THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#957799 - 05/24/16 09:47 PM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: Dan S.]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
That's quite an idiot contest Jerry and RvW have going on here.

No clear leader as of yet.

You disagree with my statement or just being your usual ankle biting bitch?

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#957801 - 05/24/16 10:30 PM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: eyeFISH]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA

Another Times Article

The question is not if crabs can evolve for ultra hostile environments. They can - see Vent / Hoff / Yeti Crabs. The question is if they can do it fast enough and why should they have to? An example in some random evolution hope: within the past 70 years, small Anole lizards in the South East US are developing longer legs to deal with introduced Fire Ants. Nature can and will find a way to survive, but it probably shouldn't have to and definitely not within our human time table. We'll probably all be eating Soylent Green by 2100. Or dead. I'll be long gone, but your great grand children should love their future good times!

#957802 - 05/25/16 05:19 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: eyeFISH]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
“It’s not unreasonable to assume, for example, that they might move, that some form of rapid evolution will occur, that they may become somewhat more robust,” said Andre Punt, a University of Washington professor

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#957803 - 05/25/16 06:55 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: eyeFISH]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Good read here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitin

I will say I spoke too soon. I thought marine Arthropoda had exoskeletons made of calcite but it is chitin. Calcite leads to limestone which is very sensative to PH. Chitin apparently is different and is much more complex so perhaps there is room for adaptations there.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#957804 - 05/25/16 07:51 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: Swifty27]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Originally Posted By: Swifty27
Don't worry. I'll bet you'll always be able to catch crabs in Aberdeen.

laugh

#957806 - 05/25/16 08:00 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

What WDFW needs are more wool stocking hat wearing biologists.

Such a clown show.

How about they get someone in there that can strike deals with other groups and get things done?

#957808 - 05/25/16 08:09 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: RowVsWade]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
That's quite an idiot contest Jerry and RvW have going on here.

No clear leader as of yet.

You disagree with my statement or just being your usual ankle biting bitch?

Shut up, stupid, before you take the lead.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#957809 - 05/25/16 08:14 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
“It’s not unreasonable to assume, for example, that they might move, that some form of rapid evolution will occur, that they may become somewhat more robust,” said Andre Punt, a University of Washington professor

I don't trust liberal college professors

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#957817 - 05/25/16 10:41 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: Dan S.]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
What? Dan is not a Geoduck fan, lol.

Something in the system certainly is effecting the clams and oysters in the South Sound. The kelp forest at the lower end of Squaxin Island is a remnant of it's former self as well.

#957820 - 05/25/16 11:05 AM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: slabhunter]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Ocean acidification is a problem that impacts all fisheries. Northwest marine waters are particularly vulnerable because they are more acidic than many areas because of ocean currents. Squid and pteropods are two groups that will likely suffer. Both are important food sources for salmon and steelhead. For those with some time and interest the link below is a paper that explores the effects of OA on fisheries in the Northeast Pacific.

OA in the Northeast Pacific

#957827 - 05/25/16 12:11 PM Re: First it was the coho, now it's the crabs... [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Most scientist-types say it was the SMOD* that got the Dinos. A BFR* 6 miles across that hit the Yucatan with such force it blotted out the Sun for a couple-three-or-so years and rained iridium pellets all over the globe.

*SMOD - Sweet Meteor Of Death
*BFR - Big F'n Rock

Sweet baby jesus! Check out the brains on Hank. wink

My reply to RvW "might" have been a tinsy bit sarcastic......but thanks for letting everyone else know why there are no Velociraptors running around eating people on the Skok these days.

Actually, one could only wish for such a thing........

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |