds wink The more up and down you can fish the better.

Otherwise...good to go.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#956433 - 04/28/16 05:02 PM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Is that true for jig fishing as well, or mostly for live bait presentations?

#956439 - 04/28/16 06:33 PM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
Brent K Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Arlington, Washington
That would be true for both bait and jig. Keep it as vertical as possible. Too much angle on your line and you will just start drgging and loosing gear. Sundays tides look good.

#956465 - 04/29/16 08:07 AM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
I'll piggy back on this topic since I'm also new to chasing lings. How do you guys keep your sand dabs alive without a live bait well?

#956468 - 04/29/16 08:30 AM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Buy a battery-op aerator and clip it on a bucket, if you don't have a live well. . .that'd be the quick and dirty fix. Gotta keep the live bait lively.

As for early morning or middle of the day, I have never found any difference in their activity patterns in terms of ambient light. I've screwed around with scents too, and haven't noticed a difference either. It seems to be mostly tide dependent. . .some movement, but not too much. Whenever I fish at slack, I have found lings to be really sluggish. I think if they get to stare at something long enough, they get disinterested. I'm no authority on the subject, just my observations. I hope to do gather more data soon!

fb

#956472 - 04/29/16 08:51 AM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Leave the sand dabs at home. jig up a nice 8-10" kelp greenling usually found near good lingcod spots, hookup send down and hang on.

#956478 - 04/29/16 09:18 AM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Probably depends where you're fishing. I fish the san juans and a live greenling is the ticket for BIG fish. But I heard at possession a sand dab works better.

Recent years I have gotten lazy about using live bait and use a black or purple label herring on a very large mooching-style setup (zip-tying the herring's head to the top hook). Seems to work just as well.

The lowest amount of work and highest amount of fish (though smaller) come on a berkley 6" gulp grub (I like new penny color). I start with a 6oz jig head but go up or down depending on the current.

Lings like moving water.

#956480 - 04/29/16 10:24 AM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Personally we are generally less successful around slack tide. I think the fish like some movement. We fish in the islands a lot and I like to get in areas with a pretty fast drift. flip the ass end of the boat into the current and use the kicker to back down and keep my gear at a "reasonable" angle. Many times you will be flying over a spot and just freespooling line on the drop and WAM they grab it on the drop.

I would say that MOST of the fish we catch are when the water is moving.

Same goes for Possession, I like a little water movement to help cover ground. Otherwise your just drowning a sand dab in one spot. You're really looking for rogue fish that are cruising the flats. So drifting and covering water is effective. Same deal, we ass into it and control our drift with the kicker.

Dabs will stay alive in a cooler filled with water. They are hardy SOBs. Just change out 2/3 of the cooler water periodically to keep it clean.
I want to be a fisherman.

#956481 - 04/29/16 10:28 AM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
MPM, I don't question the effectiveness of live bait or herring. I've caught plenty of fish on each and it is how I prefer to fish if I'm taking inexperienced people out. That said, I consider it a downgrade on the "fun" meter compare to swim baits or light jigs. I almost never fish more than 3 ounces. With swimbaits, braid, a decent rod, you can feel the inhale of the bite. I fish the giant (expensive frown ) 9" swimbaits vertically and fish 4 to 6 inch versions when casting. I tend not to cast fish if the water is much over 40 or 50 feet because they drop way slower than a heavy jig (but they also look absolutely alive as they swim on the drop). I've caught countless keeper lings in less than 30 feet of water so don't assume that you have to fish deep with uncomfortably heavy gear.

And if you are fishing live bait or herring, just remember to keep you lead off the bottom a couple feet so your bait doesn't get hung. If you are fishing areas where you can regularly grind the bottom and not lose gear, you're probably in the wrong spot.

Im also big on wire leaders or at least VERY heavy mono.

5 inch swimbaits along with contents puked up by keeper ling:

One of my favorite ling pics from years ago when the upper end of the slot limit was 40":

#956489 - 04/29/16 12:05 PM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
I like using 4-6oz butterfly jigs. Crippled herring type of a thing. They're easy to fish and work. Second is a large orange or rootbeer worm with a 3-8oz jig head (depending on what weight you need). Herring an live greenling work, but I'll second that it's more fun jigging them up.

I've had the best luck when current is moving. You can find them at slack tide, but not near as common. They're predators waiting in the rocks for something to come by. They'll tend to hang on the down-current side of structure.

I like casting slightly ahead on the drift and pounding the bottom a couple times. It's a dangerous game, but I think the commotion helps bring them out to see what's going on.

Edited by Swifty27 (04/29/16 12:06 PM)

#956493 - 04/29/16 12:22 PM Re: Noob Ling Questions [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Thanks for all the tips. I'm set up with some weights/leaders for live bait (although I've also got some frozen herring in the freezer) as well as some various metal jigs, swimbaits, and Gulp! grubs of different sizes.

Now I just hope they aren't going to shut down the ling season due to a chance encounter with chinook.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 961 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |