THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#958713 - 06/10/16 07:13 PM Finally getting around to building a large smoker.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA

New smoker project. Got this from Bucket the other day. Cabinet has a fan and heats up to 200F. Uninsulated but that can be fixed. FP (Fred) gave me an old Bradley a few years ago that needed some attention as well. Checked out the smoke generator on the Bradley and all it needs is a new puck advance button. The proofing cabinet has a few issues, but those parts are on order as well. Total, about $80 in parts.

To be continued.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#958893 - 06/13/16 12:51 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
....and soon you too will be able to smoke a giraffe. Whole. Upright.

#958929 - 06/13/16 05:01 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

New smoker project. Got this from Bucket the other day. Cabinet has a fan and heats up to 200F. Uninsulated but that can be fixed. FP (Fred) gave me an old Bradley a few years ago that needed some attention as well. Checked out the smoke generator on the Bradley and all it needs is a new puck advance button. The proofing cabinet has a few issues, but those parts are on order as well. Total, about $80 in parts.

To be continued.

That's a nice start !
https://www.ckitchen.com/p/eagle-hpfnlsi-rc2.25-panco-transport-heated-proofing-cabinet.html

#958930 - 06/13/16 05:02 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: stam
Not as technologically advanced, but it was sure fun to build, I get 160ish at the top end, but like to run about 110 for the long haul.

So what is the heating unit ?

#958947 - 06/14/16 07:24 AM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Direct-Drive]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

To be continued.

That's a nice start !
https://www.ckitchen.com/p/eagle-hpfnlsi-rc2.25-panco-transport-heated-proofing-cabinet.html

This one has a few issues but between some new parts and a little electrical work is should be up and running in a few weeks. The new puck advance button for the Bradley smoke generator arrived yesterday.

I think Stam uses only vine maple for his smoke and heat.

#959277 - 06/18/16 03:13 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
My dad had the fire in a barrel about six feet from the smoker. Smoke was brought in at ground level. I doubt the smokehouse ever got much more than 100 degrees. He always used green alder or vine maple. Smoked for seven days, although the fire often went out for hours at a time.

The end product was squaw candy, hard, salty, and smoky but would keep indefinitely.

#960188 - 07/05/16 04:12 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Every time I see Dave's photo of the Chinook sticking out of the fish box from a trip to Langara many years ago, I have to smile. There were limits of Lingcod, Halibut and Rockfish underneath. The last day of our trip we finally got a good Chinook bite an hour before we had to quit.

I know that this doesn't have a thing to add to the smoker thread, but I just wanted to remember a great trip, one of many with The Reverend.

BTW, my son-in-law just came back from Alaska with some of the best hard smoked salmon strips I have ever tasted that were done by one of his native friends, a 78 year old granny.

#960218 - 07/06/16 06:28 AM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Good memories Sebastes. I recall that we went many hours without a bite then doubled up on really nice kings!

#960393 - 07/07/16 10:40 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Got all of the parts in and some time to put it together.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2v0qBDFCHPI[/video]

Needs a few more tweaks before it will see any use, like a ramp for the dead pucks and a shield for the puck platform. Who knows, maybe I'll side it with cedar to look like Stam's. wink

#960404 - 07/08/16 05:51 AM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Got all of the parts in and some time to put it together.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2v0qBDFCHPI[/video]

Needs a few more tweaks before it will see any use, like a ramp for the dead pucks and a shield for the puck platform. Who knows, maybe I'll side it with cedar to look like Stam's. wink

That will be the Mother of All Smokers when it's done, DF.

#963069 - 08/18/16 08:57 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Finally got a little time to finish the beast after getting in all of the parts.

A total of 11 rack brackets inside. I have a number of 18"x26" pans, and an equal number of expanded metal racks. So far I have smoked cheese at 70F, and salmon at 170F. The convection feature means all product from top to bottom is held at the same temp, and I can do in excess of 200lbs at a time.

Here is some of the finished product.

If you have a lot of fish to smoke, let me know. Let's strike a deal.

#963071 - 08/18/16 09:05 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

That looks beautiful !
The Mother of All Smokers to be sure.

Mine is like an Easy Bake Oven compared to that behemoth.

#963503 - 08/28/16 06:29 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Stam, Is the fire inside or outside the smokehouse?

Edited to add....Nice job dogfish, that's a monster.

Edited by RowVsWade (08/29/16 02:08 PM)

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#963552 - 08/29/16 06:38 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: RowVsWade]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Stam's is a Native American artifact and they're lookin' for it.
I think it's the Modoc's and they're scalpers.
Then they burn you.

#963568 - 08/30/16 07:54 AM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

First shot at jerky. Five full racks, about 16 pounds.

Stamms fire is inside the house at the bottom.

#964449 - 09/16/16 10:52 AM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Nice.........smokers guy's. I have switched from the pucks over to the pellets as they do not have that bitter taste to it. Old school wet alder or apple would be great. Good luck,

SZ

#964597 - 09/19/16 06:11 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

c00g Smoker

Smokin possum today
Epic dump tomorrow

#964680 - 09/21/16 02:04 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Smokin [Bleeeeep!]!! Gotta love it

#964681 - 09/21/16 02:12 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Dogfish]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Stam,
Is them outside boards T&G (tongue and groove) or shiplap? My eye's cant tell from the picture. Exactly what pitch is the roof? How wide, how deep and how tall is that thing? What are the measurements of the door? Did you make it as air tight as possible? Did you concrete the four corners in the ground? Did you use treated posts in the corners?

Thanks

I'll probable have more questions as I get started.

#964697 - 09/21/16 05:36 PM Re: Finally getting around to building a large smoker. [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Bucket/Good Sport
Stam,
Is them outside boards T&G (tongue and groove) or shiplap?

My skilled contractor's eye says it's a Coors Banquet buttlap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |