Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#961231 - 07/21/16 06:36 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Dang Parker, that really brings back the memories. What a great place to grow up!

#961232 - 07/21/16 06:48 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: The Moderator]
teamster Offline
Diamond Cutter

Loc: Seattle
Michael Parker,
You must remember Joe's bait right in your backyard?....(get there early because Joe was drunk by 8am) and sometimes he could be a 'basturd'.....had a few beers with him many times when we came in. He was a 'piece of work'.
Then there came Dan's 'Ballard bait'.....Dan was cool and his wife loved this 'ole basturd'....there were huge lines up the stairs to the railroad tracks to get bait when fishin was good and she would see me in line and tell the crowd to get the hell out of the way and let chuck up to the front to get his herring.
English Ladies are the best.
Dan did his own seining for herring and bait was always live and kicking when you bought it and I would purchase two dozen and always there was three in the bag......................They always treated this 'ole fuker' well.
Later on Dan started exporting his herring to Alaska or where ever the market was.
Dans was one of God's finest.

Some of you may remember his daughter taking over the bait shop after mom pasted and turning it into a little' bistro '..........didn't last but a couple of years. Was a fun place to eat and drink and listen to easy jazz.
Dan used to have several rods in holders off his dock with live herring for bait...........I witnessed several epic battles with Dan or Mom and or daughter battling a nice king or coho right off the bait holding pens.

Those were the days!.............I long for them back.

I'm with you Michael.............mooching only...............and of course jigs sting zelda's,darts,crippled herring and......you get it!
Get 'mooching' only into law and I will give you all my trolling gear including down-riggers and electronics...promise.
Now back to my glass of Cabernet,
Peace,
Chuck

#961234 - 07/21/16 07:33 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Of course I remember Dan's bait shop! Straight shot from us and was always our first stop in the early am. I also got to watch several of the bait kids on the dock fight kings.

We would mimic that over on our dock. No big kings, but used to catch the snot out of the poor black mouth and seaguls.

Great fishing with you the other day, Diamond Cutter! thumbs Always a fun time on the water! Still don't know why you let that fish go at the boat. wink Now, we just need to get tjcarrol back on that fishing horse!

Captain Q - did you ever get any legit salmon off of our dock?

Somehow we managed to always...um...."hook" a sockeye when they passed by, maybe a big king or two, and at least a couple of silvers every year. About once a year, I'd get a steelhead on a spinner, spoon, or casting a Flatfish out to a rolling pod.

Oddest thing we hooked off of the dock was a HUGE true cod. In the 3' and 35-40 pound range.

#961278 - 07/22/16 02:14 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
My early years were at Fort Lawton.....we lived where I could look East at the "Government Locks", as they were called in the middle 40's. I remember what seemed like 100's of small boats fishing the area.

If we went for a walk, North, we got to a "cliff", seemed like a mile down to a 5 year old. I remember many boats in that area also.

Makes my head hurt, to go that far back in time....lol

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#961293 - 07/22/16 06:20 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: The Moderator]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
Originally Posted By: paker
[quote=GEAR MONGER 2]I remember those days out front. Been a while. The 5 min ballard bite.

Than you remember John (always had his dog on the boat with him) and Casey. Ballard High Liners! smile

I knew them and a bunch more. Some were faces on the water...some were good friends. Ther were a bunch of good fishermen. I knew Raileys befote they got the bait dock. Dave anyway.. i saw one of the millers at no point today. I imagine Casey is retired from the RR and fishing out there somewere. Lost track of him. Stone passed.. so did Stew. Lost track of almost all those guys.

#961309 - 07/22/16 09:04 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Parker, we never did catch a big fish off your dock.

Who remembers Frenchie? He was a fixture at the Locks. My uncle Connie was one of the top steelheaders down there in the day.

Casey is still around, He fishes out of a black Lund. You"ll see him at Meadow, West Point and Richmond Beach.

My brother worked at Ballard Bait for Dan and Vera. We used to fish live bait off the dock and catch some really nice salmon.

Oh the memories......

#961323 - 07/23/16 08:44 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
I will have to keep a eye out for a blk lund. Be nice to see him..

Must have been neat to live on the beach parker. That lil bay put out some nice dollies too. Put alot of fish in the boat fishing the canal in those days. Good place to get ran over, and cut off.. lol. Or have your fish run into a trible net.

#961603 - 07/27/16 09:50 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Summer Chinook Fishery Quotas
Marine Area 9 Quota: 3,056

Total catch as of July 24, 2016: 2,284

Marine Area 10 Quota: 1,395

Total catch as of July 24, 2016: 246

#961607 - 07/27/16 10:46 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: ]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
SF

Thanks for the updated quota/catch posting for MAs 9 & 10. I did a quick search for MA-11 but found nada, do you have those numbers by any chance ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what the quota is for MA 11 as I don't fish down there for salmon anymore.
The regs say it may close early if chinook guideline is attained...
not sure what that guideline is though.
Perhaps someone else can chime in an answer your question.
SF

#961608 - 07/27/16 10:53 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: The Moderator]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: paker
Originally Posted By: GEAR MONGER 2
I remember those days out front. Been a while. The 5 min ballard bite.

Than you remember John (always had his dog on the boat with him) and Casey. Ballard High Liners! smile

The 5 minute bite. So true.....

Used to pick up a ton of fish from Rays to the black train bride. Mooching in amongst the boat traffic coming in/out of the Locks! Fun times!

As a young kid, I hooked, played, and landed a nice king directly out in front of Rays. I can still remember the drunk diners up on the deck at Rays hootin' and hollerin' as this 11 year old kid was battling a 20+lb. King! smile

Apparently Captain Q and his friend used to fish off of our dock in Magnolia.

Found this photo in my archives. Not too sure what the numbered labels are for, but here's my guess......

1) Where I used to live.
2) Where I used to take my boat in the winter and find L9 and U20 flatfish lost by the plunkers at the Locks. Also where we hand lined in a king after snagging the broken off line with our mooching gear.
3) Where I ran across a poacher with a net strung from the beach to the lumber. He threatened to kill me if I never told anyone.
4) Where I got spooled by a king swinging spoons
5) Where we would plunk for steelhead using L9 and U20 flatfish
6) Where my brother would sneak over and swing spoons for kings.
7) ? Besides a bridge? I think the homeless and tweakers would also be hiding out under neath it.
8) Where the tweakers would stash our stolen fishing gear.

cool stuff!

#961628 - 07/27/16 12:07 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: stonefish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
SF

Thanks for the updated quota/catch posting for MAs 9 & 10. I did a quick search for MA-11 but found nada, do you have those numbers by any chance ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what the quota is for MA 11 as I don't fish down there for salmon anymore.
The regs say it may close early if chinook guideline is attained...
not sure what that guideline is though.
Perhaps someone else can chime in an answer your question.
SF

One of my bobber beach buddies has landed 3 beach Chinook in area 9, has to spend the night near the beach as the Chinook are only there O'dark thirty.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#961849 - 07/29/16 09:04 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
Not much going on in area 11, fished 3 different tides this last week and nothing, not many boats out. Fished 3 tree and Beals
Have not heard of any fish being caught

#961851 - 07/29/16 09:15 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
King of the Beach

Summer Chinook Fishery Quotas
Marine Area 9 Quota: 3,056

Total catch as of July 28, 2016: 2,381

Marine Area 10 Quota: 1,395

Total catch as of July 28, 2016: 324

#961970 - 07/30/16 05:40 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Spoke with Deputy Chief Cenci at the protest rally on the Skok this afternoon and he had no emergent info on a closure date. Expect that when it happens it will be slammed hard and loud!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#961976 - 07/30/16 06:48 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I'm hearing 9 should fish through Monday (maybe). 10 should at least make it through next weekend (probably).

#962036 - 07/31/16 11:27 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
There's a rumor going around the south sound that a quota was fabricated for MA-11 and 13, but not published with the reg's when the permit came through? Anybody hear that one?

fb

#962039 - 08/01/16 05:49 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
fishbadger-
If you check you 2016-2017 fishing regulation pamphlet you will see that for MA 11 under the salmon season the following wording is highlighted in yellow

'"Season may close earlier if CHINOOK guidelines are attained."

The exact same wording can be found under the summer salmon seasons for MA 5, 9, 10, and 11.

That wording can also be found during the winter "blackmouth" seasons for MA 6, 7, 8-1, 8-2, 9, 10 and 11

Curt

#962040 - 08/01/16 06:38 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Thanks Smalma. . .and that published guideline was. . .unpublished?

Specific numbers were given for the quotas in the other areas if memory serves,

fb

#962045 - 08/01/16 08:35 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
King of the Beach

Any updates on MA 9 & 10?
Thanks,
SF

Edited by stonefish (08/01/16 08:36 AM)

#962048 - 08/01/16 09:12 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
9 should be open through tomorrow. Point No Point / Skunk Bay has been producing. Lots of really, really small bait and matching the hatch has been working well. 10 is still a long ways from meeting quota.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |