Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#958148 - 05/31/16 07:56 PM Early crab opener
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Here

Now hopefully NOAA will allow WDFW to open the fishing areas that have been agreed upon to be open, like 11 and 13 and others.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#958156 - 05/31/16 10:39 PM Re: Early crab opener [Re: blackmouth]
Piper
Unregistered

WDFW must be feeling guilty for giving away all the salmon this year, so their gonna throw whitey a bone...

or the commercials have already hit the quota already...

#958157 - 05/31/16 10:57 PM Re: Early crab opener [Re: blackmouth]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Well, at least the State's recreational crabbers will have an extra month in those waters but additional time does not necessarily equate to additional opportunity - meaning if there aren't crab (or reasonable numbers) that extra time is a hollow "victory."

Heard straight from the crab bio that their test fishery in MA 13 was dismal and from Pt. Defiance folks that in MA 11 the Puyallup's had caught about 25% of their quota before calling it quits - at least for awhile.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#958161 - 06/01/16 08:12 AM Re: Early crab opener [Re: blackmouth]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
My results in MA13 have been poor for the last couple of years.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#958179 - 06/01/16 11:58 AM Re: Early crab opener [Re: blackmouth]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: blackmouth
My results in MA13 have been poor for the last couple of years.

Their test fishery results in MA13 this year was worse than in 2015.....so factor that into your expectations and choices of where to go to crab (as in, head north).

#958183 - 06/01/16 12:39 PM Re: Early crab opener [Re: Larry B]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater
Take all of that with a grain of salt, the 20 Skoke pots alone i've been watching in Zangle have been producing big time.

#958198 - 06/01/16 05:27 PM Re: Early crab opener [Re: Larry B]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Well, at least the State's recreational crabbers will have an extra month in those waters but additional time does not necessarily equate to additional opportunity - meaning if there aren't crab (or reasonable numbers) that extra time is a hollow "victory."

Heard straight from the crab bio that their test fishery in MA 13 was dismal and from Pt. Defiance folks that in MA 11 the Puyallup's had caught about 25% of their quota before calling it quits - at least for awhile.

Tell me? I am a little ignorant on the crabbing gig but on my 2nd season. I thought it is not good to crab until the soft shell time is over? MA 11 has not opened for years until after July 1st because of this? How does MA 13 magically escape this? How does the Tribe get to fish on soft crabs or any crabs EARLYER THAN ME? Are they any better at sorting or better at handling them? Same for the NI Commercials? Am I wrong or are we always 2nd or 3rd in line for this? I had heard the PS numbers were way up this year? Was thinking of trying it South this weekend, w/ the nice weather and all, but I don't want to fall into this WDFW trap of offering opportunity on poor or no numbers! I'm wondering if I should find something else to do this weekend?

#958205 - 06/01/16 08:01 PM Re: Early crab opener [Re: blackmouth]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Lots of good questions that bring together LE issues, crab biology, and co-management with the tribes.

First, there is no legal NT commercial crabbing in marine areas 10, 11, 12 or 13. Secondly, where there is NT commercial crabbing it doesn't open until
1 October and runs to February or until the State's share in any particular MA is harvested. In that regard recreational crabbers have access to all of the State's share in the less productive areas and, arguably, priority in the other areas by virtue of the summer season before NT commercials.

The 1 July start date was a little bit biology, a little bit harvest management, and a little bit LE. Crab tend to molt later the further north one goes so south Sound crab, on average, harden earliest. In order to minimize LE issues and also try to ensure the summer recreational season does not exceed the State's share there is generally one opener (1 July) except in the San Juans and north which open later due to later molting. This also makes it easier on LE. There was much discussion during development of the new policy regarding the start dates, daily limits, and number of days/week to be open given that management areas have varying levels of harvest pressure as well as crab biomass. LE wanted the fewest number of variables hence what we now have.

As for tribal crabbers it is my opinion they are no better nor worse than the rest of us in terms of sorting/handling injury. But as far as your question about how the tribes get to fish earlier than you or me the answer is simple: Boldt. The individual tribes establish their own seasons which just seem to always precede the recreational season. I would be naive to believe that there isn't some effort to avoid conflict on the water by separating those harvest groups.

Now, let's talk MA 13. Generally the State and tribes negotiate the total harvest in a given management area. Then each group divvies up their 50% among its own user groups. For the State than means recreational and NT commercial while those tribes having U&A (usual and accustomed) rights in a management area have to come to an agreement. Well, in 2012 the Nisqually tribal fishers exceeded their share by 3X and in 2013 by 2X. In 2014, 2015 and 2016 they simply avoided criticism for fishing over their quota by not entering into any agreement and continuing to crab. The result is that the State (recreational crabbers) have not been able to harvest its share. In order to mitigate that situation the State has opened the recreational season early giving recreational crabbers a weak shot at crab.

Now, a final point. If you were to harvest crab in one of those MAs opening early be advised that you cannot legally move into a MA where crabbing is closed and participate in any form of harvest. For example, you cannot have crab aboard legally harvested in MA 13 and then run north of the Tacoma Narrows bridge and stop to fish ling (or perch, flounder, dig clams or harvest kelp (well, not exactly sure about kelp but it is licensed under your shellfish license and shellfish are covered)). No, I am not full of BS. See page 12 of the current regs under Harvest and Possession Rules and check out the eighth item under "You May Not." Just remember, I don't write them.....

Hope that helps and, yes, if you are going to crab in MA 13 the earlier the better in my opinion.

#958254 - 06/02/16 11:48 AM Re: Early crab opener [Re: kingdog]
Chetwoot Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Squaxin
Kingdog just a FYI- The Skokomish Tribe doesn't crab or have U&A in Area 13. Those pots in Zangle are Squaxin Island Tribal pots.

#958284 - 06/02/16 04:47 PM Re: Early crab opener [Re: Chetwoot]
kingdog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater
Originally Posted By: Chetwoot
Kingdog just a FYI- The Skokomish Tribe doesn't crab or have U&A in Area 13. Those pots in Zangle are Squaxin Island Tribal pots.
I had Skok on my mind with their bullchit action going on. Thanks for clearing it up.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |