LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#958522 - 06/07/16 03:06 PM Happy, coked up fish?
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
At least the fish are happy now.

It must be a real pain to keep their coke dry. It also explains a LOT about the board behavior around these parts. Me thinks some should cut back and some should eat up!

#958527 - 06/07/16 05:11 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

We've seen that story a bunch lately. Sounds like the 3 H's of salmon and steelhead decline need a fourth member added: Heroin.

Revolting, if not altogether avoidable or likely to slow down.

#958534 - 06/07/16 07:49 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
CLICK ME CLICK ME! I'm SLAMMING someone, you won't BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

This is a super awesome example of how we can get nothing done in the current climate...

Working backwards from "Seattle-Caught Salmon Found To Contain Cocaine, Antidepressants, And Pain Relievers" -- from the authoritative "NaturalBlaze"... Note the picture of ADULT salmon at the top -- which is not what the study covers. We find it's referencing a Seattle Times article... Slighly more authoritative, let's click to that.

We find a less spectacular headline "Drugs found in Puget Sound salmon from tainted wastewater". Certainly less "sky is falling" tone in this article, some fairly muted concerns, and an accurate photo of a beach seine and some small/juvenile fish. This article references the study itself, let's go there.

We find a muted "Contaminants of emerging concern in a large temperate estuary" article and some interesting bioaccumulation stats on juvenile salmon vs. resident (they say "site fidelity") fish. If you're eating whole, juvenile salmon, this is perhaps interesting.

Global health crisis? Nope.

Global information distortion crisis? See presidential election candidates.

#958539 - 06/07/16 08:51 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Be interesting to see the contamination levels of other major inside water bodies adjacent to other first world metropoli.... say SF Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Lake Michigan... just to put things into perspective.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#958540 - 06/07/16 09:28 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: eyeFISH]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Be interesting to see the contamination levels of other major inside water bodies adjacent to other first world metropoli.... say SF Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Lake Michigan... just to put things into perspective.

Interesting eyeFISH you bought up SF Bay in your post since before retiring up here 20+ years ago with my local gal wife I lived down there in "The Golden State" Eat any fish from that Bay? Are you serious! Caught tons of LARGE sturgeon in upper San Pablo Bay off China Camp but it was all C&R. Stripers? Great fishery back in the day off Ocean Beach and points south after they left the upper Bay but no TY on those Bay fish! Salmon outside the GG? I was in all the time but never liked those Farallon Island Chinook due to those radioactive barrel dumps out there! Pick your poison fits I guess..... Ignorance is BLISS I guess! wink

#958541 - 06/07/16 09:47 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
Piper
Unregistered

I work for a company that does wastewater treatment. I am by no means an expert but I do get to listen to the experts speak... everything we injest will end up in our waste, and from what I hear, the chemicals we are injesting have been refined to the point that they are so dissolved in the waste stream that they cannot be removed by conventional means...

We are dumping millions of gallons a day of wastewater and that water contains a tons of the chemicals we injest... asprin, ibuprofin, birth control pills, alchohol, drugs... if we ingest it we piss and poop it...

we are trying to come up with ways to use wastewater without dumping it, but usually that requires cleaning it to a point that the cost to treat it outweighs the benefit...

when water becomes scarce only then will we be able to afford to treat it to the level that is safe to reuse it...

#958544 - 06/08/16 07:54 AM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: IrishRogue]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Here is a link to a preliminary report presented to the WDFW Commission in Aug 2015 with particular interest in the extreme mortality loss of south Sound smolt: http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2015/08/aug0715_06_presentation.pdf.

The last 10 pages are of particular interest.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#958547 - 06/08/16 08:51 AM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
If you eat Big Macs, this should be of little concern to you. Doesn't really matter what junk you put in your body...

If on the other hand this is a major issue in your life, you probably aren't reading this because you are so far off the grid you are hunting and growing your own organic foods...

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#958554 - 06/08/16 11:47 AM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I've been thinking about my funeral. Curious. :shrug Would being cremated, viking style, destroy the toxins in my body? Or would it just send them airborne?

#958559 - 06/08/16 12:07 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
As Piper noted, many of the pollutants are in really low concentrations. Parts per billion. When you are treating hundreds of cfs of water it becomes impossible to economically find and treat that molecule.

It can be done, but at a great cost. It will be similar to what we use water for when our source is desalinization plant water. Fewer swimming pools...

#959168 - 06/16/16 06:20 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
Bunker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: River that your fishing!
Snoqualmie waste water treatment plant dumps all their so called clean/treated water right into the river just above the falls. yummy!

#959346 - 06/20/16 12:23 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: NickD90]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I'm trying to figure out how to snort a salmon.

#959396 - 06/21/16 05:19 AM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: gooybob]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: gooybob

freeze dry the slime and you will be good to go.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#959584 - 06/23/16 12:38 PM Re: Happy, coked up fish? [Re: Jerry Garcia]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
Originally Posted By: gooybob

freeze dry the slime and you will be good to go.

Actually if I did coke at this age I'm pretty sure I'd lock up and have a heart attack!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |