Three Rivers Marine

Page 12 of 39 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#956508 - 04/29/16 03:59 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The Tribes will support the ocean fisheries, and encourage them, because it guarantees their inside fisheries.

When Hoh v. Baldridge was announced the decision said that an earlier fishery could not be used to close an Indian fishery. In this case, if the ocean rec fishery took all the harvestable, or most even, of Hoh coho then the Hoh's would be closed for conservation. Court said you can't do that. So, to their credit, WDF managers said "We'll close the ocean". Tribes and NOAA said please don't do that, just let the Tribes balance what is taken in the ocean.

So, today, we model a catch of (say) 1000 River A coho in the ocean. We model an in-river fishery that gives the Tribe 1000 paper fish in X days. They fish X days, catch whatever they can, and everybody is happy.

The ocean fishery gets the Cowboys out of Indian Country for fishing; no need to share the water so they want that ocean fishery to continue.

#956509 - 04/29/16 03:59 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Why is there even a distinction between NT commercial and Tribal commercial? What's the difference? They catch fish to sell for American dollars. The cultural aspect can be addressed through rod and reel, no closed season no limit for tribe members.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#956511 - 04/29/16 04:06 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

And it begins... https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=1796

Puget Sound marine salmon and steelhead fisheries close

Action: Closes fishing for salmon in Marine Area 11, Marine Area 13, Tulalip Terminal Area, and year-round piers. No retention of hatchery steelhead in Marine Areas 5-13.

Effective Date: May 1, 2016 until further notice.

Species affected: Salmon and steelhead.

Location: Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island) and Marine Area 13 (South Puget Sound), Tulalip Terminal Area (Marine Area 8-2), and year-round piers (Marine 8-2, 9, 10, 11, and 13) fishing closures - closed to fishing for salmon and steelhead. Marine Areas 5 through 13 for no steelhead retention.

The following are year-round piers within Puget Sound: Edmonds Public Fishing Pier, Elliott Bay Fishing Pier at Terminal 86, Seacrest Pier, Waterman Pier, Bremerton Boardwalk, Illahee State Park Pier, Dash Point Dock, Les Davis Pier, Des Moines Pier, Redondo Pier, Point Defiance Boathouse Dock, and Fox Island Public Fishing Pier.

Reason for action: The current Endangered Species Act (ESA) permit to authorize take (impacts) on chinook and steelhead expires April 30. Due to a lack of agreement with the co-managers for the 2016-17 salmon fishery seasons, ESA take coverage is not available beginning May 1. This emergency rule modifies fisheries to ensure compliance with the ESA.

Other information: Check the sport fishing rules pamphlet for details on other marine fisheries are open including bottomfish and trout: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Information contact: Ryan Lothrop, (360) 902-2808.

#956512 - 04/29/16 04:13 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: rojoband]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I have caught king salmon on a spreader bar and horse herring fishing halibut, Does that mean there going to close halibut down to.

#956513 - 04/29/16 04:15 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
The Tribes will support the ocean fisheries, and encourage them, because it guarantees their inside fisheries.

When Hoh v. Baldridge was announced the decision said that an earlier fishery could not be used to close an Indian fishery. In this case, if the ocean rec fishery took all the harvestable, or most even, of Hoh coho then the Hoh's would be closed for conservation. Court said you can't do that. So, to their credit, WDF managers said "We'll close the ocean". Tribes and NOAA said please don't do that, just let the Tribes balance what is taken in the ocean.

So, today, we model a catch of (say) 1000 River A coho in the ocean. We model an in-river fishery that gives the Tribe 1000 paper fish in X days. They fish X days, catch whatever they can, and everybody is happy.

The ocean fishery gets the Cowboys out of Indian Country for fishing; no need to share the water so they want that ocean fishery to continue.

I suspected there was a reason why the Tribes never complain about northern intercept fisheries. So indeed, the lines are drawn between commercial and sport interests. There's some grey area in there (ocean sport fishery and Tribal ceremonies, for example), but for the most part, it really is us vs. them.

#956514 - 04/29/16 04:21 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
paguy-

I too have caught Chinook while fishing halibut and even one targeting ling cod. However thankfully for those of us that like to target those fish the ESA coverage for incidental ESA Chinook take on those species (and other bottom fish) was covered under the PS rockfish listing and the resulting permit issued to allow fishing. Thus those fisheries are not affected by non-agreement for Puget Sound salmon (and the associated ESA coverage.

Halibut and ling cod season will go forward per the pamphlet.

curt

#956521 - 04/29/16 05:06 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

While we are scraping for salmon and seasons around here, Alaska has a projection increase of Chinook and about 600,000 more Coho to catch commercially this year over last.

http://www.alaskafishradio.com/2016-southeast-ak-chinook-salmon-quota-and-allocations/

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/SP16-07.pdf

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2016/04/18/southeast-king-salmon-quota-released-higher-than-last-year/

Edited by Lucky Louie (04/29/16 05:08 PM)

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#956523 - 04/29/16 05:14 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Lucky Louie]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

See, Its not all doom and gloom. For a few thousand dollars you can go to Alaska and enjoy the bounty of Washington salmon.

#956526 - 04/29/16 05:48 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: paguy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: paguy
See, Its not all doom and gloom. For a few thousand dollars you can go to Alaska and enjoy the bounty of Washington salmon.

Yeah, who said we can't catch Washington State/Puget Sound bound salmon. rofl

#956527 - 04/29/16 05:54 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
Is there a corresponding announcement that all tribal netting is closed? I know they're fast tracking a permit but they don't have a permit for any netting for any reason, right? Ceremonial, commercial, research?

Assuming this is the case, if I was to see a net fishing, can I also assume it's illegal? What authority would I report it to?

The tribes have got where they are doing what they want. I don't expect a little issue like no permit to stop them from fishing. If I can do something about it, I'd like to know what my options are.

#956528 - 04/29/16 06:01 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
rojoband Offline
Returning Adult

And it continues...
http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/apr2916a/

...a portion:

“Since we didn’t reach an agreement with treaty tribal co-managers on this year’s Puget Sound salmon fisheries, we have to close fishing in areas where we know salmon will be,” said Ron Warren, head of WDFW’s Fish Program.

For the next few months, those areas include several Puget Sound-region lakes and the lower reaches of streams where salmon smolts will travel on their way to the Sound.

Lakes that will close May 1 to all fishing include Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish (King County), Monte Cristo Lake (Snohomish County), Lake Cushman (Mason County), and Barney Lake (Skagit County).

Examples of rivers where at least sections, if not all, are closed to fishing include the Skagit, Stillaguamish and Snohomish rivers, north of Seattle. Today’s action also applies to Puget Sound-area rivers that typically open to fishing in early June, though fishery managers will be evaluating those rivers to determine whether any can open on schedule.

...click the link for more

#956529 - 04/29/16 06:10 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: rojoband]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I am sure they can fish without a permit, I have seen it happen with my own two eyes, And I wasn't even drinking at the time. If they want to catch a few ceremonial fish guess what. And as to turning them in to authorities, Please!

#956531 - 04/29/16 06:31 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: paguy]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I thought maybe in the interim, between now and when the tribes permit was issued, we might be able to stop them from netting. The fact there's nothing we can do speaks volumes for where we stand in the pecking order.

#956533 - 04/29/16 06:33 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: paguy]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I am sorry if I sound racist, Its probably because I am. I have been programmed over the years. People telling me, You cant do this and you cant do that, All the while watching the other half go wright ahead and do it. Im sick and tired of it. were fighting about a treaty that was signed in the 1800's, How about we all get in the 21st century and figure this s__t out so we can all get back to doing what we love.

#956538 - 04/29/16 07:03 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Question tonight: In the near future will there be anywhere I can fish for salmon in "The Great State of Washington"

I'll take my answer on the air..... FWIW my bags are packed already for AK and BC> I am done with this state sorry to say!

#956541 - 04/29/16 07:36 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

According to last year’s Co-Managers LOAF agreement, the Tulalip tribe would have started by now last year to fish for Chinook---No agreement no fishing?

Another early casualty could be a C&S Chinook fishery in 78C&79D Skagit River area involving several weeks beginning as early as May 3 last year. This involving a possible 3 tribes.

Could be a handful of unhappy tribes right about now.

#956543 - 04/29/16 08:18 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: Lucky Louie]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
While we are scraping for salmon and seasons around here, Alaska has a projection increase of Chinook and about 600,000 more Coho to catch commercially this year over last

Before you try to get people fired up over an increase of 600K coho by the Alaskans, you might want to check out coded wire tag information regarding the contribution of Puget Sound coho populations to AK fisheries. Here are some selected examples in % of catch to AK fisheries: Voights Creek (Puyallup) - 0%; Minter Creek - 0%; S. Sound Netpens - 0%; Nisqually - 0%; George Adams (Hood Canal) - 0%; Port Gamble Netpens - 0.1%; Wallace River (Skykomish) - 0.1%; Baker River (Skagit) - 0%; Skagit River - 0.1%; Lower Elwha - 0%.

#956544 - 04/29/16 08:43 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: OncyT]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: OncyT
While we are scraping for salmon and seasons around here, Alaska has a projection increase of Chinook and about 600,000 more Coho to catch commercially this year over last

Before you try to get people fired up over an increase of 600K coho by the Alaskans, you might want to check out coded wire tag information regarding the contribution of Puget Sound coho populations to AK fisheries. Here are some selected examples in % of catch to AK fisheries: Voights Creek (Puyallup) - 0%; Minter Creek - 0%; S. Sound Netpens - 0%; Nisqually - 0%; George Adams (Hood Canal) - 0%; Port Gamble Netpens - 0.1%; Wallace River (Skykomish) - 0.1%; Baker River (Skagit) - 0%; Skagit River - 0.1%; Lower Elwha - 0%.

I could give a [Bleeeeep!] about your Alaskan coho fishing, Enjoy it while you can.

#956545 - 04/29/16 08:44 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: OncyT]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I like looking at that stuff. Do you mind sending all coho and chinook tag information concerning Washington/Oregon origin stocks caught in Alaska. Thanks

#956547 - 04/29/16 09:25 PM Re: North of Falcon/PMFC update [Re: OncyT]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time

Do you know what the impacts BC fisheries have on Washington coho?

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

Page 12 of 39 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 38 39 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 865 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |