THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#961560 - 07/26/16 04:00 PM Re: large Yellow belly spotted native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Neat thread. I'm not always positive whether I've caught a resident or a sea-run, but my local cricks host both. I typically catch a couple 20+ fish each season, and I think those have all been residents. I have caught a 23" SRC in the salt, and it looked like a small steelhead (shape-wise). That's why I've usually guessed the more slender ones I catch are SRCs. I could very easily be wrong. Either way, big cutts are awesome.

#961591 - 07/26/16 09:38 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
I got a couple up high on a local river today. Not much size 12" and 14". Missed a BIG one on an orange madamX dry. The big one i missed had a yellow belly. Must have been sea runs. All the same little stretch of water next to a downed tree. I always thought this was a sea run. Spots all the way to the pectoral fins and slender. free picture upload

Edited by jgreen (07/26/16 09:43 PM)

#961597 - 07/27/16 07:19 AM Re: large Yellow belly spotted native cutthroats ? [Re: Steeldrifter]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: Steeldrifter
Here's a Purdy one from way up high on a local river.

Originally Posted By: Steeldrifter
Here's a Purdy one from way up high on a local river.

Dood! That is screen saver material right there!

beer
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#961696 - 07/27/16 06:21 PM Re: large Yellow belly spotted native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
osprey2015 Offline
Fry

Nice fish posts !!

#961709 - 07/27/16 07:52 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Yellow bellys

Attachments
IMG_20160727_1693.jpg

#961717 - 07/27/16 08:11 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
What type of cutt is that Chromer?

Westslopes take on that redish orange belly as well. Here is one from the upper Yakima.
SF

Edited by stonefish (07/27/16 08:12 PM)

#961731 - 07/27/16 10:07 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
chrome/22 Offline

Brian, PM sent.

Strawberry cutt

Attachments
IMG_20160727_10922.jpg

#961732 - 07/27/16 10:15 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
chrome/22 Offline

Intense headshot, apex cuttie.

Attachments
IMG_20160727_25921.jpg

#961760 - 07/28/16 12:46 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
It seems to me that most pics of SRCs from the sound (and the few that I have caught) seem to retain their spots and throat slash a lot more than the ones (which I have a lot more experience) on the coast which enter their streams (no matter their size) generally dime bright with a throat slash that is very faded.

I hear lots of talk of 20" + SRCs but have seen very few and caught or lost even less. Years ago I saw a 23" that a guy caught. Pictures? Some of the pics above don't qualify as SRCs.

Heres a 15" coastal SRC I caught a couple years ago:

[img:left][/img]

#961763 - 07/28/16 01:23 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
King of the Beach

I think the coloration of the anadromous life form of coastal cutthroat in Puget Sound and Hood Canal really depends on the time of year.
Many of the fish we catch in the salt in late spring into say June are chrome bright and you can't see the jaw slashes at all.
Catch those same fish in the salt in December and they'll look totally different, with many displaying golden hues, very noticeable spots and much more pronounce jaw slashes.

Catching any coastal cutthroat over 20" is something to celebrate. I've fished for them a long time and have only one that I've actually measure that exceeded the 20" mark. I do have a few that haunt me though that I've seen, including two that I've lost in the past few years. The fact I know they are there keeps me coming back.
SF

#961773 - 07/28/16 03:06 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A lesson learned. The first year we were trapping a stream we got a dime-bright fish that had not many spots and no color but silver. ID'd it as a steelhead jack. Fortunately, we tagged it. Came downstream as a SRCT female kelt. We saw her a few more years; she even spent the summer in a local lake. After that first return she was dark colored. Don't think we ever got any others that were that bright.

#961803 - 07/28/16 07:27 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: Carcassman]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

My experience has been newly arrived coastal SRC's, mid-summer/Fall, tend to be pretty silvery with faint spots and a barely noticeable orange jaw slash. As they stage in their river from late Fall/Winter/early Spring The more vivid colors come out. This is when they become eye candy IMO.

Here's one from a few winters ago caught while chasing wild winter steel. It's my biggest at an estimated 18-19" and also sports those wicked leopard spots.

#961804 - 07/28/16 07:39 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
King of the Beach

Beautiful cutthroat Eric.
SF

#961807 - 07/28/16 07:44 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
osprey2015 Offline
Fry

Really pretty fish keep being posted ! Leopard Cutts..wow !
The lower coastal tidewater fish I see..and on the western peninsula, are almost all silver and fat coming in or silver and skinny going out (kelt).

I know the fish coloring can change to mimic their water and anything glacial really has bland silver coloring and the small streams with darker water and shade-and beaver ponds, can produce some really surprising eye-catching colors.

Love the variety within the watersheds!

Edited by osprey2015 (07/28/16 07:45 PM)

#961812 - 07/28/16 08:38 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
A friend and I used to catch really big src's from the little creeks at the south end of Hood Canal, and a few out of the Skok. We'd fish nightcrawlers on opening day, and it was typical to get at least one in excess of 20" if we worked all the creeks in all the sweet spots.

I can think of at least a half dozen fish my friend had pics of that were in the 23-24" range. But he died about 10 years ago, and I have no idea where those photos are now. He also had photos of rainbows he'd catch out of Island Lake in Shelton that people would not fuckin' believe. I've had plenty of people scoff at this - and I suppose I don't blame them. I remember the first time I fished those creeks with my friend. He caught a 22 incher, and I caught 2 that were just under 20". I couldn't believe that frogwater could have fish like that. His brother almost disowned him for taking me, but we fished every opening day from that point on, while his brother lost the commitment to get off work and get up early. We caught fish all day, but every toad was caught before it was all the way light.

In my experience, the big SRC's were typically very silvery with faint spots. A few of them had the full blown spots like the one in Eric's photo. The yellow bellied cutts were the one we used to catch in the beaver ponds around Shelton. You can still see a couple of those ponds right by 101 as you go past Wallace Kneeland Blvd on your way north - that was before the freeway went in. We'd catch them in the Deckerville swamp area of the Satsop, too. I don't know if the Satsop fish were SRC's or if they stayed in the Satsop's stillwater area, but those fish typically had the fatter yellow bellies than the SRC's we'd catch of the Hood Canal creeks.

I love cutties because they're beautiful fish, and you can catch them all over the place. The smaller to medium sized ones are aggressive biters, and fight really well. The big fish are at least as challenging as a steelhead to catch, and because of the small, brush filled creeks we fished for them in, landing one was a huge challenge. I miss fishing with my friend on opening day for those awesome fish.

It bums me out that we killed so many of those fish. We were kids, and didn't realize the impact we probably had. We'd go out, kill a few, and take them home and eat them for dinner.

I haven't fished those creeks since they banned bait, but I get the feeling that a fly guy could have pretty good luck out there with a sculpin pattern fished on the bottom. Every single big cutty we caught out there had its belly stuffed with little sculpins. I'm not sure if they stuffed on them in the salt and then blazed upstream, or if they we eating them in the creeks, but they had a taste for sculpin.

Great thread - and thanks for sharing the photos. Unfortunately, back when I was catching SRC's on a regular basis, there was no such thing as a cell phone or digital camera, and I was too broke to afford a SLR.

I might have to buy a fly rod, and start fishing them in the salt. It sounds like cutty fishing in the south sound can be pretty good - and I need to get out there and reconnect. Can that sh!t be done with a spin rod, or will everyone clown me and make me feel bad about myself?

smile

Jesus - I was rambling there. IPA rofl

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#961814 - 07/28/16 09:16 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
King of the Beach

Dan,
I think anyone that has fished for searun cutts for a long time regrets some of the big fish we harvested. That was a different time and we didn't know any better.
The south sound and the canal provide the best searun cutthroat fishing in my opinion.
I see a number of anglers each year having success with light spinning rods tossing spinners and spoons with single barbless hooks.
Searun cutt fishing has help fill the void for me in regards to lackluster local steelhead fishing or blown out rivers.
You mentioned sculpins. This pattern has worked very well for me twitched across the bottom. Sculpins and polychaete worms have accounted for a lot of my larger salty cutts recently.
SF

#961815 - 07/28/16 09:25 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
That's a great looking fly.

The fish in the bellies of these cutts were partially digested, but they always made me think of a deer hair fly with a smooth body back - like the body in your pic, except without the color and a rounder head,

What marine areas are you typically fishing, stoney?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#961816 - 07/28/16 09:33 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
King of the Beach

Dan,
I generally fish cutts in the salt in MA 12 and 13.....searun central.
Some might enjoy reading this study in regards to the diet of coastal cutthroat.
Chum play a huge roll in southern cutthroat.
SF

http://docs.streamnetlibrary.org/CoastalCutthroatData/sn600219.pdf

Edited by stonefish (07/28/16 09:37 PM)

#961817 - 07/28/16 09:36 PM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: Dan S.]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
A friend and I used to catch really big src's from the little creeks at the south end of Hood Canal, and a few out of the Skok. We'd fish nightcrawlers on opening day, and it was typical to get at least one in excess of 20" if we worked all the creeks in all the sweet spots.

I can think of at least a half dozen fish my friend had pics of that were in the 23-24" range. But he died about 10 years ago, and I have no idea where those photos are now. He also had photos of rainbows he'd catch out of Island Lake in Shelton that people would not fuckin' believe. I've had plenty of people scoff at this - and I suppose I don't blame them. I remember the first time I fished those creeks with my friend. He caught a 22 incher, and I caught 2 that were just under 20". I couldn't believe that frogwater could have fish like that. His brother almost disowned him for taking me, but we fished every opening day from that point on, while his brother lost the commitment to get off work and get up early. We caught fish all day, but every toad was caught before it was all the way light.

In my experience, the big SRC's were typically very silvery with faint spots. A few of them had the full blown spots like the one in Eric's photo. The yellow bellied cutts were the one we used to catch in the beaver ponds around Shelton. You can still see a couple of those ponds right by 101 as you go past Wallace Kneeland Blvd on your way north - that was before the freeway went in. We'd catch them in the Deckerville swamp area of the Satsop, too. I don't know if the Satsop fish were SRC's or if they stayed in the Satsop's stillwater area, but those fish typically had the fatter yellow bellies than the SRC's we'd catch of the Hood Canal creeks.

I love cutties because they're beautiful fish, and you can catch them all over the place. The smaller to medium sized ones are aggressive biters, and fight really well. The big fish are at least as challenging as a steelhead to catch, and because of the small, brush filled creeks we fished for them in, landing one was a huge challenge. I miss fishing with my friend on opening day for those awesome fish.

It bums me out that we killed so many of those fish. We were kids, and didn't realize the impact we probably had. We'd go out, kill a few, and take them home and eat them for dinner.

I haven't fished those creeks since they banned bait, but I get the feeling that a fly guy could have pretty good luck out there with a sculpin pattern fished on the bottom. Every single big cutty we caught out there had its belly stuffed with little sculpins. I'm not sure if they stuffed on them in the salt and then blazed upstream, or if they we eating them in the creeks, but they had a taste for sculpin.

Great thread - and thanks for sharing the photos. Unfortunately, back when I was catching SRC's on a regular basis, there was no such thing as a cell phone or digital camera, and I was too broke to afford a SLR.

I might have to buy a fly rod, and start fishing them in the salt. It sounds like cutty fishing in the south sound can be pretty good - and I need to get out there and reconnect. Can that sh!t be done with a spin rod, or will everyone clown me and make me feel bad about myself?

smile

Jesus - I was rambling there. IPA rofl

tl;dr probably a new cookie recipe.

#961828 - 07/29/16 05:25 AM Re: Yellow belly spotted-coastal native cutthroats ? [Re: osprey2015]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
A couple of years ago I took my left over herring from beach fishing for coho with me to Meadowdale Park(Screw that hike) and caught 3 nice SRC's in short order with the bobber herring deal while a couple of fly guys(not in the stonefish class) got zero.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, Krijack, steely slammer), 984 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |