THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#959446 - 06/21/16 02:36 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Hatchery fish don't need that culvert removed or replaced. Other than protecting the water supply integrity, quality, and quality you don't need much as the stream is just a pathway.

Hatcheries are real good at converting a minimal amount of water and land to fish.

#959451 - 06/21/16 03:59 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
That was exactly my point and why General Fund money should be fixing those infrastructure impediments to recovery of ESA listed stocks.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#959453 - 06/21/16 05:10 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

But my point is that, like what you're saying, if the public won't step up for habitat and ESA species then the sporty's sure shouldn't have to foot the bill. And, given all that WA needs to spend money on there is nothing for ESA or habitat.

#959457 - 06/21/16 07:58 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I think we are in agreement as to the futility of the current situation.

I just looked at the proposed increases (as posted on another site and not yet verified) and noted that it includes jumping the adult, resident shellfish license from $17.40 to $26.20 and the P.S. crab endorsement from $8.75 to $18.50. So if all one wants to do is crab the cost jumps from $26.15 to $44.70; a 71% increase.

Maybe doubling the P.S. endorsement anticipates a loss of 50% participation.

#959458 - 06/21/16 08:48 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

I bought an annual WY license to fish for about a week and a half. I think it was $70 some. Every day the fishing (stream) was better than I can find here and if WA makes the costs similar why would I ever consider fishing here?

#959461 - 06/21/16 09:27 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Last time I was in WY the antelope were everywhere but crabbing was a challenge. (yes, I know that will result in some unsavory comments; consider it a freebie)

#959462 - 06/21/16 09:32 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

I think you coulda found some crabs if you'd have looked hard enough.

#959464 - 06/21/16 10:18 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Antelope I could explain......WY crabs not so much.

On a parallel path have I mentioned my wife is a retired trained killer?

#959468 - 06/22/16 06:49 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

And yet, she lets you live. Nice lady. smile

#959477 - 06/22/16 09:34 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Opportunity has fallen so much, it is becoming hard to justify the expense. I skipped hunting last year, as all my local areas are now pay to hunt, including the DNR land that now wants me to by the discover pass. Went from any weapon, any area for elk to choose your weapon and area. Several of the areas I used to hunt went from a open tag to a trophy tag, with no better opportunity. This year my local opportunity for salmon has just about disappeared. To add injury to insult, there are a couple of great clamming beaches near a rental I own. In the last past couple of years they have gone from being open all year to 1 month for one, and 2 months on the other. They stopped planting most of the local rivers, so if I want a realistic chance for steel head I have a minimum of an hour trip, more if I want to get into good fishing. The park I used to stop by at lunch and make a toss or two in, now wants a 3 dollar parking fee. It just never stops. I have probably went from being out doors around 80 to 100 days a year to around to 15, with only 3 or 4 of those being dedicated trips. I could go on, but it is actually quite depressing.

#959480 - 06/22/16 10:05 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
And yet, she lets you live. Nice lady. smile

Very tolerant; plus after 40 years its not worth getting rid of me.

And, Krijack, I wholeheartedly agree. It is extremely depressing. At the cost of hauling my boat to the ocean fishery for one fish I decided to pull the trigger and buy into a tuna trip instead.

#959483 - 06/22/16 11:22 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

What the current/recent changes have made me do is carefully plan trips. No more hope in car on the spur of the moment stuff. And, I'll buy into guided trips/charters so as to maximize the chance to actually encounter something.

As an aside, our daughter is developing a model in her dissertation that trys to predict motivation for two different commercial tuna fleets fishing four different species. Is it maximize catch? Minimize expense? Consistent catch? It would behoove our "managers" to delve into the motivation of hunters and anglers. What actually gets them out there in terms of expectations, opportunity, time in the field. I am afraid that WDFW believes that "If we open it, they will come"

#959487 - 06/22/16 11:51 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Carcassman]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I believe WDFW Commissioner Wecker was right on, questioning the increase. Rural folks do not see the benefit from their conservation efforts.

#959489 - 06/22/16 11:57 AM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

I have seen more than one instance where rural folks are asked/forced to bear the brunt of conservation/habitat protection/etc. so that the fish can be harvested in B10 and the ocean. WDFW not only knows this, they support and encourage it.

#959490 - 06/22/16 12:06 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
What the current/recent changes have made me do is carefully plan trips. No more hope in car on the spur of the moment stuff. And, I'll buy into guided trips/charters so as to maximize the chance to actually encounter something.

As an aside, our daughter is developing a model in her dissertation that trys to predict motivation for two different commercial tuna fleets fishing four different species. Is it maximize catch? Minimize expense? Consistent catch? It would behoove our "managers" to delve into the motivation of hunters and anglers. What actually gets them out there in terms of expectations, opportunity, time in the field. I am afraid that WDFW believes that "If we open it, they will come"

Along that line of thought I recently asked a WDFW employee tied to P.S. crabbing why it is that there is an annual 30% attrition rate; that is, roughly 30% each year are new crabbers yet no long term increase in sale of endorsements meaning roughly 30% leave the activity each year. In so many words he told me they haven't looked into that issue. I suggested that maybe they need to know why they are losing those customers - that is in the neighborhood of $600K just in the endorsement. Poof, gone, and they don't know why???

#959505 - 06/22/16 01:42 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

There was study that I have somewhere, passed to me by a WDFW fish bio, that for fishing licenses in general there is a significant non-buy between years. This was nationwide. You'd think this would be high on their list of things to know; why does somebody buy, why do they stop, and do they come back.

I think the regular buyers tend to be an older demographic, which means they aren't bringing in and retaining the younger folks. Should be a high priority in an agency based on licenses for revenues but I guess tee times are more important.

What should also be disturbing is not only do they not know why folks drop out but they don't care.

#959530 - 06/22/16 05:43 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
I was at the commissioners meeting in April and pointed out to them that everyone in the room was gray-haired. If you live in the Skagit basin, and just got your drivers license, odds are you've never seen a Skagit wild steelhead. They might as well be unicorns as far as young folks are concerned. Hell, when was the last time anyone on this forum saw one? Who is going to care about them when we are gone? Do we want to leave them in the hands of folks that have never seen one?

#959541 - 06/22/16 06:56 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: _WW_]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: _WW_
I was at the commissioners meeting in April and pointed out to them that everyone in the room was gray-haired. If you live in the Skagit basin, and just got your drivers license, odds are you've never seen a Skagit wild steelhead. They might as well be unicorns as far as young folks are concerned. Hell, when was the last time anyone on this forum saw one? Who is going to care about them when we are gone? Do we want to leave them in the hands of folks that have never seen one?

"We" who have seen them really took good care of them. Such good care we don't see them anymore.

#959543 - 06/22/16 07:21 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Krijack]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Krijack
Opportunity has fallen so much, it is becoming hard to justify the expense. I skipped hunting last year, as all my local areas are now pay to hunt, including the DNR land that now wants me to by the discover pass. Went from any weapon, any area for elk to choose your weapon and area. Several of the areas I used to hunt went from a open tag to a trophy tag, with no better opportunity. This year my local opportunity for salmon has just about disappeared. To add injury to insult, there are a couple of great clamming beaches near a rental I own. In the last past couple of years they have gone from being open all year to 1 month for one, and 2 months on the other. They stopped planting most of the local rivers, so if I want a realistic chance for steel head I have a minimum of an hour trip, more if I want to get into good fishing. The park I used to stop by at lunch and make a toss or two in, now wants a 3 dollar parking fee. It just never stops. I have probably went from being out doors around 80 to 100 days a year to around to 15, with only 3 or 4 of those being dedicated trips. I could go on, but it is actually quite depressing.

Totally agree with this as that diminishing opportunity and days spent outside are dwindling for sure! Getting tired of Jerry Springer re-runs myself eek Lots of great points here regarding out of state fishing too. I also agree with statement about the Skagit voiced here too what happened there???? My first steelhead was a Skagit fish as I well to enjoyed those Sauk C&R days too. I'll not live long enough to see it again unfortunately but both of those North Sound rivers are in my "backyard" along with my home river the Stilly! No use crying over spilt milk as I'm burning daylight... Just returned from Alaska after a great 7 days (Chinook, Coho, Yelloweye, Halibut, Rockfish and Sable fish off the 800 foot line) and plan on returning for Coho in late August too. Planning another trip to my old stomping grounds on the Yellowstone with the captain who lives in Livingston MT. that I've fished Alaska with now for three years for large Brown Trout in late October. If Washington state is showing you no LOVE at the moment there are other places out there> Trust me!

#959895 - 06/29/16 02:39 PM Re: Puget Sound Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement Idea? [Re: Backtrollin]
River Nutrients

My current interest is primarily C&R. Why not have a modestly-priced C&R license? No CRC needed, you just better not have a fish in possession.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1406 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |