Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#962786 - 08/14/16 09:34 AM area 11 No Fish
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
This has been the worst year for fishing area 11, I have gone out to fish the high tide on various days to 3 tree pt, Beals, Lincoln Park and Dolphin with no fish being caught, have not seen a net out and have not heard of anything being caught. To make matters worse it closes at end of August, that will be the earliest closure that I can recall.....Anybody catching anything in sound?????

#962881 - 08/16/16 11:55 AM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Odd that this thread is seeing more viewers than the PSAGH Derby results. While not being hot fishing by any means there were Derby fish caught - sort of answers the OP's question.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#962897 - 08/16/16 01:55 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I was just skimming through the catch records for 2014 for area 11. Without coho being caught, my guess is that the average catch will be about one for every 10 trips for august. Considering all the older guys I see that have it dialed in, the catch for the rest of us is probably one out of 20. Don't fell bad, though, the average fish per punch card for Pierce County residents is less than one.

Edited by Krijack (08/16/16 01:56 PM)

#962910 - 08/16/16 02:55 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Laughing - Just being old doesn't ensure having it dialed in.

#962918 - 08/16/16 05:37 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
ronnie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lacey
Originally Posted By: fishenfool
This has been the worst year for fishing area 11, I have gone out to fish the high tide on various days to 3 tree pt, Beals, Lincoln Park and Dolphin with no fish being caught, have not seen a net out and have not heard of anything being caught. To make matters worse it closes at end of August, that will be the earliest closure that I can recall.....Anybody catching anything in sound?????

There has been a salmon derby among the beach houses north of the Des Moines marina every Labor Day week-end since 1945. So I would guess that it has never been closed in September. (?) Is area 11 closed to all fishing or just salmon? We could have a sand dab derby. Or better yet; a dog fish derby. If we fished for dog fish, could we be ticketed for fishing for salmon?

#962920 - 08/16/16 06:34 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Regs = MA 11 Salmon-Entire Area

June 1 - Aug 31 & Feb 1 - Apr 30

OTHER FOOD FISH - open year around.

Food Fish definition includes Bottomfish. Bottomfish definition includes all species of shark which would seem to include dogfish although they are not specifically listed. Note that sixgill, sevengill and thresher sharks are separately listed as being closed.

So, looks like dogfish are okay. Couldn't ask for more.....

#962923 - 08/16/16 07:00 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Ya Sure Ya Betcha

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#962925 - 08/16/16 08:26 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: blackmouth]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Ja, and washed down with Aquavit. Or maybe the Aquavit first. grin

#962932 - 08/16/16 11:39 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
....or you could call it a "Rock Salmon" derby.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_salmon

Rock salmon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rock salmon, also called rock eel, flake, huss or Sweet William, is a dish popular in Britain, based on shark, often served as part of a fish and chips supper.

The dish can be one of many species of small shark, including the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias), Rough-hound (Scyliorhinus canicula) or the bull huss (Scyliorhinus stellaris).

Rock salmon is consumed in many European countries. However, the spiny dogfish is now an endangered species due to overfishing, and is classed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List[1] and the North East Atlantic population is Critically Endangered.[2]

#962934 - 08/17/16 08:13 AM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
We fished Dolphin Point and Southworth yesterday. Very slow. Two small jacks were all the action we had.

#962937 - 08/17/16 09:20 AM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Rock Salmon Derby - that would certainly be several steps above a Dogfish derby. But don't overlook the possibility of a Ratfish derby. Huge biomass in Puget Sound and more difficult to catch than dogfish.

Washington Ratfish Classic - has a certain ring to it.....

Need more coffee.

#962944 - 08/17/16 11:56 AM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: ]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oly
I have a buddy who has been doing quite well. Averaging 2 - 3 fish per day. Daylight bite then done. Tide irrelevant. I'd post some of the pics he's sent but I don't have his permission. It's probably like bouy 10, lots of fish, few biters..............

My buddy has been fishing this area for a LOOOOONG time. He is an Ace high fly guy....................

#962962 - 08/17/16 03:58 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Area 11 will unfortunately close on Friday at midnight due to the legal size encounter quota having been met and nearly exceeded.

#962963 - 08/17/16 04:20 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
S-G,
What was the MA 11 quota?
The MA 9 & 10 were well published, but I couldn't find much on MA 11.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
SF

#962964 - 08/17/16 04:30 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Stonefish-
There was no catch quota, but a "Legal sized adult encounter quota" (mouthful, huh?) where:

"Fisheries controls: ....however, if in season estimates indicate total chinook encounters will exceed 80% of the preseason modeled legal size encounters, WDFW will initiate co-manager discussions regarding potential fishery actions. WDFW will ensure that the fishery does not exceed 2546 predicted legal size chinook encounters"

So what this means is that fish retained or not counted towards this agreed-to management objective to appease the south sound tribes during the post NOF negotiations.

The WDFW has not met with the tribes yet, but had an emergency meeting with advisors today to discuss the most recent estimates. It was mutually agreed that the season should close prematurely to stay beneath the total agreed encounters in MA11.

After dropping the facts on you, I painfully refraining from any personal opinion.

#962966 - 08/17/16 04:36 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
S-G
Thank you for the reply.
I'd much rather see them publish a quota number then that legal sized encounter BS.

My above comment isn't directed at you as I know you are only the messenger. I appreciate the info and updates you've provided during the process and seasons.
SF

Edited by stonefish (08/17/16 10:18 PM)

#962984 - 08/17/16 09:49 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Somebody's been stuffing the ballot boxes with those mail-in catch records. Guaranteed.

Run hasn't even shown up yet.

Total BS.

fb

#962995 - 08/18/16 10:25 AM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
How much lower than normal was the area 11 catch supposed to be. Just took a quick look at 2013 data and about 3400 were taken. Add in the fact that about 2500 fish should be available from the shortened Nisqually river season and up to 2300 from the Puyallup closure (some will be picked up in the carbon so the overall number will be less) and I am wondering how bad we are being taken.

#963037 - 08/18/16 02:09 PM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
There she goes! Remember when you could catch Chinook like this in Puget Sound during the month of August!!!

FISHING RULE CHANGE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

August 17, 2016

Salmon season closes Aug. 20 in Marine Area 11

Action: Closes salmon fishing in Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), excluding the fishing piers.

Effective Date: 12:01 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 20, through 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016.

Species affected: Salmon.

Reason for action: Preliminary estimates indicate that anglers will exceed the preseason guideline for encounters - retaining or releasing fish - with legal-sized chinook in Marine Area 11. The chinook fishery is being closed to control impacts on stocks of concern and ensure compliance with conservation objectives.

Other information: Anglers can fish for chinook in other Puget Sound marine areas, including area 7 (San Juan Islands), south of Ayock Point in area 12 (Hood Canal), area 13 (South Puget Sound), Sinclair Inlet, and Tulalip Terminal Area.

Area 11 fishing piers that remain open through Aug. 31 include Dash Point Dock, Les Davis Pier, Des Moines Pier, Redondo Pier, and Point Defiance Boathouse Dock. Marine Area 11 is scheduled to reopen in February for chinook.

For specific regulations, anglers should consult the 2016-17 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at http: //wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Information contact: Ryan Lothrop, (360) 902-2808

Attachments
ATT00528.jpg

joe's fish pics repost 3 118118.jpg

joe's fish pics repost 3 131131.jpg

#963233 - 08/21/16 10:17 AM Re: area 11 No Fish [Re: fishenfool]
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
WENT OUT Friday EVENING and caught and released a 8lb and 12lb hatchery Silvers and killed my first area 11 King of the year. Now why do we have to release hatchery Silvers and why do the Puyallup tribes get to net in the river when they are the ones to blame for overfishing and causing the lack of Kings in area 11??? I know they Run the Hatcheries on the Puyallup, but they need to better control their catch. Last year was pretty dismal but I still caught 20 plus Kings in area 11, this year was Terrible..............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |