Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#960535 - 07/10/16 10:02 AM PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
We need your participation at the Skokomish River at George Adams Hatchery on July 30, at 1 PM. We cannot allow river closures by certain tribes to shut us off the rivers to our hatcheries. The news media will be there. Please join us. The Skokomish tribe has had the Skokomish river deemed theirs by the Solicitor General and are not allowing any fishing from the river. This can be disputed long term but short term they are kicking us off the river. This is becoming a precedent from some tribes to start claiming rivers and remove access to our fish.

In a June 9 op-ed article, published in the Shelton-Mason County Journal, Lorraine Loomis, Chair of the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission, stressed the importance of cooperation between the co-managers of the salmon resource (Puget Sound tribes and the State of Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife), and the need to work together on fish habitat protection and restoration, as well as seeking greater production of salmon through our hatchery programs. We agree with Ms. Loomis.

We would like to see the Skokomish tribe reverse their decision.
Please click on this link to the PSA state board for more information and address. Also please read our letter to Skokomish Tribal Chairman, Guy Miller, that has the link on the site too:

www.pugetsoundanglers.org
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#961654 - 07/27/16 01:40 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I hear parking has changed?

#961658 - 07/27/16 01:57 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
park at Hunter Farms 1921 WA-106. At our last board meeting we were told there will be shuttles to the hatchery

#961771 - 07/28/16 02:25 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: BW]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

From the PSA updated page. :Attendees are requested to have drivers drop off their passengers at George Adams Hatchery, 40 West Skokomish Valley Road, and then proceed west on West Skokomish Valley Road to a pasture about a quarter of a mile away. Drivers will be shuttled back to the hatchery.

#961969 - 07/30/16 05:36 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Glad to see so many very concerned folks show up today! Shuttle service worked efficiently - it has been a long time since I parked in an active pasture - if you know what I mean! Thanks to Hunter Farms for use of their property.

Too bad there were no politicians in attendance or WDFW management to hear the frustration of attendees. Participating organizations participating will be sending out information to their members for further action involving elected officials and WDFW management.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#961995 - 07/31/16 07:33 AM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

There was quite a groan when it was announced that not only is the popular and productive Chinook Skok fishery being closed to sport anglers by tribal decree, but sockeye that were being transported to Baker Lake for sport fishing were now being diverted to the Skok brood stock program as well.

Well, isn’t that special!!

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#962017 - 07/31/16 11:51 AM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Lucky Louie]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Isn't there something about out of basin stocks from the hatchery reform group?

#962018 - 07/31/16 12:06 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: slabhunter]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Any members of the media present at this rally? Haven't seen any reporting on this event.

#962019 - 07/31/16 12:28 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: slabhunter]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Since there probably aren't "native" lacustrine sockeye in the system it would be permissible to bring in a donor stock if it can pass all the disease protocols. An interesting aspect is that this transfer will need to be approved by all the Tribes, especially the Skagit Tribes whose fish are being taken. I think WDFW would also have to approve. I wonder if they will approve a transfer if non-Indians don't have access to them.

Also, there are native riverine sockeye in the Skok and these might try to invade the lake and convert to lacustrine.

#962020 - 07/31/16 01:05 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Carcassman]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

I thought the sockeye that returned to the hatchery were just following the early chinook? Survivors of the Tacoma City Light flows?

#962022 - 07/31/16 02:43 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

No. There are riverine (river rearing) native sockeye throughout Puget Sound. They are likely the ancestor of all lacustrine stocks.

#962026 - 07/31/16 04:08 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Re: Baker sockeye transfer to Skokomish basin and Lake Cushman.

Yes, it's happening. Any endemic native sockeye stock from Cushman was either extirpated by the hydro project or overwhelmed from kokanee introductions. So the Skokomish Tribe looked at all potential donor stocks. Baker was selected because it's from Puget Sound and presently the most productive of the west side populations.

Yes, there are hoops to jump through, particularly fish disease protocols. The state and federal agencies and the Skagit Tribes had to approve. It's no easy task, but not impossible. The first brood was supposed to be last year, but some of the paperwork fell through the cracks, so the 2016 brood is the first adult brood year from which some fish are being set aside and held for TP/Skok. Eyed certified disease free eggs will be transferred to the new hatchery at Potlatch this winter. At specified times and sizes, juvenile sockeye will be transferred to Lake Cushman in 2017, and the first smolts should out migrate in the spring of 2018. And the first adult sockeye should return in the summer of 2020 if the program is successful.

A program like this is inherently an experiment, and success is not assured. WDFW's approval was based on biological considerations and the Skokomish Tribe's plan. Harvest sharing remains to be figured out. Of course it's more complicated if non-treaty recreational doesn't get a shot in the lower river. Hmmm, maybe a non-treaty gillnet fishery in lower Hood Canal is the Tribe's preferred method of assuring equal sharing of the harvest. Gotta' consider all ideas when brainstorming.

Meanwhile, back on topic, it would be interesting to hear what PSA and others had to say. If the state doesn't plan to contest the Skok's boundary claim, then my open-minded consideration would be to close down all state funded salmon hatchery operations in the Skok basin. The TP funded portion of G. Adams should continue since it's in TP's FERC license.

Sg

#962028 - 07/31/16 04:44 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I was wondering if the state should take the step of approving an non-treaty commercial netting just outside the skokomish river mouth, insisting on an equal share of the impacts since the tribe has opted to not allow more selective ways of harvesting the stock. This in turn, may reduce the number of fish the tribe could take, thus providing an incentive to allow sports fishing back in the river.

#962255 - 08/04/16 05:46 AM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Hi -------

Attached are the photos yesterday of the non I commercial net rolling out (caught 200 as we just about to get lines wet) and a card of phone numbers to ring. They are expecting calls and have a list of folks to answer complaints I guess.

I received this yesterday and if anyone wants the photos PM me.

We know the story, 2 non Indian commercial permits given by HS hatchery to trade for rec loss on Skok R. The Indians got a good trade! The losers are the recs who pay for management of the mess. SO now commercial fishing directly in hatchery zone M-W-TH-F!!!!

Lets get organized and send out to press. It makes little sense and time to shake things up in poor times.

For me, I will be requesting a refund for license. Or at least credit for 55% off. May need to do FOIA request to see how this all came down, and sprang into action is short time after most purchased licenses. Jon

Please do forward and find a group that can embarrass this management.

Thanks ---------

Edited by Rivrguy (08/04/16 05:46 AM)

#962256 - 08/04/16 06:19 AM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

On the other hand, they have clearly shown where the allegiances lie. And, as Smalma often says, the result of not having the sporties catch the fish (closing the ocean) is more netting.

#962268 - 08/04/16 10:29 AM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Just when you thought WDFW couldn't be more useless and pathetic.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#962269 - 08/04/16 10:57 AM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Could be some interesting public input at this week's Commission meeting in Olympia: http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2016/08/agenda_aug0516.html.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#962286 - 08/04/16 01:37 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I believe one of the major problems the Tribes have with rec fisheries is that the recs can do selective release of protected fish. Being able to do that, and show that it is possible, conflicts with the First Conservationist Paradigm. Commercial fisheries, on the other hand, have the same by catch issues so everybody is on the same page.

#962296 - 08/04/16 03:41 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'm pretty jaded about this stuff anymore, but even I didn't think WDFW would do something this blatantly unfair and anti-rate payer. WE pay for these fish (more than any other user group anyway) so people in Cleveland can eat Chinook salmon? Bull $hit!

More back room bargaining at our expense.

I'm ashamed at myself for buying a license this year. I knew the fishing (that I have access to anyway) was going to suck, and it was the perfect year to send the message that needs to be sent. Alas, this golden goose came through for them yet again, in spite of my best interests. As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

#962298 - 08/04/16 04:00 PM Re: PSA needs your help on July 30. Skokomish River [Re: Fishinnut]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
"You still have bass and bluegill, stop complaining!"-WDFW

(ok probably not a quote, but thats how it feels)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1049 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |