Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#960993 - 07/17/16 09:24 AM Re: Sekiu and Neah Bay reports [Re: SaltyDawg27]
SaltyDawg27 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Canyon Park / Bothell
Sol Duc. How can you call it a dump when you haven't been there for a couple years? Maybe you should try engaging your brain before you throw your mouth in gear. Got nothing better to do than spew your negativity on this thread? Just go away and be a good boy.

#960998 - 07/17/16 11:01 AM Re: Sekiu and Neah Bay reports [Re: SaltyDawg27]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
"New owners? This has got be an improvement. Hopefully they will sink some money into that dump."

Not much done, still a dump, you should stay away.

#961035 - 07/18/16 07:36 AM Re: Sekiu and Neah Bay reports [Re: SaltyDawg27]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

I fished Neah Bay from Sun - Thurs this last week. It was the slowest I've seen it in the 13 or so years I've fished there. On a normal year, I may fish there 20-30 times. I usually limit everyone on the boat every day except maybe one or two. This last week, we limited on only 2 days out of 5. The first day we fished down by Shark Fin. There were a number of commercial/native trollers in the area but we only managed one fish around 14#. Other than rockfish, that was the only bite we had. We fished bait behind flashers, spoons behind flashers, tomic plugs and hootchies at depth ranging from 120' -400' of cable and the area was basically a desert. Monday, we fished little prairie (the plateau just west of Tabletop) based on good reports there. The story was similar to the day before so we moved to Swiftsure after 2-3 hours. At Swiftsure, it was black mouth shaker after black mouth shaker. We went through dozens and by 6PM eventually limited on 6-10# chinook. In a normal year, the fish we kept would have been released. We hit Blue dot on Tues - it was also a desert and I think we got one 14# fish there.

Wed and Thurs we were resigned to just fishing Swiftsure. The shakers were far less abundant on those two day and we got 2 6-10# fish on Wed. and on Thurs a 6#, a 10# and 2 14# fish. Thurs was the only day we tagged out early - we were limited by 9:30 that day and had we not kept the two smaller ones we could have probably (?) found a couple more in the 14# range. All other days were full 8-12 hour days with very little to show for it other than a nice fuel bill. Once we had Swiftsure dialed is as best we could, by far the best producer was a Funky Chicken coyote spoon behind a green glow flasher fished at about 150' on the cable. Deeper and shallower were both attempted but the bite seemed best around 150' +/- 30'. The spoon outfished choked herring behind the flasher by a factor of 4-5. We had bites on everything we tried - plugs, other spoons, hootchies, bait - but the most effective by far was the coyote spoon.

We left with a reasonable amount of fillets of tasty chinook but far less than a normal year. Reports from the trollers indicate that the bigger chinook (most likely the Columbia run) are 45 miles offshore at the 90 fathom line. That's a long run for a couple of recreational chinook but I wish we had gone the extra 10-15 miles once we were already at Blue Dot.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |