LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#958199 - 06/01/16 06:04 PM SKYKOMISH OPENER ???
OnFish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Monroe WA
ANY WORD OUT YET ? OR AT LEAST A BEST CASE TIME FRAME ? THANKS!!! I WOULD BE WILLING TO BET MY HOUSE /TRUCK /BOAT. THAT IAM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO WOULD LIKE AT LEAST A SOFT IDEA!!

#958215 - 06/01/16 09:19 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: OnFish]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I saw a few guys out banking it today.

I say get out and fish.

The tribes did.
I want to be a fisherman.

#958308 - 06/02/16 10:13 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: OnFish]
OnFish Offline
Alevin

a very valid question!! any news on what we may be looking at for an opener?? Sorry if I don't have the post #s to warrant a serious reply after over 400 PLUS LOOKS I would like to think somebody might have a tad bit of info !!

#958310 - 06/02/16 11:16 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: ]
Sky_Walker Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: A terminal zone
This post should be totally unnecessary. But, here goes.

The river is not open now, and probably won't be until the Feds approve the agreement between the tribes and WDFW. My guess is that it will be at least a week, probably two. I guess it depends on how fast government bureaucracy works. But, until the agreement is approved, I'm waiting it out. I've fished the Sky since 1969, and those who are fishing it now just pi$$ me off.

And, just because "the tribes are fishing" doesn't mean we can (but several who call themselves "fishermen" probably are). I wonder who will be screaming the loudest when their gear is confiscated by game wardens?

Considering that many felt we wouldn't have a season at all, wouldn't waiting another week or two to fish it legally be satisfying enough??

#958315 - 06/03/16 08:01 AM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: OnFish]
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Hey Sky-Walker.....4 posts in 8 years....you need to interact more often. Nicely said.

Beezer

#958332 - 06/03/16 10:56 AM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
and the summer long garbage dumping derby begins.

Aint that the truth. My family has property on the river between whitney bridge and hwy 18. The amount of beer cans and trash the float tubers throw in the river is horrific.

The county needs to do something about it.

I queried the WDFW earlier this week about the potential for any "early" openers (prior to complete package being approved), and it appears the package submitted to NOAA after agreement was a joint Tribal and state package, and the likelihood of any fisheries getting approval before the whole package is approved is very low. I'm still awaiting an answer from the dept. on this topic.

#958352 - 06/03/16 03:32 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: Sky_Walker]
Sky_Walker Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: A terminal zone
Wow. Thanks, Beezer! I usually get yelled at for comments about WDFW, so I've been hesitant to post anything. Maybe time away from this and other forums heals some wounds?

ANYWAY, I spoke with a WDFW person in the Mill Creek offices this afternoon. It's not official, but the rivers should open in approximately 3 weeks. (This allows NOAA four weeks to approve the agreement, and there's no reason to think they won't.) Just wait for the announcement. WDFW plans to make it well know, via TV, their web site, and newspapers.

And, for those who choose to ignore the closure, there are a BUNCH of WDFW enforcement officers on the Sky today. They may be on the bank or in boats. You may not see them, but they will see you. So far, they're only warning people and telling them to get off the river. But, if you were warned once (your name is on their computer system), a second incident will result in your gear being confiscated. (To me, it's not worth doing an end run around the closure, as I'm not about to relinquish any of my gear to the authorities.)

#958355 - 06/03/16 04:24 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: Sky_Walker]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
It is hard to understand why it should take so long to get a NOAA approval on the agreement.

I suppose this delay is proof positive that they are underfunded. wink

Edited by blackmouth (06/03/16 05:36 PM)
Edit Reason: to add an indicator 0f sarcasm

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#958360 - 06/03/16 05:23 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: OnFish]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Underfunded my ass. If there was any accountability to the actual users, the permit would get done, quickly, but there isn't. NOAA's "business" is not harmed by issuing a permit on their own time. I am sure there are some at NOAA, that through their own self motivation, are pushing this through more quickly, but as an Administration there is no incentive for them. Their funding does not depend on issuing a permit quickly.

#958362 - 06/03/16 05:41 PM Re: SKYKOMISH OPENER ??? [Re: Sky-Guy]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

I queried the WDFW earlier this week about the potential for any "early" openers (prior to complete package being approved), and it appears the package submitted to NOAA after agreement was a joint Tribal and state package, and the likelihood of any fisheries getting approval before the whole package is approved is very low.

Did anyone ask the BIA? Apparently they now have the authority to issue "head nod" permits for ESA takes....

....maybe we could get one of those.
I want to be a fisherman.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |