River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 15, 2016

WDFW invites applications to new Puget Sound steelhead advisory group

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking applications through August 31 for membership on a new ad hoc advisory group that will assist in developing management options for Puget Sound steelhead.

The new advisory group will meet twice monthly through December to develop recommendations that support conservation objectives and improve sustainable fishing opportunities for steelhead in tributaries to Puget Sound.

The group's primary task will be to develop fishery and hatchery management strategies tailored to specific watersheds throughout Puget Sound, said Jim Scott, special assistant to the WDFW director. As part of that effort, the group will also be asked to help identify a new wild steelhead gene bank in north Puget Sound.

"We are looking for applicants who are well-acquainted with the fisheries, hatchery programs and ecological issues of watersheds throughout the Puget Sound area," Scott said. "We plan to draw on their knowledge as the department works with federal fishery managers on steelhead recovery planning efforts."

WDFW plans to make a final decision on river-specific management strategies and a gene bank in north Puget Sound later this year after receiving input from the advisory group and completing discussions with tribal fishery managers.

Applications for membership in the Puget Sound Steelhead Advisory Group must be submitted in writing with the following information:

Applicant's name, address, telephone number and email address.
Relevant experience and reasons for wanting to serve as a member of the advisory group.
Applicant's effectiveness in communication.
Name and contact information for any individual or organization submitting a nomination.

Applications must be received by Sept. 1. They may be submitted to Cathy Davidson by mail: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA, 98501; or email at Cathy.Davidson@dfw.wa.gov. For more information, contact Jim Scott at (360) 902-2736.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

#962851 - 08/15/16 06:59 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Jim Scott? Might give him a call in the AM!

Bit of a short notice on posting and a rather short window from Sept to December to make that "final" decision on river-specific management strategies and a gene bank on a north Puget Sound river system.

Sounds to me like the cake is already baked on this one folks... :-/

Sure would like to get out on the Skagit again but me thinks that's not in the cards and will never be again...

#962941 - 08/17/16 10:31 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Will WDFW make the membership selection process transparent? The timeline would seem to limit the opportunity for individuals and groups to make nominations and then for WDFW to go through a selection process.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#962942 - 08/17/16 10:31 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I applied, hope I can help make a difference.

#962946 - 08/17/16 12:01 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I think I will apply for this too.

#962947 - 08/17/16 12:18 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I thought about it but the next two months are already planned and I'd miss all the meetings.

Seems like an awfully short turn around time to do do much more than confirm what has been decided internally.

#962949 - 08/17/16 12:29 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Glad to read you two are available and willing to play. Like the Carc I have things on the agenda plus with the new NOAA rockfish plan out I suspect what little time I have in the fall will be tied up there.

#962991 - 08/18/16 09:31 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: Carcassman]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Seems like an awfully short turn around time to do do much more than confirm what has been decided internally. [/quote]

Glad to see I was not the only one to feel this way! Business as usual I see...

#962992 - 08/18/16 09:48 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: OLD FB]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: OLD FB
Seems like an awfully short turn around time to do do much more than confirm what has been decided internally.

Glad to see I was not the only one to feel this way! Business as usual I see... [/quote]

No, you're not the only one. The additional question is whether the selection process will be slanted toward Department objectives. "Can't have any discourse ya know - we're on a time crunch to get 'er done!"

Damn shame these are the initial perspectives of stakeholders.

#962993 - 08/18/16 09:54 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Respect and trust are earned.

#963146 - 08/20/16 07:28 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: Salmo g.]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I think I will apply for this too.

I can't think of a better member for it!

#963174 - 08/20/16 01:16 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
I already applied. I guess we will see what happens.

#963257 - 08/22/16 07:35 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
I applied as well!

Curt

#963260 - 08/22/16 09:58 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

This is shaping up like a Puget Sound All Stars team! It will be interesting to see how many of you get nominated. I hope it's all of you, of course.

#963271 - 08/22/16 05:27 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Although I do not have the extensive knowledge base of a Salmo G. or Smalma, I hope to contribute in as productive of a way and I cannot think of two more qualified people.

Good luck,

Streamer

Edited by Streamer (08/22/16 05:28 PM)

#963293 - 08/23/16 01:53 PM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
gotta play to win! good luck Steve and Curt! We need insiders that we can trust..I trust you!

#963322 - 08/24/16 09:14 AM Re: New Puget Sound steelhead ad hoc committee [Re: bushbear]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Feel better about you guys in this than the Hatchery Haters. We need to keep the rivers open for fishing not as some shrine were we go to pray to a fish.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 345 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |