Rate This Topic
#960406 - 07/08/16 06:26 AM States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions to Protect Endangered Salmon Runs
| July 8, 2016
By Kale Williams, The Oregonian/Oregonianlive.com

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has authorized three northwestern states to continue killing sea lions that prey on endangered fish species as they try to climb the fish ladder at the Bonneville Dam, officials said Wednesday.

California sea lions often congregate at the mouth of the the Columbia River and in the waters just below the dam, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said in a statement, and the hungry marine mammals have put a big dent in the numbers of salmon and steelhead looking to make their yearly migration upstream.

"Last year sea lions were estimated to have consumed nearly 10,000 adult spring Chinook salmon, amounting to more than 3 percent of returning adult fish," the administration said in a statement. "The impact on individual populations within the run may be much higher. An estimated 25 to 35 percent of the fish consumed are listed under the Endangered Species Act."

Sea lions may be killing more salmon than estimated, NOAA study says

Data show the 2014 average spring Chinook salmon survival at Bonneville Dam was just 55 percent, down from 69 percent in 2013 and 82 percent in 2012.

Read the rest of the story at The Oregonian/Oregonianlive.com here.

#960407 - 07/08/16 07:16 AM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Hmm. Since AK and BC often take more than 3 % of the run, is NOAA gonna open a season on them, too?

#960420 - 07/08/16 09:04 AM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Kill 'em all

#960421 - 07/08/16 09:06 AM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: Paul Smenis]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Hmm. Since AK and BC often take more than 3 % of the run, is NOAA gonna open a season on them, too?

Originally Posted By: War-Paint
Kill 'em all

I like some Alaskans and Canadians. I'm sure we can harvest selectively.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#960426 - 07/08/16 11:14 AM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

This.

So, let's see... if we killed all the sealions, the runs would stand to suffer 3% lower predation, which is sort of significant. If we kill a small percentage of the sealions (a far more likely scenario), that impact will be much less; say 1%. Not exactly a "silver bullet."

To Carcassman's point, any savings will be allocated straight to ocean intercept fisheries, so the Columbia won't see a single additional recruit (unless the forecast is lower than the actual returns).

I suppose a few less sport fishers will lose fish to sealions, but I doubt the overall effect will be noticeable in that regard.

Oh, well. At least we've successfully deflected the blame for continuing salmon decline elsewhere for a few more years, and we can go about business as usual.

In all seriousness, I suppose this needs to happen. I just don't think we'll notice the difference, should a difference materialize.

#960471 - 07/09/16 09:32 AM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Not that many years ago, nearly every commercial fisherman in Washington routinely carried, on board, a 30-06 and routinely shot at every (even then protected) marine mammal (seal, sea lion, orca) he encountered.

#960609 - 07/11/16 05:53 PM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA

fp

#960632 - 07/12/16 11:50 AM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: ]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Back in the early '80s my dad and his cousin-in-law bought a commercial salmon boat. They docked it in Sausalito and one day I went over there to have lunch with my dad and look at the boat. There was a 12ga in a corner of the wheelhouse and I asked him if that was to repel boarders. "No," he said, "that's for the f'n sea lions".

Twin brother and partner Gary Duffy used to dock their commercial salmon boat in Sausalito too. 12ga. was part of their gear then too. Used to refer to it as "Takin' a sea lion's picture" Lots of muffled reports on those cold Nor Cal days I was told smirk

#960748 - 07/13/16 07:00 PM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Need help? Just say when & where.

Attachments
IMG_20160713_41415.jpg

#960847 - 07/14/16 08:57 PM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: Preston Singletary]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
Originally Posted By: Preston Singletary
Not that many years ago, nearly every commercial fisherman in Washington routinely carried, on board, a 30-06 and routinely shot at every (even then protected) marine mammal (seal, sea lion, orca) he encountered.

I've done a fair amount of comm fishin in my days. Back to the mid 70s. Rampant shooting at pins, and whales is not what I saw. I dont doubt there were some guys that wacked a few, but if if it was like yoursaying there wouldnt be so many...either that or comm fishermen cant shoot.

NOAA has had the go ahead to kill sealions for a while now. There is so much paperwork, time and effort put into everyone the
y kill its never going to do any good. To bad they can't just load up some mags, and stand on the dam walls, and let um have at it.

#960849 - 07/14/16 09:08 PM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
I've always wondered why the tribes do not do something about all the seals, and sealions. They get away with any crap they pull.

#960857 - 07/14/16 10:05 PM Re: States Authorized to Kill Sea Lions [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
What makes you think they don't?

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 821 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |